• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fourstroke ?

Rivernut

Question

Looking to upgrade from a 2 stroke to a 4. My boat is rated for a 50 horse. It's a '96. Does it matter if it is a 2 or4 stroke? Is the extra weight of a 4 figured in, or is it more of a power issue vs. weight. Thank's for any and all responses. Mike

6 answers to this question

The difference in motor weight is minimal. Either motor will work fine and be in compliance with your plate.

Personally, I would go with a four stroke. I just don't like messing around with the two stroke oil and always having to add it, not to mention it's expensive. If you like to troll with your motor, use a four for quietness and I believe more reliability.

I made the switch from 2 to 4 stoke on my 96 boat a few years ago. Best thing I ever did. I absolutely love the 4 stroke. I have an injected 40 Merc, which has been perfect for four years. Make sure you properly break it in if you are buying new.

Like other have said the weight difference for that size motor isnt all that much. If you are really interested, look at a site like nadaguides and look up a couple newer 4 strokes and 2 strokes, they list the engine weight in the specs.

For smaller motors, like 10 - 25 hp, there is a significant weight difference, the 4 strokes are about 20 - 35% heavier.

I also have switched last summer on my 96 - 17 ft . My boat was pretty well under powered having a 25 merc 2 stroke since new . It is rated for 45 hp , I don't know why I waited this long but now I'm loving my 40 hp merc 4 stroke EFI .

I purchased a new 50 Merc, 4-stroke this year and its quiet, trolls down very slow and is great on fuel economy.

I would not go back after buying this motor.