• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

In the market for a new truck

Pistol Pete

Question

time for a new truck,but what to buy. I usually by a f-150. The one I have now has been good and get resonable milage. Does anybody here drive a Toyota Tacoma?? Toyota's web site says 18-21mpg with a 6cly 4x4. You can add a tow package and tow up to 6500lbs. What are people really getting for milage with these trucks? Would be nice to get better milage while on a prairie dog or pheasant hunting trip yet still be able to pull the boat.

I own a 97 Tacoma Extra -Cab with a 3.4 ltr.V-6 which is rated at 190 hp. I get 16-22 mpg depending on what I'am doing with it. I tow a 1660 Lund Pro-V with it and get around 16-18 mpg doing that. The newer tacomas have a 4.0 ltr. in them rated around 240 h.p. I'm thinking that they really must have some go juice behind them cause my 3.4 is no slacker! Tough, reliable,and built for longevity. I know I like mine.

It all depends on how you drive. One person may get 18mph with a particular truck and I could jump in that same truck with boat on the back and get 10mph with my driving style.

If mileage is important, go manual transmission. I had an 89 with a v-6 and a manual, and it did well, mileage wise. I have a 02 Tacoma with an automatic and the mileage isn't nearly as good. It can pull, but I wish I had gone with a manual.

Why are you considering a down size from a full size to a mid-size? If mileage is a concern, take a look at the Tundra. My Bro-in-law just bought a new '07. This thing SPANKS my 07 F-150. I get 15mpg, he gets 20+mpg. way more power, better mileage.

Quote:

Why are you considering a down size from a full size to a mid-size? If mileage is a concern, take a look at the Tundra. My Bro-in-law just bought a new '07. This thing SPANKS my 07 F-150. I get 15mpg, he gets 20+mpg. way more power, better mileage.

smartthinkingef8.jpg

grin.gif

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you are shopping for a truck with pulling power and miliage you will be disappointed in at least one of the two areas, if not both. If you really need a truck to pull things get a truck that will do the job you need and just live with the economy you get. If you need to save gas get a cheap small car or take the bus. I will guarantee you that there is not a truck on the market that will make you 100% happy in all areas. I'd like to have a truck that gets 18+ MPG empty, has the ability to pull a 5th wheel camper or skid steer, seat 4 real size adults and cost less than my first house. When I find that truck I'll let you know.

You can achieve those with a diesel. They get great mileage unloaded, better than 1/2 ton gassers, and can pull anything you want. The upfront cost and a few more maintenance items can be a deterrant though.

Like I said, looking for one that cost less than my first house.

Boatfixer, I'd love a new Tundra. Owned one back in 200-2001. Did not get any better milage than my old f-150. I traded it in for a 2003 f-150 and the f-150 still got better milage. And when pulling the boat got 1.5 better milage. The new Tundra's are rated 14-18 mpg. Perhaps the one you are talking about in an exception, not the rule. Up front costs are just to high on a diesel. I do not do that much pulling. I do more hunting than fishing and want a truck that gets better milage than 15-17.5 just driving around. I've never owned a Tacoma and want some info on one, its that simple.

I get about 16 with my '05 Tundra, 13 when towing.

I belive the only Tundra rated for 20 mpg is the '07 2WD, to say a Tundra gets 20+ would be a streatch.

My buddy has a 05 4Runner which is essentually the same as the Tacoma, 4.0 liter motor and 240hp. We got 20mpg towing my boat [16.5 ft alumacraft] up to Lake of the Woods and back. It is a very nice SUV, but not real chiep. For what its worth, I get 16-18 towing and 20-22 regular in my 04 Silverado WT. I never drive over 70mph and always use cruse.

The word is out that Ford will be bringing out an F150 with a diesel in a couple of years. It should get good mileage and have good pulling power also.

Long time comming, I think they would be a good seller!

Does anyone have the new Silverado with the active fuel management ( runs on fewer cylinders when power not needed)? I have 05 F150 and I'm looking to get another truck but the gas is killing me on the work commute. Just wondering if this technology is working or not...

Huntfish ~

My neighbor just got a Silverado work truck that has this technology in it, however it runs off batteries when idleing or speeds lower than 12 mph. It sounds like something is wrong with it when I first heard it activate, although obviously there wasn't. The RPM's drop to almost zero and you just hear a quiet humming.

I asked how many batteries were in the truck -- he thought 6 or 8. The truck is also has outlets in it for running generators, etc.

Quote:

Does anyone have the new Silverado with the active fuel management ( runs on fewer cylinders when power not needed)? I have 05 F150 and I'm looking to get another truck but the gas is killing me on the work commute. Just wondering if this technology is working or not...

I've got a friend with a V8 Trailblazer that has it. I don't know how his mileage is, but he hasn't had any complaints about it.

Eckie, As I understand it The Active Fuel Management is done with opening and closing of the valves on the engine cylinders. I don't think it has anything to do with batteries, I think your buddy has some other hybrid assist option or something...

Sorry for misreading your post. I stand corrected. My neighbor does have the new Hybrid Technology in his truck, which, after doing a little research is very different from the Active Fuel Management system. It appears from Chevy Website that EPA estimated MPG is 16 city, 20 hwy. I too, have a newer F150. This mileage doesn't seem to be much better than what I get now. FWIW, I also commute 45 miles one way. I picked up a 97 Mazda 626 for this reason. Keeps the mileage off the truck, and it averages 25-30 mpg.

Quote:

I'd like to have a truck that gets 18+ MPG empty, has the ability to pull a 5th wheel camper or skid steer, seat 4 real size adults and cost less than my first house. When I find that truck I'll let you know.

That description fit's my 03' Dodge 2500 4x4 Diesel 4-door to a T. I purchased the truck with 80,000 miles on it, and it cost a lot less than your first house I would imagine. It cost a decent amount less than a new 1500 and will last a couple hundred more miles!!! grin.gif

You don't need to purchase new to find a good deal!

Oh...and I paid a little over $20k..and the only thing it does not have is leather.

Edit: This past weekend we took my truck up to Grand Marais. Avg probably 75 mph (running around or just over 2000 rpm) I ended up with 18.3 mpg. That was 5 guys with golf clubs and additional gear, 1 16 gal. keg, and 5 cases of beer. I got 530 miles on 29 gallons of gas.....filled up at the very end of the tank!!! Mileage gets up around 20 if I take it easy on speed. I avg 17 mpg around town, and I also have 35" AT tires on this truck....it's a decent size rig.

Quote:

For what its worth, I get 16-18 towing and 20-22 regular in my 04 Silverado WT. I never drive over 70mph and always use cruse.

I find that hard to believe. I could drive 55mph in my '05 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab and be lucky to get 18mph and pulling a boat would be around 13mph at that same speed. I just don't see how this 20-22 regularly in a full size truck. Especially since city driving drops those numbers down a lot.

I drive mostly highway and my truck is the work truck version; 4.3 V6, 2wd and reg cab. Two very differnt Silverados.

The tundras achieve this with 401 ft lbs of torque. They have a six speed tranny with a double over drive. In sixth gear at 60 mph, it's turning about 1500 rpm's. ( If I remember correctly ). The truck is 4wd double cab.

Quote:

I get about 16 with my '05 Tundra, 13 when towing.

I belive the only Tundra rated for 20 mpg is the '07 2WD, to say a Tundra gets 20+ would be a streatch.

That sounds like the milage I have hear of from people I know with a tundra. I personally have a duramax and love it I got 16 MPG a few weeks back going to Lake Of The Woods with my prov behind it. The thing about a diesel is they can get good milage or bad and they have lots of factors that can effect it. Fuel itself and the speed you are traveling are the two biggest that I have found. I usually get one or 2 tanks a year over 20 mpg but they aren't that common. I typically run in the 17-18 mpg. Which is still better than any 1/2 ton I have had and I know have a truck that can pull pretty much anything. If I am not on the interstate and keep my speed between 55-60 it get way better milage. Flying on the interstate at 80 not as good. Winter fuel forget it is as good a gas motor at that points. But if you rack up a ton of miles a diesel might be an option for you as it was for me 2.5 years and I have put almost a 100k on mine. That is why I got a diesel in mine plus I needed a 6.5' (otter lodge) and I wanted a crew cab. So that what I got.

One thing everybody forgets it's transmissions.

If you want the REAL fuel saver go with a manual transmission, it will gain 4mpg/6mpg.

Unfortunately they are not available on every truck.

Dodge has them , Ford also, but Chevy is stuck with Allison which is and excellent tranny but it doesn't help mileage at all.

Unfortunately I haven't found the perfect truck yet, I tried the Japanese and ran away in a hurry, I still prefer the American brands due to the fact I tow a lot.

Chevy/GMC has a 6-speed manual....same tranny as the Ford hand shaker.

I guess I should say...DID have. Apparently they discontinued it after 2006 for lack of interest. Hard to beat the Allison.

Quote:

I guess I should say...DID have. Apparently they discontinued it after 2006 for lack of interest. Hard to beat the Allison.

vexduramax.gif

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

You probably can't afford to wait, but the big three are all going to offer diesel's in 1/2 ton models within the next 2-3 years. Should get solid gains: highway in mid 20's mpg and low 20's in town. Tow better than the gas models and have 30-45% better mileage.

The only downside I see is all the extra emissions equipment they will come with. Who knows how much maintenance they will require.

Yes that's all I wanted was info on a truck. What I didn't want was a smart a** reply about some web site I've never heard of. What I did want was answers to a question that was important to me. If it wasn't important to you do not reply to this thread.