• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

bigyooper

I fished the river last night around number 9. We ended up with 5 walleye smallest was 19" and a 4 pound blue. It was a bit slow but I think we caught more than the FLW G3 boat that I don't think ever got a line wet. The walleyes were really warm and slimey the meat was really mushy. The cat had better fillets than the walleye. If anyone fishes by number nine most of our hits came between the weeds and the buoy.

biff

By blue you mean channel? No blues in the st.louis. I like catfish but I wouldnt eat anything that is digging around in the bottom of the river all year. Fun to catch and release though.

Catfishunter

the two pounders are very tasty, but out of a little cleaner water. i do relese 98% off my cats, might keep a couple of thoose bottom feeding walleyes grin.gif

biff

Yeah, I like when people are like...ewww, those are bottom feeders. Meanwhile they have walleye on the stringer that pretty much do the same thing. I love eating smaller cats but just not out of the st.louis. There really arent a lot of good catfish areas near the duluth area. I eat a few out of the clouquet river but other than that and the st.louis I dont know of any other good nearby spots. The clouquet runs into island lake...anybody know if the lake itself has a decent catfish population?

EatSleepFish

pretty sure the cloquet flows OUT of Island, could be wrong though confused.gif

Heartman

Cloquet River flows into and out of Island Lake.

Muskie-searcher

Island Lake itself has the biggest catfish I have seen in the area. It is fairly unusual to get a cat over 10 pounds out of either the St. Louis or the Cloquet, but I have caught quite a few really big cats 30 to 37 inches out of Island Lake. I don't know how many are in there, but they are big. I have caught my fish in the upper half of the water column, not on the bottom, using large suckers on a quickstrike with northerns/muskies being the primary target. By the way there are a lot of big northerns and muskies in the lake as well.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• ZachD
      Its that time of year again pick up your heart guard and your flea and tick.  
    • Smoker2
      Where are you located?
    • eyeguy 54
      Time to get the yak ready. Might need to paddle a couple spots on the sippi soon. 
    • mrpike1973
      Nice Crappie!
    • Rick G
      Eyeguy and I made it out one last time yesterday. Access points are getting pretty bad in our area. Was finding roughly 2ft of  very chunky ice in the places we drilled holes. With the warm weather and bright sunahine we had, I'm guessing we lost a few inches through the day Fishing wasn't exactly fast and furious, we did get our fish... but really had to work for the quality.  The area we ended up finding our fish was a shallow 6-10ft dark bottom flat, close to where they will move come ice out.   It soon became apparent the fish we were targeting were almost swiming with their back right against the bottom of the ice, infact my two best crappies hit while my bait was only inches below my hole.  Baits we found better success with were the Northland slugbug and The Impulse Mayflies in bright colors. Jig size didn't seem to matter much due to the depth we were fishing. As I am typing this, my thoughts are already turning toward warmer days spent chasing smallies on the river. The boat and yak are soon to be ready, rods will be strung and so on. It was one heck of a long winter.... fished with some real good people from this site I had more good days than bad, got some monster fish locally... for these things I'm truly blesaed.... like I said,It's been a long winter....I'm glad it's over Pic is of my last big ice crappie for the season  
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      I will certainly keep you informed about the progress of the hatchery. I expect to see the nets and traps go in within the next two to three days. The run should be very strong as the fish are already moving into Pike Bay strongly. Cliff
    • Bigfatbert
      Thanks Cliff for your Pike River deteriorating ice reports and pics . I. Really want to show my wife the hatchery when the action is really happening this year , I would assume you will be right on that when this happens , is there any way that you can give a shout out on here as to just when this scenario is happening up there . With the warmer temps being quite steady now , I would think the run will be rather strong this year when things get going ..  
    • biff
    • CigarGuy
      I got the 4 smaller ones the other day. They are a little over 2" long and paid only $6.64 total to my door.  The quality seem pretty good, we shall see once I put them to some use! 
    • Bryan P
      Thanks Leech! Ya you need a life jacket in a kayak. I have mine behind my seat, but Yes I should be wearing it.