• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gervais report

Spook- which guy were you? I was the guy in the blaze orange cap with the fishtrap to the north of the point.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr. Pike1

• G_man

• jwilli7122

• SpikeRoberts

Howedoin, go to the MN DNR website, then select lakefinder, select the lake, and then you can go in and get stocking data for the lake or select lake map and print out at no cost. G-man is right however in that there are no GPS markings for these smaller lakes and struture is not as well defined as Mille Acs or some other larger more fished lakes. I know there is a finger bar just outside of the beach on the south side that comes up to 12 feet and drops off on the sides to 30 but you will not see this on the map it just gives you the generic break lines all aroune the lake.

mr. pike - my report is that I was not good enough to catch any walleyes today. Wasn't trying for crappies and didn't mark any suspended fish anyhow.
I was fishing 20 feet of the side of the point. Caught a bunch of perch during the daylight hours, then after they settled down around dusk, only marked a few fish. These fish seemed to watch my spoon intently from at least a foot or 2 away, they didn't come right up to it to look like perch and panfish usually do. Twice the fish suddenly decided to attack, rushing up a couple of feet and hitting the spoon without hesitation. I whiffed on the hookset both times, as I tend to do a lot when using whole minnows on spoons...but the fish seemed very uninterested in minnow heads so oh well.

Nobody else I talked to in that vicinity caught anything but perch, but one guy had his line snapped by something he said felt heavy.

Thanks for the report. I assume the after dusk hit was most likely a walleye. There does appear to be an unbelievable number of perch in the lake which can make the walleye bite a little slow at times...On the flip side however it should also plump up the eyes so when you do catch one and you will catch on it may be a chubby boy...

JWILLI - I was the guy in the 4x8 green and gold house (but not a Packer fan). I think you stopped by to see how we were doing. Didn't have much luck either. Wiffed on the few chances we had. Although we weren't far from you, we were in 34ft of water and also saw nothing suspended. I was marking fish on the bottom but couldn't get any to hit. I'm thinking of maybe hitting the shoreline directly across from the beach on Sunday evening if I can get all my "Honey-dos" done.

The Spook

Spooks, I am going to try a 3-6 run to Garvais as well as long as I get all my honey do's done as well. I was out with some guys from the board in St. Cloud. We caught several cat fish the largest was 8 lbs. It was a great time and great weather. First time I had caught a cat through the ice. We also got some small walleyes and some rock bass.

Spooks, if you go out on Garvais and cross from the beach be careful !!!! There is a patch of open water there. A tree brush and a large rock have been put on it to act as a marker. I am not sure what caused this hole to open. I can only assume it is a natural spring as I am not aware of any aeroter system in the lake. Someone on the lake told me that a snowmobiler went threw in that area last year...Anyway be safe when crossing and to best avoid this mystery open water area go across the lake from the left of the beach you should be fine. That open water does concern me because if there is a natural spring there could be others, and natual springs combined with this recent odd weather pattern could be a deadly combination...

Make sure you have your hand spikes in your pocket so you can pull yourself out of the water. The ice is very slippery right now and getting out would be difficult.

Also, I bought a spud today. Not because of MrPike's report but I think I will be walking out with it in hand.

One other trick I can think might be helpful would be to watch the air bubbles buried in the ice. I would think they should be able to help you indicate the ice depth.

Lastly, keep in mind houses/people surrounding the area you are walking. Hopefully someone is near enough to you to hear your shouting.

Stay Safe! I want to meet everyone keeping this thread alive out on Gervais some time or another this season.

Fished out from the beach this afternoon from 3:30 to 6:00. Found a break that went from 16ft to 28ft. Fished about 20ft. Lots of small perch before sundown and Zip after. Never even marked a fish on the flasher after sundown.

Drove by Phalen on the way home and noticed a portable that has been in the same spot every night for the last two weeks. Either pounding the fish or sneaking away from the wife. Might have to give that area a try this week.

The Spook

Spook- Sorry to hear of the negative walleye report. I was hoping there would be a great walleye report from you or someone. I did get a report from some guys fishing across the beach on that inside point (Sat night). They caught 2 Walleyes and missed a few. Stated they did graph a few others but could not bring them up to bite. With all those perch in the lake it is no wonder the walleye bite is slow..Check out my report on Long lake from this morning. I posted all the details...This lake is very near buy and the walleye bite is much better.

G-man- Did you get out on the water at all? I have this Friday off and will be going to Garvais or Long lake for an 6-9 a.m. run take care of business during the day and then I am going back out for a 3:00-6:00 run.

Spooks/Jwilli;

Hey gents! I was the guy in the camo shelter (3pm-8pm). I think I spoke with j-will when he was leaving. Not two minutes before you asked how I was doing, I had a strike that broke my line. I was all ready to pack it up and leave, but I stuck it out (had nothing better to do). Luckily too, cuz within 15 minutes I got a 16"er. Caught another 15"er within 15 minutes. Swedish pimple tipped with a crappie head. Released the 15'er.

Went out on again Sunday morning (6am - 9am) but saw nothing but perch at daybreak.

failinonphalen, Glad to hear that some eyes were caught. I caught many 16" during the summer but have had a very very tough time getting the walleyes through the ice. I have targeted the 6-8 a.m and 3-6 p.m timeframes. The eyes during the winter have come in 22 feet buy the channel that connects to Kohlman. I have most recently been fishing the beach side of the lake because the owner at Larry's bait told me that this side was less fished but held a good winter walleye and crappie population. I assume you were fishing across from the beach on the point? I see guys there everynight at dusk...

Mr. Pike1

I was on the point, in about 30'. I had hoped to explore this point, but my auger petered out on me, so I was confined to left-over holes already out there.

For those heading to this lake for the first time, beware of the open ice right out from the beach. No problem during daylight hours, but in low light conditions it could be dangerous. I was aware of it when I went out sunday morning, but as I walked by it (with no one else on the ice), I thought a newcomer might not see it!

Failin

Unfortunately, I didn't make it out to the ice this weekend. But I finally got my fish house situation sorted out, and that took most of my free time over the weekend. I also have a busy week, but I definitely want to fish this coming weekend.

BTW, what is the best way to get to Larry's Bait if I am coming east on 36. Any idea what time he opens in the morning? I've heard nothing but good comments about this baitshop and I want to give them my business.

Sorry to jump in on this topic, but if you are coming east on 36 go north on White Bear avenue about 4 or 5 stop lights to Co. Rd. C and take a right and Larry's Live Bait is on the South East corner of the intersection of White Bear and C.

G-man, I do not think Larry's opens until 8:00 in the morning maybe 7:00. When I am going out the next morning early I usually pick my bait the night before. The guy who runs it is an elderly guy and has always been pleasant and willing to share his fishing knowledge.

Failin- good deal, nice going. I'll be looking for you out on the ice in the metro area.

Jwilli,
Had I known you were on the forum, I would have gotten into it a little more with you. Like I said, though, I had just gotten a bite and frankly, I was worried you were going to plop down right next to me (I noticed you had punched many holes that evening). I wasn't sure if you heard my "f'enheimer" when I lost that fish.

Yeah, anytime you see me, come say hi. I'm not the best angler, but I almost always have a smile and a beer to share.

Failin'

Gonna try Phalen this weekend....would love to change my moniker to Killin'emonPhalen, but....

I notice several perm shaks on the lake. Is anyone on this board one of the Perm shake guys? Does anyone else have any fishing knowledge of this lake to share. I understand if you are on a honey hole catching nice crappies and eyes all night you are most likely going to be tite lipped and just enjoy the action...

Was out on Gervais again tonight 3-6, - same time, same spot, same result- just perch.

Failin- I almost tried phalen for the first time tonight, but as I only had a few hours until dark to look for a spot, picked gervais. Let me know how you do this weekend.

[This message has been edited by jwilli7122 (edited 01-06-2003).]

jwilli - I was not sure which lake to try tonight: Gervais or Phalen. Ended up on Phalen. Was fishing by 4:30 and got two walleyes by 4:45. Thought I was on the hot spot. Absolutley nothing after that. Wasn't even marking fish on the flasher. Pulled the plug about 7:00. The walleyes were around 13". Released both.

The Spook

jwilli7122, I am glad to see your perceverance on Garvais. The bite has got to improve. I am off on Wed this week and hear it is suppose to be in the upper 40's so I am going to go to Garvais for a 6-9 morning run and then do some things around the house and do a 4-7 evening run no house will be needed. I am torn between the beach area were I have had some success and going out in on the North side were Garvais connects to Kohlman. Both areas have produced walleyes. Maybe I will soon see one of you Garvais guys on the water. I think G-man will get out this weekend now that he has his ice shake situation resolved. I will be picking up my new FL-18 on Tuesday and am anxious try it out on Wed..Keep the reports coming..

Failin'onPhalen, I notice you mentioned the open ice spot that I had seen as well...What do you think caused this. I am not aware of an aeroter system in the lake. I can only assume there is some kind of natural spring causing this.

To me it looks like something a spring would do, being small and circular. It is definitely not the result of any aerator. It does look odd though, being so small(maybe 3 feet diameter?) with thick ice right up to the open area (I drilled about 15 inches away)...

Mr. Pike - maybe I'll see you out there wednesday. I'm on break from college right now, so lots of time. I'm probably going to hit white bear or snail tomorrow -depending on how that goes maybe I'll see you wednesday morning on Gervais...

Man there were a lot of people on the lake Saturday! Is that normal? Been out a lot in open water, but never on the ice, it was like a circus out there. Didn't see the open water, but thanks for the alert.

Ditto the experiences of most others - perch literally every 30 seconds, one tiny walleye, one line breaker. A lot of the perch were 7" and skinny.

I've got a buddy with a permanent house out there, I'll see how he's been doing.

Did anyone get out this morning or tonight? I was out tonight from 4-6 and had good results.

Mr Pike- I ended up fishing bald eagle today, and didn't make it to Gervais. You get some walleyes? I might have to make another trip out there yet this week.

[This message has been edited by jwilli7122 (edited 01-08-2003).]

jwilli7122, I tried a different technique I fished in 9 feet of water just of the weedline. If I ever see you on the water sometime I will have to share the details. Yes I did get some eyes...