• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
dakotakid31

towing with a mid-sized V6 suv

Question

dakotakid31

bought the wife a endeavor last fall. it has a 240hp/255 lbs of tourqe with a tow rating of 3500. i was thinking about towing my 17ft mrpike with a 2 stk 90(2000 or so lbs?) with it on occasion instead of my f-150 ( she likes having "her" car when we spend a few days at the cabin) if anyone tows with a some what simialar veh., how is it? it gets over 20mpg will that sink to 10mpg?

16 answers to this question

Jarrod32

I have a Dodge Dakota with the 3.9 six-cylinder; I pull a 15-foot boat with a 20 horse motor without too much trouble. Your engine is better...you have more HP, but a bigger boat, so it should be similar.

I used to pull a 16-foot boat with a '93 Explorer 4.0L V6...that was a better engine...no problem pulling that boat with that vehicle.

I'm not familiar with your transmission, but if you have the ability to, you may end up turning off the overdrive function...it may not hold the high gear...

But you shouldn't have too much problem.

But yeah, your mileage will suffer.

dakotakid31

yeah i forgot about the tranny. there is no OD turn off but it has an auto-stick option, so i could leave it in 3rd?

Jeremy airjer W

IS it the all wheel drive w/ the tow package?

dakotakid31

Quote:

IS it the all wheel drive w/ the tow package?

it is awd.no tow package- i installed the hidden hitch. i was thinking about having a tranny cooler installed.

Jarrod32

Yeah...you may want to leave it in third (or fourth if it is a five-speed). Watch your RPM so you don't run too fast...you might want to slow down a few MPH.

ChemMechanicInc

dakotakid31,

Why doesn't your topper match your truck?

Maroon and Navy Blue? Come on now. Then you have a white Mr Pike...

To address your question, it really depends on your rear end and transmission gearing, but I'd say you'll be OK (just don't forget to unplug your orange cord from the charger when you pull out of the driveway)

That driveway is a just a titch steep aye?

Come to really think of it, the wife's truck matches the boat better anyways.

I've had a few trucks.

Had a 2000 Dakota with the 3.9 Auto. POS for towing.

Had a 2000 Dakota 4x4 with the 4.7 and 3:55's. OK for a 16'

Had a 2001 Tahoe with the 5.3 and 3:73...worked good for a 16'

Had a 2005 Silverado with a 5.3 and the 3:42 w/ intake and chip...What a joke!!!

Had a 2005 Tahoe with the 5.3, auto level, and the 3:42 with chip....better but still a JOKE.

Now I have a 2004 Silverado with the 5.3, 3:73 Z-71....tows nice on a 17 foot explorer with a 70 pony 2 stroker, but the wife's 2002 Yukon, 4.8 with 3:73....no go baby.

I'll add the intake and chip to the current truck and see what that does.

I do know my opinion is trashed since towing with a Duramax with the Allison tranny and a Bully Dog chip. 19 mpg and accelerates like a sports car with 2 kids, the wife, 500 pounds camping gear, 17 foot boat, 26 gallons of gas, and a golden retriever.

So....Tow it...but dont blow it.

Rivernut

I have a 1200 lb. rig and tow it w/ a '99 explorer. It has 410 gear's, 5 speed auto., 4.0 sohc engine. At 65-70 mph, it run's @ 2600 rpm's in O.D. Out of O.D. it is @ 2900 rpm's out of O.D. In O.D. it does'nt shift out of O.D. at all. But if I am driving 55 I leave it out of O.D. My truck has a towing cap. of 4880. I think you will be fine. May have to leave it out of overdrive. Good luck

Jarrod32

Yeah...before my Dakota I had a '93 Explorer with the 4.0L six-cylinder. That engine was a lot better than this Dodge 3.9L.

Jeremy airjer W

I do believe the endeavor is set up at a front wheel drive with a "prop shaft" running to the rear wheels making it all wheel drive. If this is correct than the rear wheel drives/four wheel drives/all wheel drives that are listed as examples in the previous posts are irrelevant.

Towing always seems harder on a front wheel drive vehicle. Regardless of the number of cylinders the most important things are will the trans handle the extra load and will the brakes stop it if it needs to!

I think your on the right track with the addition of the trans cooler. Keeping the trans from overheating is vital to its longevity.

With that being said the equivalent vehicles that, in my opinion, would give a better idea of what to expect would be the ford escape, honda pilot, toyota highlander, or any other front wheel drive/all wheel drive SUV.

Fishbreath1

I have a '05 v6 4runner. It is rated to two 5k lbs. in stock form. I have towed about what you plan to tow and it did very well. The reason for staying out of OD is to keep the torque converter locked. If you unlock the torque converter (downshift also) you go to slushbox mode which generates lots of heat. I installed a Hayden 1678 tranny cooler. Its installed so that the fluid flows through the radiator cooler first, then the Hayden and back to the tranny. The hidden hitch is a good upgrade, too. I believe the Endeavor is a unibody vehicle, hindering towing/off roading so I would stay a little below capacity for towing. Installing the tranny cooler yourself is very easy, it took me a little over an hour on the runner, total cost was $50 and it should prolong the life of my tranny.

Good luck (even though you won't need it wink.gif)!

JohnMickish

One thing to keep in mind with a midsize vehicle is the midsize brakes. It's one thing to get it going and another to get it to stop. I used to tow with a midsize SUV, but the cost of a complete brake job every two years got to me.

Jeremy airjer W

Quote:

The reason for staying out of OD is to keep the torque converter locked. If you unlock the torque converter (downshift also) you go to slushbox mode which generates lots of heat.

Actually the reason we stay out of overdrive is to unlock the torque converter reducing the amount of up and down shifting and keeping the transmission cooler. The locking of the torque converter is essentially what overdrive is.

Macgyver55

Quote:

Actually the reason we stay out of overdrive is to unlock the torque converter reducing the amount of up and down shifting and keeping the transmission cooler.

Umm no, heat in a transmission is caused by friction (converter slippage) By down shifting into third gear rather than overdrive it allows the converter to stay locked up, thus building less heat.

Quote:

The locking of the torque converter is essentially what overdrive is.

This would only hold true in a non-overdrive transmission where the highest gear ratio is 1 to 1. Even then its not really and overdrive per se, it just "feels" like one because it it eliminating the last 200 to 400 RPMs of converter slippage.

The top gear ratio in most overdrive transmissions is in the vicinity of .75 or so to one. When pulling a load with a vehicle in overdrive, it drops the engine RPMs too far below the power band of the engine causing it to downshift frequently to hold speed. The first thing that happens before a downshift is the converter unlocks. The constant locking and unlocking of the converter and downshifting in and out of OD is what causes the heat.

Jeremy airjer W

My knowledge of automatic transmission is not the greatest! blush.gif

I thought the only way to achieve the final overdrive gear was to lock up the torque converter which provided a direct drive from the engine to the trans. Then one of the suns is held in place and one sun spins somehow allowing the output of the trans to be higher than the input.

I guess I didn't realize that the torque converter can still lock up in the lower gear, but know that it has been pointed out I'll smack myself in the forehead and quietly say to myself "duh"! grin.gif

Thanks for setting me straight Macgyver55!

Fishin4Life

Slightly off topic, but in summary... You are OK to tow in OD if you can hold speed with out frequent gear changes to hold speed? For example if you are cruising on the highway and OD seems to hold your speed well.

Fishbreath1

Quote:

Slightly off topic, but in summary... You are OK to tow in OD if you can hold speed with out frequent gear changes to hold speed? For example if you are cruising on the highway and OD seems to hold your speed well.

Yeah, I pay attention to conditions. If its flat and not windy and I can tow safely at a high enough speed, I stay in overdrive. McGyver is correct that downshifting causes the torque converter to unlock and generate heat. My runner locks the torque converter in 4th gear (5 sp auto) so when windy or hilly that's what I use.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Cliff Wagenbach
      Wakemup, I also like them scaled and the skin crispy but hate all of those scales every where so I fillet them with no skin. Cliff I have not heard any news about the City Auto Glass. Pike Bay will be open to fishing. Ice being off of it will be close! Cliff
    • Rick
      Two additional open-house meetings are scheduled in the Twin Cities metro area to help people understand and ask questions about Minnesota’s draft statewide deer management plan. “We heard from some who wanted open-house meetings closer to home in the metro area, so we added two to the other ones in the lineup,” said Leslie McInenly, acting wildlife populations and programs manager with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. Here is the schedule for the metro area meetings: St. Paul, Monday, April 23, DNR Headquarters, 500 Lafayette Road. Richfield, Monday, April 30, Wood Lake Nature Center, 6710 Lake Shore Drive. These meetings are in addition to 35 others in which Wildlife staff will provide handouts explaining the deer plan and process, and will talk with attendees individually and in small groups. The DNR is taking online public comments on the new plan now through Wednesday, May 9, at mndnr.gov/deerplan. There will be paper copies of the questionnaire available at the open houses for those who are not able to complete it online. All meetings are scheduled from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. and people can arrive anytime during the two-hour time frame. There will be no formal presentation at the meetings. Minnesota’s new deer plan sets a new statewide harvest target, increases citizen participation in deer management, and outlines ways to keep the population and habitat healthy. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • snagger
      Has anyone heard what they'll do about the City Auto Glass walleye tourney if the ice isn't off by May 19? Even if the ice is off....will they close Pike Bay?
    • Rick
      To help protect Minnesota waters, the Department of Natural Resources is reminding people to properly dispose of prohibited or unwanted aquarium plants and animals. “It’s important for hobbyists, teachers, parents and children to know that they should never release aquarium animals or plants into the wild,” said Heidi Wolf, DNR invasive species unit supervisor. “Some of the pets and plants that live in aquariums are prohibited species that can cause serious harm if released into lakes, rivers or ponds.” The DNR recommends teachers check the prohibited invasive species list before choosing classroom aquarium animals. “We also encourage teachers to discuss invasive species with their students,” Wolf said. People with aquarium animals or plants that are prohibited or that they no longer want can dispose of them at two upcoming surrender events sponsored by Minnesota Sea Grant: Habitattitude Surrender and University of Minnesota Duluth PAWS Event Wednesday, April 25, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Kirby Student Lounge, University of Minnesota Duluth, 1120 Kirby Drive, Duluth. Fish, aquatic plants, invertebrates, amphibians and reptiles accepted. www.seagrant.umn.edu/news/2018/04/25 Minnesota Aquarium Society Spring Auction and Surrender Saturday, April 28, 11 a.m. Lutheran Church of the Redemption (gymnasium) 927 East Old Shakopee Road, Bloomington. Fish, aquatic plants and invertebrates accepted. www.aquarium.mn/announcements/events/auction/spring-auction-2018 Some retailers sell plants and animals that are prohibited in Minnesota. One example frequently found in classrooms, the red swamp crayfish, is causing major environmental and economic harm as nearby as Wisconsin. More information about prohibited and regulated species and what to do with them is available at mndnr.gov/invasives/laws. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Since the late 1990s, Mille Lacs Lake has become an increasingly popular destination for anglers who want to catch trophy-sized smallmouth bass. Until now, it wasn’t known how many of these fish – prized more for their fight than their fillets – called the lake home. A population estimate completed in 2018 shows there are some 67,000 smallmouth bass in the 128,000-acre lake. “This looks like a healthy population,” said Tom Jones, regional fisheries treaty coordinator with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. “This estimate roughly represents the number of adult bass in the lake. It does not include bass under 12 inches.” The population estimate would not have been possible without the help of the Mille Lacs Smallmouth Alliance and Minnesota B.A.S.S. Nation. The Mille Lacs Smallmouth Alliance kept detailed records of their catches and provided length and tag numbers from more than 2,100 smallmouth bass. Minnesota B.A.S.S. Nation held several tournaments on Mille Lacs, including the statewide Tournament of Champions, and anglers provided similar data for more than 1,600 bass. “Mille Lacs is the number one bass fishery in the United States right now, and we just want to help protect it,” said Jim DeRosa, president of the Mille Lacs Smallmouth Alliance. “We’re really thrilled that we could play a small part in that.” In 2013, smallmouth bass regulations changed to allow anglers more opportunity to keep smallmouth on Mille Lacs Lake. The move was made to permit anglers to keep some fish during a time when walleye harvest has been restricted or prohibited. During the past five seasons, smallmouth bass regulations have varied, but they generally have allowed harvest of bass under 17 inches. A 20-inch smallmouth bass is generally regarded as a trophy fish. “One thing smallmouth anglers were concerned about was that allowing harvest would mean fewer big bass,” Jones said. “That’s not what we’ve seen with the most current assessment. About half of the smallmouth are over 17 inches, and that is consistent with what we’ve seen in past assessments of Mille Lacs smallmouth.” In 2016 and 2017, Mille Lacs Lake hosted the Toyota Bassmaster Angler of the Year Championship, and in 2017 Bassmaster Magazine named Mille Lacs Lake the best bass fishery in the nation. “We recognize Mille Lacs is a world-class bass fishery, and we’re committed to protecting it,” said Jones. “Now that we have a good estimate of the abundance of smallmouth bass, we look forward to working with Minnesota bass groups and the Mille Lacs Fisheries Advisory Committee this summer to discuss potential long-term regulations.” While Mille Lacs has long been known for walleye, the growth of the lake’s smallmouth bass population is a fairly recent phenomenon. During the late 1980s and throughout the 1990s, smallmouth started showing up in DNR assessments more frequently. And anglers were hooking more of them. “When fishing pressure increased in the late 1990s, that’s when we decided to protect smallmouth bass,” Jones said. “We thought the population was fragile at the time.” From 2000 to 2012, anglers on Mille Lacs were limited to one bass over 21 inches, and a very small number of fish were harvested each year. The DNR’s first assessment of Mille Lacs smallmouth bass in 1999 supported the decision to restrict harvest of smallmouth bass, but a 2009 assessment found smallmouth bass in much higher numbers and in a much wider portion of the lake. Though anglers have been allowed to keep more bass since 2013, creel surveys indicate that interest in keeping bass is low. The average number of bass kept each year is about 2,800. In recent years, anglers have caught and released more than 125,000 bass. “Based on the estimated number of smallmouth bass in the lake and the number that anglers catch each year, it’s clear that these fish are being caught more than once,” said Tom Heinrich, DNR area fisheries supervisor in Garrison. “The anglers who are releasing those bass are helping maintain the lake’s incredible bass fishery.” Bass season on Mille Lacs opens Saturday, May 12. Prior to Saturday, May 26, all largemouth and smallmouth bass must be immediately released. Beginning May 26, the combined bass possession limit is three, with only one bass over 21 inches. All bass 17 to 21 inches must be immediately released. More information about Mille Lacs Lake can be found at mndnr.gov/millelacslake. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • SkunkedAgain
      I saw Wakemup mention the whole scaling vs filleting panfish debate, so I'm starting a new thread. Who here cuts out the walleye wings for a tasty bonus? I learned about it the other year and was impressed when our sturgeon guide cut out the walleye wings on the non-slot walleye we brought in on the Rainy last weekend.    
    • Rick
      A new geocaching challenge called the Aquatic Quest, which focuses on plants and animals that live in Minnesota’s lakes, rivers and ponds, is being offered by the Department of Natural Resources. “Geocaching has been an effective way for us to connect people, especially kids, with the outdoors,” said Jennifer Conrad, interpretive services supervisor for the DNR’s Parks and Trails Division. “Not only will this new treasure hunt be fun, it will also help demonstrate that, beneath the surface, Minnesota’s waters are flowing with interconnected life forms.” As part of the challenge, camouflaged containers (aka “geocaches,” or “caches” for short) have been hidden at 74 Minnesota state parks and recreation areas (at all of them except the St. Croix Islands State Recreation Area) and at eight state trails. Geocachers will have until Oct. 31, 2020, to find as many caches as they can. Finding the caches involves entering numeric coordinates into a GPS (Global Positioning System) device, which shows how far away and in which direction to go to get started on the treasure hunt. The clues (aka “coordinates”) to finding the containers will be posted online at 8 a.m., Sunday, April 22, which is Earth Day. People who don’t have their own GPS device can borrow one from one of the many Minnesota state parks designated as a geocaching checkpoint. The checkpoint parks will also offer Geocaching 101 programs to provide instructions for beginners. Upcoming Geocaching 101 programs will be offered: Saturday, April 21, from 1 to 2 p.m., Mille Lacs Kathio State Park, Onamia. Saturday, May 19, from 1 to 2:30 p.m., Fort Snelling State Park, St. Paul. Saturday, May 26, from 9 to 10 a.m., Afton State Park, Hastings. Inside each cache is a logbook and a set of collectible cards featuring color photos of aquatic plants and critters. Cache finders are encouraged to sign the logbook and take one of the cards as a souvenir of their visit. Geocachers can earn a special “habitat” card after finding 10, 20, 40, 60 and all of the cards. They also can pick up a limited-edition water recreation card (one each year) when they attend a geocaching or water-themed program at Minnesota state parks and trails. The Aquatic Quest is the fifth in a series of geocaching adventures that have been offered at Minnesota state parks and trails. Previous adventures included the Call of the Wildflowers (2015-2017), the Avian Adventure (2012-2014), the Wildlife Safari (2009-2011), and the History Challenge presented by the retailer Best Buy (2008). More than 11,000 people reported finding a Call of the Wildflowers geocache in 2017, Conrad said. For more information, visit www.mndnr.gov/geocaching or contact the DNR Information Center at info.dnr@state.mn.us or 888-646-6367 (8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays). Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • SkunkedAgain
      Crispy tail fins!
    • Wakemup
      Yeah it was one of those "Oh... duh you dummy" moments when I realized what the problem was this after thinking about it this winter!  Tom- those baits look great! Looking to get into musky fishing a little more this summer and hope to land my first musky on Big V.
    • Wakemup
      Those look good! Now the question is, do you scale them and cook them skin on or separate the filet from the skin? I became a fan about 5 years ago of scaling and leaving the skin on for some extra crisp!