• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Puppies and Pointing

TProGuy

At what age should puppies start to point by sight and/or scent?

I have a nine week old GSP puppy that has yet to do either. I know he is still very young, but I kind of figured that even by this age, natural instinct would be kicking in and getting him to point.

He has a GREAT nose and will follow different scents all over the place. He always finds the dummy or wing within just a few short moments, but never points it...he just rushes in and grabs it.

Should I be concerned?

I wouldn't be concerned. It all depends but at 9 weeks I wouldn't worry. At that age they can have a lot of bump and chase in them. You also might want to quit with the dummy and wing for now. You are kinda encouraging the pup to "go in and get it" when maybe now you needs to turn on the pup's pointing instinct.

In the "old days" you'd turn your dog loose on wild birds and the dog would bump and chase initially. Eventually the light would go on and it'd figure out it couldn't catch the bird and start pointing them. That's how my first dog learned to do it. It took about 50 wild pheasants and a day and a half for her to figure it out but she never ripped out a bird on purpose again.

I'd go to a gamefarm with a training partner and buy a quail or 2 and plant them and work your pup into them. If it points that's great. If it doesn't and starts to move in on the planted bird then have your partner flush the bird (remote bird launchers are great for this) so it flies away. Then lead your dog off in the opposite direction and do something else until it sorta forgets about the bird. After a little bit then work the same bird again if possible and do the same thing. Essentially your doing a modern version of what I did with my first dog.

GSP,

Thanks for the advice...I only used the dummy and wing a few times, mostly just to see what sort of reaction he would have to them. In your opinion, at what point should I become concerned if he still is not pointing?

If your dog is 6 mos. old and not pointing after repeated attempts then I'd maybe look into a trainer to see if they can bring the pup around. You might try the wing on a string a little and see if the pup will sight point it.

My GSP didn't start pointing til 3-4 mos old. Oddly enough, she started pointing dragon flies and would stalk them for hours in the back yard. She was a pointing fool after that, whether it was birds, bugs, skunks (yes, she pointed many), or the neighbor's cat...before she chased it down. shocked.gif

Be patient - the wiring is there. I sometimes think the males are a bit slower to mature than the females, but when they get it, they GET IT.

Blaze

Relax....it will come around soon enough. My first

brittany would point at a fart. I mean flies, rabbits

or anything else on the ground. It will come around.

I was nervous too.

Thanks for all of the info...it's pretty much what I was hoping to hear. I just have heard lots of people talking about their GSP's or English Setters pointing at or around 6-8 weeks of age and just wanted to make sure that it was relatively normal for a pup to not be pointing yet. I am definitely looking forward to when he finally starts...it will be exciting.

Tpro, I'm with you. I have a Britt Pup and he is so excited right now that he has not started pointing real well. he did pretty well at sight pointing a wing, but I didn't want to overdue it. I have just been working slowely with him. Friends have told me to just be patient it will come. I can hardly wait though. Good luck. grin.gif

TPro:

I have 1 Female and 1 Male GSP. The Female was pointing when I got her at 8 weeks. The male didn't start pointing until 4 months. I have also seen where dogs haven't started pointing until a year. That dog is currently one of the better dogs I have seen in the field.

I am just so anxious to see him point!!! He is incredibly bright (he's picking up on basic obedience things like sit, lay down and heel VERY quickly...even with just keeping thinks simple and doing them in ten minute sessions once or twice a day). He really has a great personality and a seemingly outstanding nose...I would just hate to see a lack of pointing be his downfall. Fortunately, thanks to the info I have received here, I know it's relatively common for him to not be pointing yet. I still cannot wait till he does, though!

I know how you feel. I was out doing some training in a CRP field. Just throwing the dummy and letting my male GSP bring it back. 3-4 months of not pointing yet and all of the sudden he locks up. I walk over there and chase up a Hen. Since then.....its been a joy. Except for the day i caught him chewing up the daughters sand toys. Dang Puppies.

I know how you feel, I have a 7 month old GWP. This is my first experience with a pointing dog, I've always had labs. My dog didn't take to the wing right away either but everyone said not to worry. Just worked on the obediance and every once in while went to the wing. Once he started pointing the wing I concentrated more on the "whoa" command on a training table. Everyone I talked to said this is the most important command for a pointing dog and now I see that. I have now worked up to training with pigeons, it's amazing on how he locks up on the real thing. I hope to get him to a game farm this fall before the season comes.

• 2 weeks later...

I must agree with orangestew. The whoa command is a very vital tool when training pointers. Pointing is a natural instinct in a pointing breed of dog. He or she will come around, but use the whoa command and train that into your dog. You'll be impressed with your hunting companion when in the field, let alone what your buddies will think when he's locked on!!!!

A couple of new additions to the ranch...

Ep.jpg

Good Looking dogs Super Black!

Here's a few pics of my dads German Wirehair (9 weeks old).

100_0206.jpg

100_0204.jpg

100_0203.jpg

Sweet Rost. Looks like another good year, could even be great...SB