• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rod suggestions

I just bought a Shimano Symetre 1500 FI (after researching), what would be a good rod to mate with it. I'm using a cheap Wal-mart one for a temp rod.

Try to keep under $100

Thanks

Bri

BFIBRI, I also have a symetre, mine is attached to a St.croix premiere(around $90), or another rod to try is a Shimano clarus(around $90). Both these rods have good guides, cork handles, and decent reel seats. Take care

I would pair it with the Shimano Compre Its the one around $90, the Clarus is cheeper around $75.

Action and length is up to you depending on what you want to do with the rod.

I just picked up a Limit Creek "Smoothie" about a month ago. 6'9" ML, very responsive, I have used it jigging and slip bobbering. I really like this rod, they make other sizes and actions. Give them a looky loo grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif (they happen to be a sponsor of the PArk Rapids Forum) a little under 90 bucks

second the fenwick, mine was in that range, maybe a little more(~120 or so)

I like the house label rods from any of the local companies. Gander, Dicks, Cabelas. They all come from essentially the same manufacturers, use the same high quality components, and if you have a problem, you walk back into the store with a broken rod and walk out with a new one (if you do it right). Work the sales. Buy what you can afford, and what feels right.

Having to send a rod back in to the manufacturer for an x-ray is rediculous, time consuming, and they have been known to refuse a return or two.

For me, Guide Series rods from Gander are a great deal. I used to work in the business, and one of my very best rods (I own Fenwick, Loomis, Shimano, and St. Croix) is an old Galyans HMG54 rod. It has more Fuji concept guides than any rod I've seen, foot per foot. Sturdy, sensitive and a great caster. $79.99

I use Grandt Rods.

They are a bit more pricy ,but with an unlimited lifetime warrantee it's the last rod I'll ever buy.

I'm using a 6'medium & I can feel every tick as they are so sensitive.

Titanium guides with S.S. guide seats and 58 million modulus blank.

There are some good rods out there ,but in my opinion James Grandt makes the best there is.I think they retail for $147 but there are some deals out there.

Quote:

I use Grandt Rods.

They are a bit more pricy ,but with an unlimited lifetime warrantee it's the last rod I'll ever buy.

I'm using a 6'medium & I can feel every tick as they are so sensitive.

Titanium guides with S.S. guide seats and 58 million modulus blank.

There are some good rods out there ,but in my opinion James Grandt makes the best there is.I think they retail for $147 but there are some deals out there.

Wow, that's something...I just did a google on their website and says their rods are 70 million modulus now... shocked.gif

I like the HMX line from Fenwick. IM7 and under $80. Good quality and great customer service.

Quote:

I like the HMX line from Fenwick. IM7 and under $80. Good quality and great customer service.

You are right about the HMX.I've had a few of them.

Once I upgraded I could cast farther & I felt more light bites.

Don't get me wrong,Fenwick makes a good product.

I also notice how the rod bent & it seems like the whole rod is working instead the top half.

Grandt makes their own blanks. Made them for St Croix too back awhile along with 60 other rod companies.They do not use the same components when doing them for others.

The top of the line Grandt makes has a patent on the 78 million modulus graphite.No body has that in their blanks.

The ones I have are only 58 million,except my U.L.

Boy is there a huge difference from those other rods to Grandt's.

Again I believe when I look back at all of the rod tips I've snapped ,the real value is in Grandt's lifetime warrantee.

With the other big boys you need to send in 50$ to get it replaced & if you snapped it in a car door or something you are SOL.With Grandt it does not matter & it's only 22$.

I'd call that the low budget fisherman's rod.

So in recap I love the action,power,finese feel.I know I've caught way more fish with it because I can feel every little tick,pop or thump.

O.K. I'm off my soap box,thanks for reading.

Quote:

I just bought a Shimano Symetre 1500 FI (after researching), what would be a good rod to mate with it. I'm using a cheap Wal-mart one for a temp rod.

Try to keep under $100

Thanks

Bri

IMO, keep saving your money until you can afford more. You can keep upgrading 50-100 dollar rods, and end up paying 500 dollars in a lifetime, or just spend 200-250 dollars once. Loomis IMX, St Croix Legend, Fenwick Techna av, ect... I have Loomis rods, and wish I would have went a step further and got custom rods.