• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

White Iron/Kawishiwi Pike and Walleye

Hey Folks,

My Friends and I will be making a second annual trip up to Silver Rapids Lodge on the Kawishiwi River over the 4th of July. We had a blast last year but our trip was too short to spend a lot of time on any one piece of water. So I'm wondering if anyone could clue me into a couple of spots that might payoff this time of year. We'd like to hunt for the large pike during the day and hit the walleyes in the morning and evening. We had a little luck last year out in front of the resort poking around some of the islands and points, but spent most for our time buzzing around exploring White Iron, Garden and Farm Lakes, not really knowing where to start. Any tips on locations or techniques that work this time of year would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Pikehunter, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed yourself last year. I'll be taking my first trip to Silver Rapids Lodge a few weeks after you are going on the 4th. So unfortunately I don't have any fishing advice for you. But I'll be anxious to hear how you did when you get back and see what advice other people can contribute. Good luck!

Eric,

You'll really enjoy yourself, what a great resort! It's also very affordable if you like to camp. The campsites are nice, and they give you access to all the amenities of the resort for no extra cost. It's only $15 a night for the entire group! I come from the metro area and last year and we stayed 3 nights. With gas, food, camping and beverages, the entire trip only cost us about $125/person. You just can't beat that.

Plus the location is absolutely awesome, you wont want to leave. A word of advice though, invest in some lake maps and do your research, it's a lot of water to cover. Also watch out for underwater rocks between the islands, don't fly through any gaps assuming it's deep enough. I was going slow last year and almost lost my lower end in Garden Lake.

Have a good one.

Pike Hunter,

I fished White Iron/Farm on Saturday. I have no big pike info for you unless you call 3 lbs big smirk.gif Those came trolling larger minnow baits in 15-18 FOW. The one in 18 feet was on the edge of a school of whitefish where you might think a big one would lie. I saw them on the camera. That was the hole where the Kiwishiwi comes into White Iron. No big hooks on the sonar though.

The camera also showed plenty of walleye in the river below the rapids in both eddies. Right where they're supposed to be but not one bite. This was mid-day though.

Silver Rapids has slowed the past few days word has it. I would look out further in the lake. Lately thats been the hottest bite in the area - so I'm told, but I think they moved.

In the early morning and evening there were walleyes to be had in 16 FOW on Farm off the edge of the shallow flat. Nothing big, but you can sort out some keepers. We kept 8 between 12 and 16 7/8 inches in the last couple hours of daylight.

All the walleye came on leeches. Any way you wanted to rig em. Some of them spit up leeches when they came in the boat too. I got bit on minnows but never hooked anything. Maybe Great Outdoors has his on steroids. They were lively as heck and might of fought the fish off! grin.gif

The mayflies are hatching! frown.gif The surface temp in White Iron out from SRL was up to 75 degrees. Farm was up to 71.

Thanks for the advice Pikehunter. I'm really looking forward to my trip now. I've checked out the DNR maps, and they are ok, but I'll have to see if a bait shop in Ely has a more detailed one. I'm guessing they will.

I recently sought better maps than the DNR maps with no luck. I know one bait shop simply offers those maps.

I haven't seen anything better than LAKEMAPS for White Iron yet, anywhere, Ely or home. I have a Lakemaster chip in my Lowrance and its only generally accurate.

Its a big lake. You could fish it exclusively for your whole trip and not fish the same water twice.

Threeball,

How is your new place?

Its going well, thanks for asking. I haven't been able to spend as much time as I would like there yet. We're still settling in. A boat lift will be delivered in a few days and we'll spend several days over the fourth. No negative surprizes yet.

Maybe we'll see each other on the water some time.

Wanderer,

The St. Louis County version of those Minnesota Lake Map books they sell at sporting good stores has a good White Iron map. They have a "Not for Navigation" disclaimer but it will give you a clear layout of the lake along with fishing tips. There was a book with Garden and Farm in it as well, but for some reason I can't find it lately. I'm having a hard time deciding to buy one though. It's $20.00 for all the area lakes but I'm only up there once a year so I'd rather find individual maps if possible.

I looked at those map books and found almost no content that was not on the DNR maps. I know at Cabelas you can get the map on a plastic card that is easy to read and would be durable. The cost is only 3 or 4 bucks. There is very little additional information on them when compared to the DNR maps.

When I was in Ely this past winter fishing for lakers, I stopped in a bait shop on the west end of town, can't remember the name now (I swear Minn Kota used it as the exterior of a bait shop in one of their commercials). They had a bunch of those plastic card maps, but I didn't look to see which lakes they had. If they don't have it, I'll just have to use the DNR map or make due without one. They did it for years before accurate mapping techniques came around, why can't I? wink.gif

HA!

Good point Jorgie!

What's the average water temperature up there right now? When we were up there last year around this time the water temps were already 80 deg, hence a slow bite. I'm hoping it's a little cooler this year.

Hey guys,

Maps only get you so far. I used to fish Minnetonka a ton - to the point I could almost draw you a better map of any bay from memory than you could buy. crazy.gif There will never be a map that shows everything. Get one you like and start making your own marks as you explore.

I'm always hoping for better too, but for some lakes its just not out there. If someone comes across one, let us know. smile.gif

I think I edited my post with Saturdays temps but again, I found up to 75 degree surface temp in White Iron and up to 71 degrees in Farm. These were late day temps. In the morning they were only about a degree cooler. I was suspecting that was the reason we still had good walleye action in Farm but not White Iron using the same pattern from the second week of season.

Threeball, you ALWAYS want to be there, don't ya! grin.gif

If you see a '90 blue 16 foot Lund Rebel pushed by a 50 hp yamaha with a white bow mount Motorguide, stop by and say hi! Besides that, I'll probably be out of gas and looking for a tow anyway! tongue.gif It happened twice so far this year, but the second time I had a spare 2 gallons on board.

I'm still getting the feel for this boat and it goes through 6 gallons pretty quick. shocked.gif

Wanderer,

Heard that you were in the shop last week, do any good fishing????

Burntside walleye just coming on the reefs, fishing not too good yet. I expect within 5 days I'll be kicking some major league butt on them, so look for this ugly mug in the Angler the next few weeks!! grin.gifgrin.gif

Quote:

Threeball, you ALWAYS want to be there, don't ya!
grin.gif

If you see a '90 blue 16 foot Lund Rebel pushed by a 50 hp yamaha with a white bow mount Motorguide, stop by and say hi! I'm still getting the feel for this boat and it goes through 6 gallons pretty quick.
shocked.gif

Yes, but I'll have to earn a few more dollars before that happens. I have an even older boat - a Blue 1986 Lund Baron w/ twin 75s (to be replaced at end of yr).

Hey Jim,

I realize I need to get there before 10am to catch you. I just usually stop as we're coming through on Friday evenings. Its a two spot stop if ya know what I mean.

My fishing report is on page 1 of this post (or thread, or...) What do you feed your minnows?! Those dudes are swimmers!

If your mug is too ugly for the Angler, you could just let me hold em for ya! laugh.gif I think shots in the boat would look best! laugh.giflaugh.gif

Good luck.

Threeball, I'll keep an eye out for you.

Jim,

We certainly won't be holding our breath to see you in the Angler. tongue.gif Where have you been so far this year???? I am shocked and amazed that you aren't in there holding up a stringer of smallmouth bass or snakey northerns. Maybe Zups can use a picture of you in their flyer holding up a box of Van de Kamp's fish sticks!!!grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif I guess the old "Fish Master" is going to have to try getting out fishing this weekend after work and show you up!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Justin