• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Duluth City Ordinance on Boats

I live in lakeside and unfortunately I own a house without an alley and no off street parking. I have been parking my boat on the street for the last 3 years with no problems. Last sunday a crabby old lady, that I was extremely polite to, starting yelling at me about parking my boat on the street. Well I came home yesterday and there's an ffin ticket on my boat. The ticket states that no trailer can be parked on the street unless it is hitched to a vehicle. Any body have any suggestions on what to do? I don't want to put it in storage because 90% of my fishing is on the river or big lake and I just pull my boat to work and go from there. Anybody had to deal with this before? thanks,

Dave

I have the same situation on London Rd. and 15th St. There is a garage for the house that I live in, but the landlord keeps his truck in there while he has his BMW out for the summer. I asked if we could park it on the lawn, but since we live near the surgical center and his dentist office, he didn't want it to clutter up the area. So we ended up putting it in a friends garage a few blocks away. Last year I again asked if I could build a fence to hide it from the surgical center and he again said no, but offered to give us the garage. The only bad thing is that he parks in front of it when he works so we have to have the boat hooked up and pulled out the night before if we want to use it.

This is my point, sorry it took so long to get to it confused.gif....I called the city about parking it on the lawn and they said that was ok as long as it was ok with the landlord. I'm not sure if that is a possibility in your situation, but if it is, you can park it there and then hook up and park on the street.

hawgeye, I think I would look for a new house where you could park your Boat smile.gif.

Thanks for the info. No dice on parking it on the lawn, too steep. If this continues, I am going to have to sell house or rent it out and rent a different place. Funny thing is I just talked to a police man and he said its fine to park my boat on the street and he ended the conversation saying that a guy has to have a boat. Shattty part is this is only happening because some grumpy old lady has nothing else to worry about. I might have to get my grandma over there to lay the smack down. grin.gif

Dave

Your neighbor must be one of Duluth's CAVE people. (Citizens Against Virtually Everything). I agree with the cop; “A man has to have a boat."

As soon as I wrote that I thought about which house yours might be (I drive by there everyday for work up the Shore) and realized that your's is probably the one that I was thinking of. Glad it worked out for ya!

Sorry to hear of your problem. I don't have a real answer. It's to bad that almost every neighborhood has one of those kind of neighbors. Would it be just if they could all just live in the same neighborhood. Then they could just spend the day fighting with each other.

I do have one solution to your problem and that would be to go out and find the rattiest tow vehicle that you can find and hitch up your trailer and leave it parked in front of her house. Just make sure to move it every 24 hrs and have current plates and insurance on it and you would be legal in the eyes of the law. If she wants to complain about an eyesore give her a reason. I would also rename the boat " The old Bat " and display the name in her direction..

thanks for the humor, thats exactly what everyone at work wants me to do. I think I am just going to start pulling the boat everywhere I go, until I find another solution.

Dave

I have been looking into buying a boat as of late (I currently fish out of a canoe, or by wading, if by myself). I think that if i do pull the trigger I'll have to rent out a storage unit for it. Not only will it keep my from getting any tickets, it will also keep the boat and all my equipment on it safe. I know it is one more added cost and a little inconvenient not always having the boat at your house, but it's something to look into.

If you have a smaller boat, you might be able to find a slip off of park point due to the shallow water down there. Otherwise, barker's used to allow parking in their parking lot.

Deep sinker,

any idea what parkpoint gets for dock space for the summer?

thanks

I got a name for yer boat "CREW U" let her look at that every day! parked behind some rusty old International travelall HA HA I love it!

I have a buddy parking a 18ft runabout down there. I'm not sure what he paid. If they have openings, I would think you could get a good month to month rate now.

I just got pinched too $#%%$%$^&*#$$#%&'s ! Total BS! I think I have the same neighbors too, the CAVE people!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Thats a bummer. I lived in town I had a deal worked out with the neighbor. I'd snow throw his driveway in exchange for parking my boat and snowmobile trailer in his driveway.

I see both sides of the coin because I love to fish and I also own a home in town. I tell ya one thing a boat on the street dont bother me as long as I have room to park and they dont block my sidewalk. If it blocks my side walk I will ask politely a few times to move but if they continue blocking the sidewalk I do call the police. After a few tickets people usually learn.

Plus they dont get invited to the anual "Block Party". wink.gif

I guess I can be thankful in the fact that I have a garage for my boat and truck and additional off street parking for the rest of the family. I also live in town so I do my best to only bring my boat or camper around to the city street when I'm loading something up or washing them off. It's bad enough when you're trying to hook up to them in the alley with everyone going about their day to day lives.

The hole situation is something I have tried to live with and also keep my neighbors happy otherwise I would have been living in the country by now.

Good luck with your neighbors.

I was worried when I moved into my house that the neighbors would be upset about my boat in the street, but there is plenty of on street parking available and none of my immediate neighbors mind at all ( especially after a few fish frys). The neighbor that has a problem with me lives 2 blocks away.

BD110, I think I am your neighbor I live on 44th and Cooke. Stop and say hi if you want, I have the alaskan with 50 horse yamaha.

dave

Dave,

I think I have seen your boat parked out front of your place. You're close I'm on 45th and Jay and my in-laws are on 44th and Pitt on a corner lot. I'm very lucky to be able to park my camper and cargo trailer on their lot just off the alley.

Take a walk up if you get the chance and say hello and I will also do the same.