• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
BLACKJACK

Too late to plant a clover food plot??

BLACKJACK

I had worked up a couple of spots around my ponds last fall with the intention of planting them this spring with the clover mix from the MDHA that BLB pushes. Now this spring the ponds filled up with snow melt and the spots have been wet, I was just able to get in and disc 90% of them last night. By next week I could probably disc again and plant but I'm debating whether I should plant now or plant about Aug 15 when theres more moisture. It has been dry, we haven't had much rain. I certainly wouldn't plant grass seed now on my lawn.

What do you think, plant the clover now or wait until August?

Mark Christianson

My unprofessional opinion....

I would wait until even late august.

If you plant now, you risk the hot dry conditions where little will grow.

One question:

Is your goal with this planting to have something for wildlife to eat this fall, or is this planting mainly for additional forage to compliment everything else you have in the future plans?

I planted clover Labor Day weekend a couple years ago, and I was pleasantly surprised at the growth it had before fall. My planting was done mainly for a plot for the following season, but ended up with something the deer browsed on later that fall anyway.

BLACKJACK

My goal is to establish plots that will last several years, this fall isn't that important, I want to get enough clover established so that it isn't eaten up by Oct 15.

Cooter

I vote wait, unless you're a risk taker! Too much effort and money to plant and have it fry in July/August...and then have to do it again. Take the time to lime it if you haven't yet - if it needs it.

PerchJerker

I've planted clover in August before and had it turn out great. When I've waited until September it hasn't established well enought to have much carry over to the following spring.

BLACKJACK

I guess you guys confirmed what I had been thinking - wait to plant the clover. I'll plant it the same time as that new Cold Weather Blend that I got from the MDHA, curious to see how the deer like it. I'll be planting it right next to some of the Annual Blend from MDHA, which is next to some RR corn and my pumpkin patch! Will be very interesting to see which one the deer prefer, and at what time of the year. Always fun after a fresh snow to see all the activity from the previous night. But none of it will amount to much if we don't get some rain!!! Very dry around here! I'm sure glad that I don't farm for a living!!

Mark Christianson

Amazing. Go 75 miles north, and its been a monsoon season for rain. Our corn will easily be over waste height by July 4th.