• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tackle box suggestions

Ok, I'm really getting into this fishing thing. My wife offered to buy me a new tackle box for Father's Day. Mine is pretty old, and won't hold enough stuff. What recommendations do you guys have? One huge one for everything? A couple smaller ones, one for cranks, etc., one for everything else?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I used a hard sided box for some years, the ones with the trays that pull out and a few Plano boxes, etc. That worked fine but now I won't use anything but a soft-sided bag that holds 6-8 large Planos. Much more organized and easier when out in the boat and you're fishing with a certain presentation. Pull the Plano with jigs when you're jigging, or the one with the #5 shad raps when you cranking, etc. Then you just have that particular Plano out that you're working out of, and the rest of the bag can be stored or tucked out of the way until it's time to change presentations.

The Magnum bag from Cabelas is the one I use and it was on sale a few years ago so I thought it was a pretty good deal at the time. One thing that I wanted besides holding the larger Planos was storage pouches on the sides for all that misc stuff you "need" like fishing line, spinner snells wrapped on those tubes, sunscreen, clippers, scale, Gulp/plastics, whatever.

I also have a B&B crank box that holds around 100 cranks which is really nice for storing cranks without getting them tangled together.

LMITOUT, is it just a hanging box or what? Yes I also highly reccomend soft-sided bags, as the trays allow more versatility than your standard hard-sided box. The last two tackle bags/boxes I've had have been bags, and that's all I can see myself using in the future.

If you're referring to the B&B box, yes it is a hanging box. One compartment for each crank. They have all kinds of different configurations/sizes for crankbait boxes.

I second the soft box with Plano inserts. Same reasons. I wish mine was waterproof, however.

Soft sides with the Plano boxes are the way to go. Now make the bags more water proof and you are near perfect. But I also have the good old tray style hard box for all my everyday items such as line sinkers, hooks, clippers. It is easy to access for a few tried and true baits or just a quik trip out with the kids. It is spill hazard though unlike the soft sides.

I just got a new soft side bag this year from Gander. I love it, it is a medium sized bag, fits 6 big boxes inside. I have extra boxes as well. I have two filled with cranks, three filled with plastics, one with jigs and rigging supplies, one with panfish lures, and another with bass jigs and other assorted bass lures. Switch them out before we leave the house and I have everything I need for a particular species. It also has plenty of pockets for accessories, water proof pockets for maps and insurance cards. I mainly use the front pocket to secure the most heavily used plastics. It was a good deal and I can't imagine going back. Far more organized than my previous system.

Tom

I recently bought the same bag as polar and love it. it keeps me organized and was a good deal.

the smaller soft sides are great for shore fisherman like me. with the shoulder strap, you can cast without putting your box down. if you are not gonna use too many different lures, you can just fiil up a small box and put it in a cargo pocket or use a fanny pack.

I have the Plano 777, one of thier biggest hardsided. I like it because I can have most all my tackle with me in the boat. It has removable boxes I can take out when neccassary. I still have a separate box for snells and one for terminal tackle, I just have too much fishing stuff laugh.gif.

Also Plano has excellent customer service. I broke the lid on the top compartment [by standing on it, totally my fault] and they sent me a new one free. It only took a week.

We (me and bro) use soft sided Cabelas and/or Denny Brauer bags, medium and super-huge smile.gif We have a bunch, more than we need probably. The nice thing is that you can have each bag for a different style fishing, and then just grab the boxes you want for that days fishing into one bag. The main thing I would suggest is get a bag that is big enough to hold the 3700 sized boxes, as the 3600 will still fit - but not vice versa. Another nice thing about the bags is that if you don't stash all the boxes in them there is plenty of room for snacks, rain coat, drinks, even a locator storage if big enough. And it has shoulder strap - all of which is really nice when you go in someone elses boat, as you just have rods in one hand, box on shoulder and Coke or coffee in the other hand when transporting to the boat.

The downside is that you can get carried away with too big a bag, and then it takes up lots of room in the boat smile.gif Which is why we started getting the medium sized, and use the magnums for our garage "main storage" boxes, or for the truck when on trip, and just grab the 3700 boxes we want for that day.

Good luck, but after having bags since before "tackle bags" were invented (we used gym bags back in the early 80s, with 3600 plano boxes) I don't think I could ever go back to hard sided, but each person organizes a bit different, and it is fun playing with your tackle in January, organizing wink.gif Except when your wife smacks you for having it all over the living room!

I also use the soft side type with the shoulder strap. My family used to laugh at my 'tackle purse'...until they tried it. Now, they all have one. If you know what you're targeting each outing, you can pack light.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Plano hard box for oopen water and a soft sided Rapala bag for ice fishing. I am thinking of going only soft sided, much more convenient.

Quote:

Ok, I'm really getting into this fishing thing. My wife offered to buy me a new tackle box for Father's Day. Mine is pretty old, and won't hold enough stuff. What recommendations do you guys have? One huge one for everything? A couple smaller ones, one for cranks, etc., one for everything else?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I just went through the tackle storage issue this spring. After searching and researching I ended up with a plastic box that holds 3700 series trays. It also has 2 small trays by the handle. I loaded up trays with species specific lures/jigs/hooks and one tray with universal stuff like pliers, glove, ect... I then load up the box with the trays I will need for the species I am fishing for and leave the rest at home or where ever. It has worked out well so far. No more carrying around and storing stuff I don't need for that day or trip, and less chances of damaging and/or losing things. If you think there is a chance that you will fish for everything, you can just throw the other trays in a bag and bring them along too. A small tackle bag with spare trays would probably work well too, I just went with something hardsided becouse that's what I wanted.

scheels band tackle box 10 pull out trays & extra storage cost is almost $80 but you will never need another !!!

Last summer the lid on my hard sided tackle box broke so when the ice formed I bought a small hard sider. When the water opened I did not want to buy another tackle box (new rod instead) so I just put the small hard sider in a 5 gallon bucket along with any misc. items I need like bug spray. So for shore fishing I have a rod in one hand and the bucket in the other plus you can sit on the bucket. I keep a bag in there in case I need to use the bucket for bringing some nice fish home. Not a very neat system so I may consider a medium sized bag but I know I will miss having a place to sit.

I just eliminated the boat and got a 28 foot pontoon.I use plano hard boxes.1 for cranks,1 for jigs and bobbers etc.I do not miss being cramped up in the boat for 8 hours.

I have had several boxes. I now use a B&B box for cranks, and another that I can places large plano trays in. Soft sides are great, but watch the size, you may find yourself crowded out of your boat. wink.gif

If you're in a boat then a soft sided tackle bag with box inserts work fine but if you're a shore fishermen then I would suggest using a back pack with a few plano boxes in it. With a back pack you can stuff it with more than just tackle(bug dope, drinks, snacks, TP, ect...