• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Shore Lunch Ideas

Walleye Rueben

We are heading to Lac Seul in July for the annual fishing trip. We have shore lunch every day.

• Pan Fried Walleye
  • Fried Potatoes (with onions and bacon)
  • Baked Beans
  • Canned Fruit

We've been eating this for many years and everyone loves it. However, I would like a little variety, as I get tired of eating the same thing after a few days.

I'm looking for your ideas for ways to "mix it up a little", possibly different ways to prepare the fish, or different dishes.

Thanks

we do a beer batter for the fish then we cut up an couple onions and dip them in the batter and make onion rings!!!

Cooking fish wrapped in tin foil with fresh herbs and butter comes out good in a fire. A packaged jambalaya mix comes out good with fresh fish. As far as sides go buy a bunch of ears of corn. Leave unshucked and cover with foil. You can throw them right on the coals. Make sure to bring some butter and a cajun seasonings for the corn.

i sometime bring refried bean cans with me to cook over firepit but its sure released deadly gas in the boat! grin.gif

For convenience sake, I dropped the potaoes this year, and substituted Vigo white & wild rice mix. No one missed the potatoes. I also brought Pita breads (they don't smoosh or go stale as fast) and guys stuffed them with fish, hot sauce, tartar, rice or beans.........

I fry 5lbs of baccon, 2 lbs of sausage. Once that is done, I add green pepper, onion, and mushrooms. Fry that for a while then add cut up boiled potatoes. Fry to your likeing. I like it slightly crunchy..

One thing I do is cut up some potatoes, Carrots, Onions, cauliflower or whatever combination of vegetables you like and wrap them in a tin foil pouch. When you're ready to eat, open the pouch, add butter and enough water to steam the vegetables, close the pouch and place directly on the grate. It's easy and really tasty.

You can also add season salt's or whatever. Give it a shot at home on your barbecue before you go to see if you like it.

I like to wrap my walleye filets in tin foil with butter, green pepper, onion, and mushroom, and season with "natures seasons" from cub, or some other variety season mix. Cook for about 30 minutes... awesome.

I too love to bring in corn on the cob.

Instant stuffing mix is usually pretty light, and only needs boiling water and butter.

If you want to skip fish one day, you could just do spaghetti, it's light and ez... and great on a cold rainy day.

Gander mountain has some freeze dry stuff that's pretty good. I like the sweet n sour pork. It's just add boiling water.

I second the vigo rice dishes in a bag. I recommend the red beans and rice with the cajun fish fry, black beans and rice with regular fish fry. the bags take of very litte room and two bags will feed 6-8 guys.....it takes about 25 minutes of simmerin', enough time for a couple cool ones.

The vigo foil bags are very easy to pack out as well.

Quote:

The vigo foil bags are very easy to pack out as well.

They also can be used as makeshift drink glasses and water transporters in a pinch. smile.gif

Tunrevir~

Our gudie did this this year and it was real good. Took fresh sliced and cooked hashbrowns,(in the dairy section, then took sliced vidalias and sliced mushrooms and fried them in the oil before he frid the fish. Sprinkle Lawrys on them and it was awesome. That was the first thing that ran out.

Slaw, Asian salad and potato salad are favorites with us. Sometimes we'll bring a boil-in-the-bag cheesy veggie mix.

You can get Vigo at most major grocers. I prefer the White and Wild rice, and then a big can of pork and beans on the fire. The Slaw is also a great idea. Nice crisp green veggies are always a plus. Just get the bagged kind of coleslaw that you add your own dressing to. It keeps way longer than a bagged salad.

Our group does a fish boil with a butter and garlic dip. Very tasty and no hevey greay feeling from eating too much fried food. HTB

Can you explain how you do your fish boil with butter and garlic sauce? Is it steamed in tin foil or do you actually boil it?

Thanks, Vickie

several years ago we did the boil thing in a dill sauce and it was great. I am almost positive we used a baking bag in boiling water. I would bet since then someone has come out with something better than a baking bag for this, but I do know it worked for us.

You actually boil it. I've never done it for shore lunch but at home you just bring (salted) water to a boil, toss in the fillets, when it comes to a boil again, drain the water, and drisel your (garlic) butter over the top. If you want to do potatoes with it, bring your water to a boil, dump in the potatoes, when it comes to a boil, add the fish, when it comes to a boil again, its all done, drain and add your butter. Very good and not as greasy as fried fish. If you were going to do this for shore lunch you may want to do it over a camp stove.

Well we actually quit the fish idea overall as it takes too much time,prep and mess as well as it adds to many additional items to the boat, so now we resort to the oh so good roasted hot dog over an open fire, it's simple no mess and your back fishing in no time.

I assume you guys are talking walleye filets. I have visions of them breaking into pieces and being a big mess -- do the filets stay together in one piece? I've seem some fish chowder/soup ideas that look good, too but haven't tried them yet.

Vickie

Quote:

You can get Vigo at most major grocers. I prefer the White and Wild rice, and then a big can of pork and beans on the fire. The Slaw is also a great idea. Nice crisp green veggies are always a plus. Just get the bagged kind of coleslaw that you add your own dressing to. It keeps way longer than a bagged salad.

I like that idea irvingdog. It reminds me of fish tacos. They'd be great with walleye. Use a corn/flour tortilla, add lettuce or cabbage, hot sauce and/or tarter sauce (sour cream is also good), and squeeze on a little lime and you're set. Do some rice and beans or something on the side. It's simple and delicious.

Now I'm hungry.

Our group takes a bag of O'brian potato's, they are hash browns with onions and peppers mixed in. First we fry a pound of bacon that has beed cut into small pieces until crisp, then add the potatoes and a bag of frozen corn and fry till the potatoes and corn are brown.