• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I grew up in the area and there are a few areas in St Paul I might not go back to but didn't have too many problems in the Burnsville area. I used to go to some areas as a kid to fish in St. Paul that were bad, but no one cared a bout the kid with a fishing pole. I didn't know any better, I was a kid. I used to think a baseball bat with on the bike, then I met a guy with a switch blade and I was more carefull where I went.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouchless

• Larry FlatCaster

• mad_mangler

• Shack

wow nobody on here for almost a month what doesnt anybody go down here anymore. i cought a few the other day 4 channels all under 10 pounds but they were cought at like noon all within a hour

The decomposing bison heads must have scared everyone off....

Glad to heard you got into some fish.

Bison heads, eh? What the heck. Wonder who put those there. Can ya smell em from the river LFC?

Channel 5 did a news story about a week ago. People called the cops and they said it was DNR responsibility... DNR said it was the first that they heard of it. Guess it was pretty funky.

Black dog road has been a little odoriferous..... more so than usual.

The decomposing bison heads must have scared everyone off....

Glad to heard you got into some fish.

I saw those bison heads the other day. There was two or three of them dumped by the power plant. We were gonna fish there for a second but the smells were more than we could handle.

Well thats a creative way to keep people from fishing on your favorite spot...dump some bison heads...

Well thats a creative way to keep people from fishing on your favorite spot...dump some bison heads...

There are lots of ways to do that... its like crapping on your bed and property....Why? how can you enjoy your spot with that smell around?

Its hard to tell sometimes... but maybe these are buffalo heads? One quick way to id them is knowing a little about the animal....A buffalo roams the prairie (as we all know) BUT a bison is what an Australian washes his face in.

Just thought I'd throw that out.

That's funny Dark.

I went to school in Fargo at NDSU. The mascot there is the Bison. When I started my first job in Iowa, a guy I worked with was like "it's too bad Bison are extinct. stupid over-hunting".

I say "huh? dude you can go get bison meat at the store and you can find farms with hundreds of them and I think there are several wild herds (some fairly large) in Montana and Wyoming, they are definitely NOT extinct".

He insisted that the ones around now are buffalos, and not Bison. I said "no, buffalos are found in Africa, that's just a name the white settlers gave to the Bison because they looked somewhat similar...it's technically not a correct name for them." Turns out they are in the same kingdon, phylum, class, order, and family, but a different genus.

Then he tried to tell me that the ones we see nowadays are some type of genetically engineered cow/steer or that they were somehow different than the ones from the 1800s...

It took a while and some googling, but eventually I convinced him that the Bison do indeed exist.

My buddies grandpa has some bones from a Giant Bison from way back in the day. Suckers are huge.

• 2 weeks later...

well its good to see that people are still on here. the bison heads are gone and its safe to fish. i have been spending more time at a nice spot up in shakopee that i found the fishing seems to be a lil better there. havent cought the big one yet but still trying.

mad_mangler,

I fish the other end of black dog a lot (eagan end). I would like to try the other end sometime if you would like to show me around that area. Caught my first 2 flats (31" & 25") and would like to find some bigger ones. I'm a regular working stiff so if its late night fishing it would have to be on a weekend, but I'm free most week nights from 4-10pm. and I'm also in Eagan

i havent cought the real big ones either. i work at night all week and on the weekends my wife likes me to stay home so i dont get out at night a whole lot. and lately with the lower water levels and not cathching a whole lot ive been going to shakopee.

Some pix from couple visits to Black Dog. ALL fish released. Sturgeon was caught on two desperate shiner minnows treaded on 8/o gamakatsu circle hook.

P.S. A word of caution: my friend in the red hat has learned a lesson: look away when trying to pull the snagged line out of the water by hand. The one ounce egg sinker shot out of water and right in the corner of an eye. At first he seemed to be OK after the initial pain agony, but 2 days later he had to go to a doctor. This picture worth $1500 - the cost of an eye surgery.

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

Very nice fish, I have been waiting to see another report, figured they'd turn on again for a fall feeding frenzy. Wow, a sumo flathead double, a lake sturgeon, and an eye surgery. What a night. I hope your buddy is OK. Your screen name "ouchless" couldn't even save him from that egg sinker, it seems.

I haven't seen a lake sturgeon come out of the MN river that far upstream yet. This makes me wonder how long it'll be before they get to the areas that I fish, just a few miles further upstream. That is always a welcome incidental catch. Unfortunately, I don't use cutbait all that often, so that reduces my odds at ever seeing one. But, it's nice to see them making a comeback!

Nice report, and keep it up.

Lake Sturgeon in the MN....that is cool.

Shoot... and here we all are running to the Croix and they are in our back yard.

Nice pics Mate!

hey ouchless i still need to get fishing with you. the one photo looked like one of my spots down at the powere plant is it?

hey ouchless i still need to get fishing with you. the one photo looked like one of my spots down at the powere plant is it?

No, it is not. When at BD, I start fishing at the discharge while catching bait and stay there unless nothing happens. If so, it's important not to get too comfortable in your chair and move around different spots.

This shore has many different features - rocks, clay, back current etc. Just be dynamic, put some hours on the water and treat every cast as if it'll be The One (check for beat-up line, knots, bait hookup and the hook sharpeness)

If you'd like to fish with us I'll need some kind of contact, so we could exchange phone numbers. Tonuight is a possibility, around 10pm

Well how do you like that John we were just talking about never seeing a laker in the minnesota river and now heres proof lol

When at BD, I start fishing at the discharge while catching bait and stay there unless nothing happens. If so, it's important not to get too comfortable in your chair and move around different spots.

Love your BD Reports man...you are an inspiration! My buddies and I have been down to BD a couple of times for four hours after dark and have been skunked twice (once using cut sucker and once using live 5-7" bullies).

About how long do you hang at a particular spot with no real action before you move on to try someplace else? Any other tips? I've got a few 25"+ Channels, but would really like to hook into a nice Flat!

Thanks again!

Well ended up with 5 flats nothing bigger then 15lbs all caught on cut bait (suckers) fishing the wash out from the discharges.