• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm back to Black Dog ...and it's a warm welcome. I was just laying down the "spawn theory" to my friend as I cast my first sucker. Less than 5 minutes later the theory was out of the window. I was praying for my drag to hold on as my line rushed into murky water. I could see the core of the spool showing through the last yard of the line. Horror! Horror!

It was a #45 flathead. 10pm, large sucker, 60 lb test braided line, circle hook. I did not free the drag because of oh-so-many snags around. So the fish set itself in the corner of a lip.

IMG_2281crop.jpg

IMG_2287.jpg

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouchless

• Larry FlatCaster

• mad_mangler

• Shack

dang, man you got it dialed in. Sorry I missed you last summer down there, thinking at 4 bucks a gallon I'll be more in town this year than before when I hit the river - maybe I'll run into you this summer.

dude, I have got to get your secret! laugh

I'm back to Black Dog ...and it's a warm welcome. I was just laying down the "spawn theory" to my friend as I cast my first sucker. Less than 5 minutes later the theory was out of the window. I was praying for my drag to hold on as my line rushed into murky water. I could see the core of the spool showing through the last yard of the line. Horror! Horror!

It was a #45 flathead. 10pm, large sucker, 60 lb test braided line, circle hook. I did not free the drag because of oh-so-many snags around. So the fish set itself in the corner of a lip.

g

Awesome Fish..... You know its funny every one tells me I'm full of [PoorWordUsage] and there aren't any big fish in that area...

And then comes Ouchless throwing the gauntlet down...

Sounds like it was pretty exciting with the fish pulling line like that.

Folks for the record, there are some monster's in there.... and to pull one out is a an amazing feat!! Those discharges have to be some of the toughest underwater terrain to fish. The are "tackle black holes" and there are a ton sharp objects just waiting to cut a line.

Tip of the Hat mate! Heck of a nice fish and great photo's

Quote:
You know its funny every one tells me I'm full of [PoorWordUsage] and there aren't any big fish in that area...

I think it has to do with "bigger" water and more area to cover. I really do not know though.

There are bigs pigs in this area and bigger than most might think. Even though it is not all that far, but I feel the fish’s life style and habits change a lot from upstream to down stream. The structure of the river, forage and other aspects come into play.

Just got to find them and at this point, I would say Ouchless is finding them grin.

Nice fish and good to see you back this year.

We were just talking the week about Ouchless and were he has been. Well guess who back. Nice fish. I fish down there quite a bit will have to hook up sometime and chase some Flats.

Quote:
You know its funny every one tells me I'm full of [PoorWordUsage] and there aren't any big fish in that area...

I think it has to do with "bigger" water and more area to cover. I really do not know though.

There are bigs pigs in this area and bigger than most might think. Even though it is not all that far, but I feel the fish’s life style and habits change a lot from upstream to down stream. The structure of the river, forage and other aspects come into play.

Just got to find them and at this point, I would say Ouchless is finding them grin.

You are right Shack..... And tosay I've gotten a few nice ones down there. Its a great shore spot. But many have worked it and come up empty handed. Hence they are telling me I'm full of [PoorWordUsage] when I start touting the black dog spill ways. It does get a fair amount of pressure but, if your at the right place at the right time... Viola!!!

Now wait a gall dang minute here.

LFC, are you trying to now tell me there are fish in that stretch??

Dude don't know if he's coming or going. One minute there are no fish there, the next it's full of em. grin

Nice fish Ouchless, keep em coming.

I checked out the black dog launch today on the way to work...I can see why people worry about personal safety down there. It seems like a great place for illegal activity. I was also looking for the other launch just a little bit upstream from black dog but had a hard time finding it? Do you take black dog from 35w or is it up/down the road a few exits?

Nice fish b.t.w. Ouchless.

There's a launch right off of 35W and another one off of 77. Those are the only two there. Both are near discharges from Blackdog.

The next one up is in Shakopee.

Unless you are able to find the hidden gem 169 Launch that a lot of us like to go to wink

Black Dog... That would be in Burnsville on south side of Minnesota River??? If Im correct... then yes theres a launch on the north side of Minnesota River in Bloomington... Just take the 106th exit... go east on 106th til the street ends in a T... then go south on Lyndale... it'll take you directly to the launch... You'll see 35W above you at the launch...

Ouchless... if you wouldnt mind teaching few stuff to a newbie like me, let me know... I live right off 98th in Bloomington so meeting you for some fishing wouldnt be a problem... I have no Catting stuff... but I have muskie stuff... Im sure my 7'6MH mated with 6600CB will do just fine for this kind of thing...

Seems like Im starting to get a catfish itch... and it'd be FUN to go out fishing for them when Im not targeting muskies... if its anybody's fault... I'd point to CJAC for starting this!!! grin

Quote:
Unless you are able to find the hidden gem 169 Launch that a lot of us like to go to

Or the Fort Snelling launch by Navy Island. I have seen it on the water, but never been to it from land.

Must have to have a permit grin

Oooo...I'm going to have to keep an eye out for the 169 launch....that's close to home!

Is that Sasquatch's younger, more conservative brother who also shops(stalks) the isle's of Wal-Mart late at night?

If so....I'm scared. eek

Sorry about the humor(or lack thereof). I think the stale office air is getting to me.

Quote:
Unless you are able to find the hidden gem 169 Launch that a lot of us like to go to

Or the Fort Snelling launch by Navy Island. I have seen it on the water, but never been to it from land.

Must have to have a permit grin

Actually its Pike Island Mate... And yes you need a state park sticker/permit. Not the best spot for Catters, they close the park at 10:00pm

Be careful if you find it. Many Samsquatch sightings there.

Just remember to keep stocked up on Jack links... I hear that Samsquatch can not resist.

Sorry LFC, my bad grin.

I had Navy/Rasberry on my mind while writting the post whistle.

Yes, it is Pike Island (or right up stream there of).

Looks like a nice little launch. If I am correct, it has a dock.

The 169 ramp is probably a little mudded in right now. Not sure the city is going to clear that one.

We might have to get Larry to plow it for us.

Yeah, I went in there and thought it was a nice spot to get on the water (dock,calm,clean & paved launch). Does that park get patrolled more often since a permit is required?

Sorry LFC, my bad grin.

I had Navy/Rasberry on my mind while writting the post whistle.

Yes, it is Pike Island (or right up stream there of).

Looks like a nice little launch. If I am correct, it has a dock.

If your talking about Ft.Snelling launch... Yes. Both that one and cedar have docks at them.

dude, I have got to get your secret! laugh

The secret is to not to get lazy and move to where you think the fish is going to be. It's way too easy to get comfortable and settle in your chair for the rest of a night. That's wrong.

This fish was caught in the third spot I fished within one hour or so. And I will not have to drag my friend with me - he learned to follow me last night o_O.

Sounds like it was pretty exciting with the fish pulling line like that.

Folks for the record, there are some monster's in there.... and to pull one out is a an amazing feat!! Those discharges have to be some of the toughest underwater terrain to fish. The are "tackle black holes" and there are a ton sharp objects just waiting to cut a line.

Tip of the Hat mate! Heck of a nice fish and great photo's

Sounds like you know about black holes from experience 0_o . It is exactly that. I consider myself lucky not if I don't snag my tackle, but if I successfully get it out.

At times, an underwater branch breakes off and I pull out a fully dressed fisherman's X-mass tree with about 30 hooks and the whole enchilada. This comes as a very interesting history lesson. YOu sit there and examine the 'trashure' chest branch, smiling at some naive guys with their #8 test line, then you find someone's steel leader and a nice circle hook (thinking "not so tough after all, huh?), etc. Prettt-ty amusing…

You even caught that without your lucky sweater.

Baby steps... lol

Quote:

You are right. What looks to be pretty unattractive place to fish flats up the stream becomes a good spot downstream. To quote Einstein - it's all relative...

• 1 year later...

I just love coming back to Black Dog. Not having a boat this is the place for me to move around and try different spots during "slow" month. Nice to see that big water on Minnesota river still produces nice fish.

I had suckers for bait that night, I never stop trying to catch shad down there because (and if you ever fish this waters - note this) Black Dog + shad = exciting action. I only had to scoop water about seventy times tired, and as soon as I caught one shad I hooked it on my hook. Within 3 minutes I watched the tip of the rod rattle and thought that it's the shad being so lively. But soon clicker began to move and slowly line ran walked off the spool for about 20 very long seconds.

The circle hook got her right where it should've - in the corner of the lower lip. The flathead weighted just under 30 lb. One shad - one flathead...

One shad...one flathead. Just like a sniper. Congrats on not only catching a nice flathead, but also on putting in the effort to catch your own local bait there beforehand. I like your report.

hey ouchless I fish that area alot also along with some friends. ahvent cought anything like that one yet but i hope to soon. maybe we can fish together sometime. maybe i can get some pointers from you.