• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New Camo?

chucker34

So I'm thinking of buying some new camo for the fall - specifically some of the predator pattern Cabela's has in its silent weave series. But, I'm torn between buying the insulated coat and non-insulated coat along with the pants and head covering/hat.I'm leaning toward getting the uninsulated so it works during early bowhunting and getting a size too big so I can layer a long underwear top, long sleave tee and heavy sweatshirt under it for those November bowhunts. Will this keep me warm enough? Thoughts?

What I did aprox. 8 years ago was to purchase a set of Bug tamer pants and top for control of the bugs. This suit work great and runs about $120.00 for both the top and bottom. Then I also purchased another set of camo a little heavier for late fall and early November for the cooler days. Using some good long underwear along with the medium weight camo, I can hunt both medium and cooler weather until mid November.

The Bug tamer suit is great for bugs if you hunt the earlier time of the season. I know this will run a little more in the cash department but, it works great.

Thanks Harvey Lee. I have a bug suit I do use for early season camo more so than the bugs. Light and breathable. But I'm hoping if I get an insulated coat with the set (they don't have insulated pants) I could start wearing it by early to mid October with a light t-shirt, etc. The noninsulated pants concern me too but I'd think with good long underwear underneath and sweats, that could work.

I dont wear any real heavy camo as its to bulky for bow hunting. A medium jacket and pants along with a few layers of good under garments and you should stay fairly warm.

Good luck.

Chucker:

First of all, excellent pick on the predator silent weave. I own some and love it. Especially for tree-stand hunting, I think they've got the best patterns out there.

Regarding staying warm enough, it's all about the layers. I wear silk as a base for wicking (and it's incredibly warm) and alot of guys like the underarmor. Then, an intermediate layer, like the cabelas midweight or ECWS gear, and on top of it, some form of wind-stopper sweater or sweatshirt, then camo.

Most of my bowhunts are 2-3 hours when I get time to head out; however in November, if you're hunting the rut and want to be out there all-day, another option would be to buy the insulated coat, and a long-sleeve T shirt for the early season stuff. It'll cost more, but very little more in comparison. Those long-sleeve t's are quite versatile, esp. if you order them big enough to fit a layer underneath, but not so big that you can't wear them alone.

Joel

Thanks jnelson. I'm thinking several layers under the uninsulated jacket would work for rut hunts but will definitely consider the t-shirt option as well before I make my final decision. I had somebody else who owns a set tell me they take the approach you do with the layering and can hunt well into the low teens comfortably. I'm thinking of going with the fall gray for the woods I hunt. What pattern do you prefer?

Wait a minute, did jnelson just admit to all of the natural world that he wears silk undies??? ooo.gif

Chucker, I'll have to agree with several of Harvey's past posts- buy the camo pattern you feel most confident in, but don't get too worked up about it. I would guess that less than 1% of deer that bust a guy do so because of the camo pattern he/she is wearing. Movement, background and foreground cover, and movement will cook your goose much, much more than the actual pattern of camo you have on (IMO). That being said, I like cool camo and have a fair amount of it, but I really think people make a much bigger deal about it than necessary.

Thats correct Scoot. Many times a guy is silhouetted in the sky if he sets up on the edge of a tree line. Sometimes one is not high enough or moves a small amount and gets caught. I use to hunt with a guy that just wore green colored clothes and rarely caught by the deer.

All the different camo is great but the deer do not know the difference from one to another. Keeps the camo companies in business though.

Wear some camo, get up high and use some scent or make sure your as scent free as possible. Sorry for getting off track on this one.

Harvey Lee and Scoot, thanks and I agree. I was just asking cause I like seeing which patterns people prefer. And I probably won't buy much other camo for awhile so wanted to get some thoughts.

I do about half my hunting from ground blinds if not more but I am in desparate need of some new hunting clothes so I thought I would pick a good camo pattern. Predator seems pretty good. I think the people who make a really big deal of the camo are usually selling it as well. grin.gif

Chucker, I totally agree with your last comment- right on the money.

I've got one buddy who I hunt with a lot- he's got every camo pattern known to man (practically, at least). He insists that it "makes all the difference". He wears a particular pattern from head to toe- same pattern in hat, face mask, shirt, gloves, pants. We go on a 5 day hunt in Western ND each year and he wears five different patterns totally matching from head to toe. I bring some extra camo, but nothing even close to him. He and I shoot about the same number of deer each year.

I have two sets of camo, the first set is your regular green army fatigues, I like them because of the many pockets for gear. Early in the season, thats all I'll wear, with a hat and bug net. As it cools down, I'll start adding polypropelene long underwear and a sweatshirt.

By late Oct/early November, especially in the mornings, I'll add my second set of camo, which is an insulated bib/insulated coat combo. These go right over my green camo, since I have a lot of gear - release, binocs, haul rope, headlamp, etc in the pockets. I will generally carry the insulated bib and coat to the stand and put it on there. Make sure it has the zippers on the legs!!! I also like the bib/coat combo rather than a coverall because it gives you two layers on your back. The camo pattern is skyline and is also reversable to white camo for late season hunting. By the late Dec hunts I've also added another layer underneath!

I also like to stock up on those chemical handwarmers, I put one in each pocket, they're great for keeping your hands warm when it starts to cool down!

Good luck!

Chucker:

I do my best to match my surroundings, and have quite a bit of green and brown camo patterns from turkey hunting. That said, the most all-purpose pattern they make is brown deception. If you'll be doing almost all of your hunting out of a tree (high enough up that you won't be seen against the ground, up against a ridge, etc), I'd go with the fall grey.

I'll agree with much of what's said, in that camo patterns can be overplayed. Esp. basic patterns that are very similar (e.g. mossy oak vs. realtree).

That said, you need camo anyway. Might as well have the best available to break-up your silhouette and match your surroundings. Furthermore, the confidence factor with camo cannot be overstated!!!! Scoot's buddy might not shoot many deer at all without the confidence his pre-hunt rituals give him, including camo-choice.

I choose Predator over others I've used because of the variability in the pattern, giving me more versatility, and most importantly, the "branch" effect which I'm convinced gives a 3D effect. They overlook you.

This year hunting turkeys, I had 3 deer come from 40 yards away, right at my position. They walked towards, then behind me, stepping over a log which I was sitting against, an estimated 4 yards from where I sat. At that range, they almost always stomp/blow. The wind was right, and I simply looked like another part of the forest. I could feel the vibrations in the log as their hooves grazed it.

The more successful outings like that one you have with whatever camo you choose, the more confidence you'll have in your camo. After that scenario, and plenty others with turkeys, I hunt more confidently with the stuff.

Do I abandon good woodsmanship, playing the wind, and overall hunting smart? No. But let's face it. Mosquitos buzz near your ears, you take one peek too many, and the perfect setup isn't always to be had.

As for the silk....what can I say.....guilty pleasure?

Joel

Ha! Enjoy that silk all you want. May have to look into it. Lots of good feedback guys. Thanks.

I did end up ordering a set of the fall gray last night - pants, insulated coat, long sleeve tee, headnet, and ball cap. Came to $70 after using gift card, Cabela's coupon offer, and my available Cabela's points.

I think the fall gray will work well in the trees and expecially because I bought some brackents at the hardware store to attach brush and branches to my stands. I think it will actually work pretty well on the ground as well. As mentioned, as long as your outline is broken up and it gives you some confidence. Plus, I hunt lots of brushy and scraggly places on the ground that it will blend well with.

Thanks again.