• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

3-way rigging cranks

Fathead

Hello all,

Just wondering if any of you are having any success 3way rigging cranks lately? When the bite was on in 2002, this was absolutely a killer presentation. I am heading up on Thursday (first time this year)and planning on running spinners & crawlers, but I do love cranking when that bite is on.

Any info would be appreciated.

I have always wondered if this would work. I was going to try a 3 way with a X-Rap. Do you think that would work? The darting and dead in the water action might be very effective. Any thoughts?

I bought all the stuff to do this this year, but the rigging and spinner bite has been soo good I haven't had a chance to try it. I will get to it this summer for sure.

Al Linder did a show on 3 way rigging deep gravel. They never mention what lake they are on, but I would bet anything that it was Mille Lacs. Their theory was that pulling spinners works well too, but the size of the fish seems to be bigger with cranks.

What color and style cranks would you use in this set up? I have only used it on Lake Trout up in Canada and anything worked.

Just a thought, shallow running shad raps. colors maybe the chromes, and the usual firetiger, chart. clown???

I've never tried this, but this is an interesting presentation to try if the deep running taildancers don't get down deep enough.

Maybe these (taildancers) would work just off the deep edges of the mud or out just a little further when sometimes the eyes are, and sometimes suspended a little???

#7,9, or 11 Original Raps work as well as others that don't have much of a bill on them. Have to find a heavy drop weight to get them down in deeper water or if you want to move with a little speed, all while keeping your line at a 45° angle. I haven't had much luck finding anything over 1-3/4 oz in the few places I've had a chance to look. I'm still experimenting with 3-way cranks myself this year on smaller lakes.

That prince bait shop in milaca has a some 2 and 3 once balls as well as the weights on chains in the same 1, 2 and 3 oz variety.

I have found 2oz. and 3oz. ball weights at Gander Mtn. and Dicks Sporting Goods. It was just by chance because I was having trouble finding them. I have also been warned that you have to be moving forward when you let out the line otherwise you leader gets all tangled in your other two lines.

On the windier days, i have tried using a black quick change spinner clip and forcing the 1oz ball weight into the spinner clip. That way the spinner clip was sliding on the line and i was able to fish vertical, keeping the distance off the bottom. maybe this would work with the raps also, instead of doing the 3 way? just a thought, as i am going to try it saturday morning.

I took a bottom bouncer and added a egg sinker Slid it up the wire then crimped on a split shot under it. if I needed more weight I added more egg sinkers its not pretty but its cheap and it works.

TrophyEyes

Would those small dipsy divers (I think they make some for walleye fishing) work instead of trying to rig up 3 ways???

The crankbaits they were using on the show were original or jointed floating Rapalas in #7 and #9. I think this presentation would work very well for a tight area or edge. 125 ft. of line back to a Reef Runner or Deep Taildancer makes it very hard to make tight turns and keep the baits right where they need to be. I buy most of my heavy sinkers at small bait shops around the rivers. 2, 3, and even seen up to 6 oz. bell sinkers.

I have never used a Dipsy Diver, but I suppose it would work. Anything to get it down quickly and not too far behind the boat. It is just another tool in the tackle box that I might through at them.

These would probably work then. I think you can adjust how deep you want them to go also.

Think I'll pick up a few and give them a try later on in July.

If your'e using those heavy sinkers, what type of rods are you using???

Probably my St. Croix medium action bait caster. It is the same one I pull spinners with. I always go a little light on the rod. I hate pulling in a 19" fish with a heavy rod.

What's the weight range on that rod??? Med action?? I know what you mean on pulling up fish up with the heavy rods. I tend to do the same thing fish light to med light action spinning rods. Move up to med action to handle the heavier weights when the wind really kicks in up there.

I'm heading to Mille Lacs tomorrow and was going to try this for the first time to see how it does compared to the other guys using spinners. I got some 2 oz sinkers at Sportsmans Warehouse and I've got a shallow storm thunderstick and a few original raps to try.

Yeah, Medium action. I am not sure what the suggested lure weight range is.

I use a 7' Medium/Fast baitcast setup. I also have Medium Heavy spinning rods that works well also. I like using the lightest rod I can get away with. All my rigging rods are medium lights because I like to have fun playing them out. Pulling spinners and 3 ways with a heavy weight requires some backbone, so I have no problem stepping up to something heavier. The fight might not be as much fun, but it sure puts the fish in the boat.