• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Headed to Itasca camping for the first time. The boys and I will have a canoe and the fishing gear along any sugestions on where to go and how to do it this time of year would be appreciated.

Thanks Moose smile.gif

Moose, I was up there with my wife and another couple over Memorial Day weekend, and the fishing was really good. I don't know exactly what you're targeting but I' goign to guess by now the panfish are ging to be up shallow. They were out in 14 fow then, but should be up spawning by now. the eyes were out anywhere from 12-16 fow, maybe deeper by now. Also got into some nice jumbo perch that were running rihgt with the eyes. Northerns were everywhere 10-22 fow. We got everything on plain rigs with orange float and red hook with jumbo leeches or shiners. When you get there stop at the bait shop, they were the ones that got us in the fish quickly, very good information, and not affraid to share. Good luck and have a great time, have been going up there for many years now and never get tired of it. It truely is beautiful country up there.

If you get a chance, take the kids on a hike along Itasca. there is a trail that starts by the headwaters and runs along the west side of the lake, saw eveything from beaver, deer, a porcupine, and even a bear. Just give the bear room, she had a couple of cubs with her. She wasn't aggressive but we didn't crowd her either. grin.gif