• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fisher pics

Cooter

Finally got pics from last year's fisher - trapped between Christmas and New Year's. Female, believe it was 4.5lbs - getting tanned right now. First animal I've ever trapped. Also had a white patch between its front legs.

005_19A.jpg

006_18A.jpg

007_17A.jpg

That's a dandy! I too caught my first fisher last year! I ended up catching two of them. They are not trap shy at all, are they! Mine were caught in shiny conibears as well!

If they were the least bit trap shy I'd never have gotten her!!

That's a nice fisher! I didn't luck out this year, but my dad and I ended up with 7 marten. Man are those fisher an ornery critter when in a leg hold. I swear they'd give a badger or wolverine a run for their money. The trap snaps and they go to diggin'!

Do you have any pics of the marten? We aren't allowed to hunt them here in WI. In fact there is a large chunk of northern WI where there are no dryland traps allowed as they are trying to restore them there.

Guess when I get the confidence I'll try footholds on fox and coyote and get a good dose of humility and failure! I can just imagine how tough getting a yote in a foothold must be. For sure I want to try snaring for them this winter, I've heard its much more effective and thus I might actually get a couple.

Of course there is always the option of sending a dose of lead poisoning their way at 3,300 fps grin.gif Might even try that tonight.

Wish I could post them, but I'm not to computer savy tongue.gif. This was the first year that the old man and I actually didn't get a fisher or two. We had them come up to the trap but didn't commit. What were you using for bait? We use beaver and muskrat in our sets. We found that a good ol' cubby set works best, but a 220 in a bucket is quick if there isn't a deadfall to use. We also use the box sets, but have had little luck.

Do you have those pics on a digital cam or your computer? If so I'll get you my email and we'll get them up.

I was using a 220 in a pail - had some old venison steak and ring bologna in them along with a secret lure pasted on the tree I wired my traps to. Actually not a secret, its called Nitro and is made by Art Simmerman, aka Trapper Art, from Cornell WI. Good stuff, pleny o skunk odor to it shocked.gif

What was cool is how close to Eau Claire I trapped that one, more common further east and also north of here - although they have been expanding in the area lately. We found a set this past winter while yote hunting about 15 miles south of Eau Claire, which is farmland/woodlot country, not the typical big woods/pine tree type habitat you usually find those fishers in. They are one neat critter.

Unfortunately, We used my dads old camera (still in the stone age). Next time you set, try something sweet. That's our secret scent, but not secret anymore cool.gif. We figured this out after years of bear hunting when the marten would come in a take donuts one after another from the bait pile. That and you don't have to stink like pole cat or urine of some sort. The wife'll still let you in the house and if she's got a sweet tooth LOOK OUT! grin.gif

Nice pics. Yeah, those things are rammy little bugersm aren't they? We had one getting in to my parents minnow tanks at their resort so we set a live trap. We got it that night, and it was my job to release it. I drove it 10 miles down the road to an old logging road and took the trap out of the truck bed and put it on the ground. It was hissing and snapping at me while in the cage. I climbed onto the trucks tailgate and put the trap on the ground. Then I opened the trap, expecting this thing to turn on me, grin.gif, and it bolted out of that cage like the roadrunner in the cartoons. Looking back now, I wish I would have kept it. But not being a trapper and not having anything but a standard small game license we went the live trap route.

Yep, they are like little wolverines - some serious piss and vinegar in them critters.