• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleye Nut looking for Muskie info

I have been a die hard "walleye only" angler ever since I could drive/pull a boat. Last year tangled with some Muskies on the river during that heat wave in July and sadly to say I am gettng the bug. Are there any seasonal movements or tips (lures or colors)that anyone would mind sharing? I'm assuming bays and backwaters during summer and channels in Fall? Last year every fish came on white bucktails and almost every fish came trolling. thanks for any info,

Dave (aka hawgeye maybe soon to be hawgski)

bucktails catch alot of fish. my buddy and i take turns throwing bucktails, twitch baits, and jerk baits. the guy throwing the jerk and twitch baits seems to see the most fish, but we find that the bucktails or large spinner baits usually catch more fish. i think it is just easier for the fish to catch the straight moving baits and get them in their mouth. many times they flash at the other baits, but miss them due to the erratic nature of the lure.

fall is a great time to get out there and throw LARGE baits moving nice and slow and we have had decentluck in the middle of a nice sunny October day when the water warms up just a little bit. the fish are feeding on big meals that time of year and they are as heavy and healthy as any time of the year. i had read the Bucher book and he talked about breaking ice in early November to get at the fish that were still putting on the feed bag. Good luck.

Thanks for the info guys and no worries here no way would I keep any sized muskie. Unlike Norhtlander my taste buds don't salivate over the thought of muskie fingers grin.gif I popped a couple of nice pike ~ 10lbs last night but no skis. thanks again,

dave

Muskies can be anywhere on the river. I have caught them from 1.5' of water all the way to 30+' of water. During the summer I have had the best success along the really deep weed edges, the edges of some of the larger feeding flats, and any type of current break. The backsides of underwater humps and rockpiles can be especially productive current breaks. As a rule I don't give out specific spots, but if you cruise the river hitting spots that look "fishy" you will soon develope your own milk run that will be very productive.

Don't forget to try Island Lake. Stick to main basin structures. Don't waste any time in the back bays like others have said. Alot of structure to fish but if your persistent you will find them. It's taken me 4 years to be able to consistently find fish out there but they are there. I got this 47"er last wednesday at sunset. Also Amnicon and Lyman out in pattison park are worth a try...not many of any size there but you'll get some action. Oh and if your just starting to get the bug do whatever you can to get rid of it unless you have lots of money and can go out 4 trips in a row and never see a fish and have a wife that doesn't mind planning vacations around the moon cycles:} Good Luck.

http://www.clanmage.net/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album12&id=muskie7a

i'm curious and new to the area, so is there an island lake and island reservoir or are they the same body of water?

Yes there are 2. There is an Island Lake down by Moose Lake and Island Lake Reservoir just north of Duluth. They both have muskies. I got that muskie on Island Lake Reservoir.