• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone else having trouble with lowrance units post update?

mamohr686

Question

Between my dad and I we have 3 lowance gps/sonar combo units all on different boats. 2 are X-15MT and 1 is a LMS-332C. This spring we did all the updates and all the units have the same problem reading depth in weedlines. Before our units would read great even at wide open. Now whenever we are in any kind of shallow soft bottom 9 to 2ft of water, the sonar depth will blink and the screen will stop progressing (before when the sonar would momentarily lose signal the screen would keep moving). I've literally tried every single sonar setting to help with the problem from ping speed to sensitivity and even gray scale etc. I think this new update might make me lose a lower unit on my outboard. When I'm comming up in the shallows I frequently lose my depth, and almost as annoying I don't know the depth to get an idea if I can safely get on plane. On hard rock bottom the problem isn't nearly as bad but, any weedy cabbage or submerged vegitation and I have to resort to a flasher. Any way to go back to the earlier update, or fix this problem? I really hate to sit on hold for 3 hours to talk to a human at lowance.

• Answers 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• sparkyaber

• iffwalleyes

• mamohr686

• Valv

I got a copy of 1.7 I think this is what I was running in my 332 before updating. I might have been 1.6 but I will try and see how it runs now and if need be I can try getting 1.6. Email sent with file.

Quote:

I got a copy of 1.7 I think this is what I was running in my 332 before updating. I might have been 1.6 but I will try and see how it runs now and if need be I can try getting 1.6. Email sent with file.

I would take a copy of that if you could? My buddies are 'bout ready to put the smack down on me for messing with their gps/sonar. They said it was done on purpose so I finally could catch more fish than them grin.gif.

Seriouslly, If you could e-mail me a copy, I would help distribute it to who ever needs it. (If I can figure out the upload feature on my email. I have never tried it, but it can't be that hard, can it? confused.gif)

thanks iff- got it, installed it, we did not take his boat, but when we do, I will let everyone know. Thank you for taking the time get the downloads and send them off to me. If anyone needs the previous versions for the lms-332c or the lcx-25c let me know I will send them out. Thanks to iffwalleyes and tgtt009 for doing all of the leg work wink.gif.

Sparky

What were the steps you used to install the program from Iff (jason)? He emailed them to me also. I just downloaded the file and draged them to my card. When I put the card in my unit it said "invalid loader" and then started up as normal on my 332C. how did you get 1.7 to load right?

I loaded it and it said the same thing about an invalid loader but then it did load after all. However it didn't fix the problem. It is still doing the same thing for me. So I am going to try and get version 1.6 and see if that will work better. My LCX20 is good to go though again it had version 1.4 before I upgraded and I remembered that so there is some kind of software problem with the newer versions.

mamohr686, did you place both downloads on the card? If you don't put both on it it will not work. Also, don't put it in any files on the chip. The unit needs to find the "update" right away. I don't believe it will find it if you put it in a seperate file, I found that out the hard way. Some cussing and some head scratching later, it donned on me to place it at the top "level" of the chip and it worked. Good luck.

Version 1.6 has been sent to everyone that had contacted me for the LMS 332. Like I say version 1.7 wasn't any better than 1.8 for me this weekend. But I did get my LCX20 working like it used to pre update. I can't believe they would have this problem with two versions of software and then when I was talking to them the other day claim that they had never heard of it before. Oh well at least we are getting it figured out. So anyone that wants version 1.6 get ahold of me I have the files that you need. I am pretty sure that version 1.6 was what was on mine to begin with but I couldn't remember for sure.

Man.....After reading this thread im not going near the upgrade stuff.Why wouldnt Lowrance post something about potential problems on their website.Confusing crazy.gifcrazy.gif

Thanks for the 1.6 update. I wouldnt have known that you sent it if i didnt check the forums today. As you know the 1.7 update you sent didnt solve the problem. I will get out on Tuesday to check the 1.6. Thanks again.

I got all 3 units downgraded and now....all 3 units work perfectly. the X-15's were easier because the older 3.6 version is still on their website. My problem was exactly as Sparky described for the 332C, I had too much garbage on my card. After I formated the card so there we no other files besides the 2 lowrance files. 1.6 loaded perfect and I didn't get the "invalid loader" message on the screen. Now all my units read great, and both depthfinders are at the same depth. Since I orignally posted the question the weedlines have grown a bunch. My X-135 sonar would read the correct depth and my 332C would intermittantly read the top of the weedline or not at all (and no depth reading in any weedy bottom below 10ft of water). I won't be upgrading lowrance units unless I have a problem from now on. All I wanted to do in the first place was fix the time change issue, but I guess I can live with that!

I also wanted to post my response from lowrance. I emailed lowrance on 6/12

I recieved my response on 7/1

based on the response, it appears that lowrance techs are unaware of the problem.

Thank you for your inquiry. We apologize for the delay in responding due to our

busy season. The software updates for both of the units that you list have

been posted for some time now and we are not aware of any depth related issues

with either one of them. If the units were having depth related issues prior to

the updates, then it is most likely an unrelated incident and could be either

transducer or internal unit hardware. In an effort to try to isolate the

issues, we would suggest trying the units on different transducers to see if the

problem can be duplicated on another set-up. If the issues clear up, then the

problem is with the transducer and it may need to be either replaced or

remounted. If the issue doesn't clear up but continues on, then it is most

likely internal to the unit and depending on which one it is, may not be a

serviceable issue. If the 15mt is the one, we have other options available

instead of repair. If the 332c is the one in question, repair is still

available for the unit.

Please feel free to contact us if we can assist further.

Thank you for Choosing Lowrance Electronics

12000 E. Skelly Dr.

Tulsa, OK 74128

1-800-324-1356

Thanks for your help Iffwalleye (jason) and sparkybear, you've been a bigger help than lowrance.

tgff009 if you still have a copy of the 1.6 for the lcx25c could you shoot me a copy. If any body cares to go back to 1.4 I still have that but must have deleted my 1.6. [email protected]

I'm experiencing the same problem with ver 1.8 on lms332c.

I should have learned from a similar experience with Hummingbird Matrix unit that would randomly turn itself off after a firmware update. It took 3 months the convince them they had a software problem. Could someone send ver 1.6 for lms332cto me. THANKS [email protected]

Quote:

I'm experiencing the same problem with ver 1.8 on lms332c.

I should have learned from a similar experience with Hummingbird Matrix unit that would randomly turn itself off after a firmware update. It took 3 months the convince them they had a software problem. Could someone send ver 1.6 for lms332cto me. THANKS

Did someone send you a copy yet?

I think I sent the older versions to the both of you, let me know if you did not get them.

abe

LCX 27 C, anybody has a version prior to 1.7 ? It might be there is no other versions.

Is anyone having the same problem with an LMS-520c? I just bought it and can't get the dumb thing to read anything once I get into the weeds. Is there an older version? It's this year's model.

I'm not the cursing type, but I'm on the verge.

Near as I can tell from my research on this topic if you have pre version 1.6 or old you'll be fine. But 1.7 and 1.8 are causing problems. I got the following email from lowrance

"Thank you for your inquiry. We apologize for the delay in response time, during

this extremely busy season. We are currently undergoing website and e-mail

restructuring. The delays should be reduced significantly when this work is

completed. We do appreciate your patience.

If you have already received assistance with the backdating, please disregard

this e-mail. There are software updates which should be posted in the near

future, which you will need to install when those are available. In the

interim, if you are still needing the previous update files to be e-mailed to

you, please let us know. We will be happy to do so.

Thank you for choosing Lowrance.

Lowrance Customer Service

12000 E. Skelly Dr.

Tulsa, OK 74128

Customer Service: 1-800-324-1356

Lowrance website: <http://www.lowrance.com/>"

So it would appear that they have finally admitted they have a problem as they will be reintoducing another new version. But I personally will not be loading it since my units work just fine now.

Ok, I've had the same symptoms with my LCX-110, won't read in weeds or water less than 10'. I also experienced my unit losing its reading over 30mph. 100% of these problems started after I installed 1.7.0 update. I tried changing transducers, remounting them, no help. Reading everyone else's similar problems was the most help. I contacted Lowrance this morning, and got quick service, I was helped within 5 minutes. I work at a Lowrance dealer, I've found it best to contact them right away in the morning. They will help you quicker. I asked them to email me the previous version for my 110, 1.6.0. I'll load it up and see if it helps, I'm very confident it will. I'll post my results here in a few days. If anyone needs the old 1.6.0 version for a LCX-110, I can email it to you.

I emailed eagle (same difference) two weeks ago to vent about a bad transducer that was 13 months old. I found it has a bad pin. Their respose is to make we wait two weeks and then tell me to send the head unit in. confused.gif It's not the head it is the transducer *&&^%$. I found the problem when I was up north. I stopped at Reed's to inquire about a new transducer or a new unit. The salesman said to wait right now (nice guy, the owners probably wouldn't like him saying that). He said Lowrance is pumping out software updates left and right for all this networking stuff between systems and the downside is they fix a problem in one area but mess up 10 other things. I hate to rip on software engineers but I have seen this so many times in my line of work.

I am also having problems with my LCX20. I brought it into reeds and they said I have corrupt software and I need to go back to the original software before updating it to the new software he had.Does anyone have the original software they could send me?

Horseshoe the original software is preloaded on the units when you buy them so your best bet might be to contact Lowrance and see if they will send it out to you or just send your unit back to them if it is still under warranty.

Quote:

I am also having problems with my LCX20. I brought it into reeds and they said I have corrupt software and I need to go back to the original software before updating it to the new software he had.Does anyone have the original software they could send me?

If you remember what version you had pre update I might be able to help. I have a copy of version 1.4 which is what I was running pre update. The update screwed me up so I got a copy of 1.4 from them and my unit works like it did when it was new. Let me know if you want it still.

I have an X102 and an 3500C. Ive had some issues with both. I love Lowrance products WHEN THEY WORK... BUT I would rather wait for Christ to return!!!! Rather than deal with Lowrance and their Customer service department again! That is a nightmare- forget talking to a person unless you have ALL day to wait!

But ya... they got nice equiptment. grin.gif