• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My story I will simply call "Pike got schooled" and not in a good way.

Well I boasted of 50 fish days for small mouth on the big V and was there this weekend fully expecting to pound the smallies.

I was pre-rigged with 10 of my favorite go to rigs with the top three being Senko, tube, perch xrap.

The biggest lesson I learned is that what worked in July and August of 2006 does not apply in June of 2007. Thus again the reason it is called fishing and not catching.

The report:

On Saturday morning I got on the water from 6:00-10:00. My top three in some of my favorite spots were not working. I went to rigs 4-8 and they also were not helping light up the scoreboard. I was fast approaching panic mode and hoped rig 9 and 10 might produce. They did not so I made the call that it must be more location then presentation.

I moved off shore a bit and started to look for rock type point and piles that jutted out. These locations began to produce on my Senko but the bite was still very very slow. I finished Saturday morning with 8-10 smallies and none landed were over 17. One lost fish could have been a 18-19 inch fish but in the water they always look bigger and in my distraugth state on the water I can not trust my judgement, it may have been my mind playing tricks on me.

On Sunday morning I again hit the water at 6:00 am even though a crow jolted me out of bed about 3:30 with his bone jarring cackling.

The day again started very slow and picked up about 9:30 which may be telling me the bite is not a morning bite and I need to adjust my time on the water. Final tally 6 smallies on this day and again nothing over 17. The other interesting thing is "all" fish were caught on a Senko. Nothing on the tube or any other presentation. In years past the pumpkin or watermellon with pepper sprinkle tubes have been killers. This trip they produced zippo.

Oh well I will not be there again until a couple of trips in July. If the bite is slow I will have to focus on Walleye or Musky but I still believe I can get on more 50 fish days in the future there.

Interesting on the time of day and bait....

Last year, a fast moving fluke was the bait of choice, by far. This year, the slower presented senko worked the best.

I had much better luck mid day.

Mr.Pike1,

You have learned a lesson that we all have experienced. "Do not fish memmories!" Where you got fish last year does not always apply to this years bite. It gives you a good place to start but don't keep trying the same stuff if it is not working!

Cliff

I can certainly agree with that and would like to expand a little also. From my experiences you can pull up to your spot that you know holds fish, mark those fish, but cannot put any in the boat. I am a firm believer that there is usually "active" fish in a school and those may have been caught by the people that left shortly before you arrived. Don't forget about those spots, but don't work them to death either. Move on try another spot and come back if you can. I cannot recall the number of times I will pull up and put a couple fish in the boat right away, then nothing, leave for a new spot put a few in the boat, then nothing again. Of course we all have had 1 or 2 of those days that a bare hook could probably catch fish, but it is still called fishing and not catching.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.