• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

No, fished shetek saturday morning and got skunked, gave up on fighting the gale force wind.

Shetek has been a bit of a let down.

I've heard W. Grahm is still doing well, also.

Quote:

steep bank lake was red hot over the weekend.

Apparently everybody and their brother knows about it too. I've never seen more people shore fishing in the middle of the week in all my life.

The kids enjoyed the swimming last night anyway grin.gif and the wife and I had fun watching them. Even our 1 year old daughter had fun splashing around in the water!

We caught nothing, not even a bite (although I gotta admit I didn't try too hard because of the hoards of people and the kids splashin in the water).

I seriously could not believe how many folks were there last night fishing from shore. Although it turned out to be alright in the evening, the weather during the day wasn't very nice either. Crazy... crazy.gif

Ever heard of Dane Lake? It's one and the same. It's 6 miles north and 2 1/2 miles of Ivanhoe, or 3 miles north and 4 1/2 miles east of Hendricks. It's 208 acres with a maximum depth of 6 1/2 ft. and water clarity of 1 1/2 ft. Basically, it's just a big slough. It's surprising that the DNR stocks it most years.

Nope never heard of it. Little out of my range. Thanks for the info though.

Not to be secretive about where the fish are biting but Steep Bank is a little rediculous when it comes to telling people. I know the DNR owns these lakes and it is open to public fishing but when the walleyes are biting like they were out there, it is best to just keep your trap shut and fish it yourself. The lake is way too small to have everyone and their dog out fishing it. At one time I heard there were 140 boats out there. That lake is not big enough to handle that much pressure, plus there were many out there taking more than their limits OR coming back the same day taking a second limit. This kind of behavior is very unethical. I can only hope that those of us on this page are ethical enough that this would not even enter our minds but unfortunately that is not the case. As a local fisherman to this lake it just chaps my "you know what" to see people I have never seen out there before taking over their 6 walleye limit and getting away with it. I would like to know how many tickets the local CO gave out when he stopped out there. I heard of a few and I am sure there were more than what I heard of. Its just too bad when the fish bite like they did and there are folks that just cant wait to announce it to the web world. These small lakes just cant sustain that kind of pressure and rebound.

Hopefully people are not thinking I am being selfish because that is not the case, I just get concerned when it comes to the fisheries on these small lakes. I know I am going to get drilled on this but I also know there are many out there that feel the same.

Just to put this in perspective for everyone...

If you put 140 boats (not counting people fishing from shore) on a 208 acre lake it equals...

Shetek - 3596 acres - 2421 boats

Mille Lacs - 132,516 acres - 89,194 boats

That is a lot of pressure on a lake, even one the size of Mille Lacs. I haven't fished Dane, I don't care for the Mud landing, or fighting for a spot.

Thanks for the perspective, it really does just that. I was not out there that night so I cannot say for sure there were that many out there (however I heard it from a friend) but I was out there 2 nights later and there must have been about 100+ people fishing from shore and atleast 25 boats out there. We only pulled in 4 that night so the bite had diminished a bit but thats to be expected when such a number of fish are removed. When we were fishing from shore that night, we overheard 2 guys in their boat talking on the cell to someone saying they had their limit. Of course, they still fished until sundown. When I am fishing and I am fortunate to catch my limit, I am home asap. No need to get that greedy.

If there is a situation where you know someone is overlimit TIP should be called. It may or may not do any good, but you never know if you don't call.

Quote:

When I am fishing and I am fortunate to catch my limit, I am home asap. No need to get that greedy.

Amen to that.

HEY SO WHAT ABOUT LAKE SARAH ON THE OPENER? HOW MANY BOATS WHERE THERE?? THERE IS NO WAY IN GODS GREEN EARTH YOU COULD PARK 140 BOATS AROUND THAT LAKE. I DON'T THINK THE WEB HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE FISHING THAT LAKE. SO BEFORE YOU STARTING SAYING TO MUCH THINK ABOUT. SO THE NEXT TIME A LAKE BITES STAY HOME. YOU SHOULD TAKE A LOOK AT THE SOUTH DAKOTA FISHING REPORTS.

I ALSO THINK THESE PEOPLE WHO "NEVER FISH" IT'S GOOD THAT THEY CATCH FISH. IT MAKES THEIR WHOLE YEAR. I THINK IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH PEOPLE ENJOYING THEMSELVES IN THE GREAT OUTDOORS "CATCHING FISH" TELL YOUR LEGISLATURE. TELL TO GET SOME MORE DNR ENFORCEMENT. FURTHERMORE MOST OF THESE PEOPLE WHO ARE FISHING DID BUY A LICENSE AREN'T THEY ENTITLED TO FISH WHERE THEY WANT TOO??

How these small lakes can take the huge fishing pressure we put on them when there is a very hot bite, the fish population is depeleted to a point that it takes years to get a stable lake, I don't know why but I haven't seen these kinds of frantic bites on the northern lakes like we have in the southern lakes. What would be wrong with letting the regional fisheries manager have the authority to put a temp limit on a lake for say 2 fish for a short period of time. I still think we need a 3-4 walleye limit in place state wide.

Quote:

I ALSO THINK THESE PEOPLE WHO "NEVER FISH" IT'S GOOD THAT THEY CATCH FISH. IT MAKES THEIR WHOLE YEAR. I THINK IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH PEOPLE ENJOYING THEMSELVES IN THE GREAT OUTDOORS "CATCHING FISH" TELL YOUR LEGISLATURE. TELL TO GET SOME MORE DNR ENFORCEMENT. FURTHERMORE MOST OF THESE PEOPLE WHO ARE FISHING DID BUY A LICENSE AREN'T THEY ENTITLED TO FISH WHERE THEY WANT TOO??

I agree with you 110%, and I think it is great that everyone is catching something. But the way the lakes have been this year a seasoned fisherman can catch fish on any lake around. I could have went to Dane, catch a limit in an hour or two, fight the boat landing, and get ticked off at the crowd, but I decided to go to Wood, I fished all day with a couple other boats, and brought home a couple nice eaters. The kids even had fun catching bullheads... To them it is a fish, it doesn't matter what kind it is as long as you are excited when they catch it! The point that I am trying to make is lets be SPORTSMAN not HARVESTERS. If you are fishing the "HOT BITE" lake, Great! Just be sure to do your job as a sportsman: Preserve Conservation

Was not trying to stir up a hornets nest but I am still entitled to my opinion just like everyone else on this board. And I think the idea brought forward earlier of a special harvest limit is ideal for situations like the one on Dane. Actually, I dont know why the DNR doesnt just put a daily limit of 4 on all MN lakes. Who really needs 6 walleye everytime they go out. Thats just my thinking. South Dakota has year around fishing and still they seem to preserve their fisheries just as good if not better than MN. I dont even want to get on the SD vs. MN deer management strategies but once again SD prevails.

there are way to many lakes for a special limit to be put on all of the little lakes like steep. It is not cost effiect and the lake will most likely freeze out in five years anyway. If you want special limits you will have to give a little more funding to the dnr and let them know what you think and get a whole lot of people to go along with you. Believe it or not they do listen to people they have to take classes in college just to deal with them.