• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

If you had one more cast.....

Good day all. Lost a friend of the family recently to cancer. He was only 55. With my annual vacation coming up it got me to thinking, if I only had one more cast....where would I make it, with what, what would it be for, why make it there.... Just wondering what you others thought....

Here is mine...

If I only had one more cast..... I would be on Battle Point on Cut Foot Sioux(connected to Winnie) with a slip float, chartreuse jighead and the most beautiful leech you will ever see. It would be early July(that is when I am always there), the weather would be flat calm(not good for fishing, but those nights are beautiful) with clear blue skies as the sun was setting. I would just lay it out there, hope for a bite and enjoy that one last cast. I have a soft spot in my heart for Cutfoot Sioux as I have been going there since I was a kid. It is truly God's country in my mind. Great fishing, gorgeous views and miles of undeveloped wild shoreline.

What would your last cast be for, where, with what etc.

Pacific ocean for Marlin. They are a fighting machine. I have caught one and if I was down to my last trip, another would be fun. smile.gif Another fish that would be awesome to catch would be a Hammerhead shark.

Soory for the loss of a dear friend.

First of all, Sorry for your loss. Sayin goodbye to good friends can be just as tough as family.

Nice idea for a thread

Mine would have to be up on some steam in the Bristol Bay region of Alaska. Knee deep in crystal clear water, with my flyrod trying to intercept a pod of dime bright king salmon that I just saw porpoising down river. Might have to throw in my favorite cigar too.

Down and across cast, swinging the fly into the "zone" and waiting for the take. yep......definately cool.gif

It's a shame about your friend. God bless him and his family.

I asked myself that question years ago and acted on it just to make sure I wouldn't get to the end of line with more regrets than absolutely necessary. The answer was fly fishing for bonefish. I loved it. It was very satisfying.

Of course there's no sense in answering the question only once. This sort of thing requires constant re-evaluation, wink wink.

My last cast will hopefully be with the help of a great grandson on a calm stretch of water with a warm breeze in my face and a setting sun. With luck I'll get a bite and be able to set the hook and land the fish.

I have a tradition which I have shared here before. At the beginning of the season when I catch a fish I release it in the memory of a friend. It takes a few more fish to be caught every year but they are still swimming with my thoughts for the buddies I have lost..

I would take a House Boat out of Crane Lake and spend time on Voyagers National Park. I'd like to stay at Grassy Bay & Namakin. Sit back with my fishing pole and watch the sun set.

I did it last year and would love to do it again for my last trip. smile.gif

Wading on the North Shore of Upper Red lake with good old orange Rapala Original floating minnow looking for the surge of water as a pike darts out from the bullrushes.

I'd work a Giant Jackpot across a mid lake reef on Vermilion.

floating in my canoe on tiny little Island lake, behind the house I grew up in. Red and white daredevil along the reeds to the west of the beach.

If i had one last cast i would want to be up at my old cabin. I would go out on this little lake with my Grandpa, My Dad. We would take the boat out and park it on the third point on the left. Water would be calm and the sound of loons would echo throughout the lake bottom. My last cast would be a white flu flue jig tipped with a waxworm. Instead of me catching a fish on my last cast, I would rather see my grandpa catch one more fish and see the expression on his face when he pulled up a 3/4lb sunfish.

I pray that I may live to fish.......

Until my dying day.

And when it comes to my last cast,

I then most humbly pray:

When in the Lord's great landing net

And peacefully asleep

That in His mercy I be judged

Big enough to keep.

I still have the first lure (a hula popper) I ever bought with my Dad. He gave me some money for helping with farm chores and we went and bought some lures together. We then went fishing for bass on the opener a few days later.

I would take that same lure and give it one last fling where it all started.

Sad thread that brings up memories, but a great thread.

Sorry about the loss of a friend. It's never easy, and as we get older, it gets all too frequent.

As far as the question goes, I think I'd have to do the "go back where I started" thing.

I'd cast a classic round bobber with a rainbow minnow on the Kahle style hook off of the dock at our family's cabin on Lake Vermilion, while I was sitting on the dock, feet just barely touching the water when a wave comes in, watching the beautiful Vermilion sunset as the bobber (hopefully) slowly goes out of sight. My last fish would be a beautiful 15" Walleye, which I would then release after I thanked it for the memory.

sorry to hear of your loss. I have so many great memories of the past that I would not be able to find a last cast in them.

My last cast would be with my son, daughter, anywhere. Need not be the beautiful places I have been, long as I'm with them, my last cast would be a success.

Sorry about your friend, way to early to leave this world.

Last cast....on one of the rivers on the North Shore of Lake Superior just after a spring rain and maybe set the hook on my last Steelhead.

Sounds like some great "last casts". Thanks for sharing! Hopefully all of those last casts are a long ways down the road!