• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anybody else using a dog halter (head collar) for basic training?

big bog bobby

I picked up a year-old untrained dog at an animal shelter a few weeks ago, and we’ve been getting acquainted and establishing some basic obedience commands during daily walks. Using a conventional leather collar and leash, the dog was constantly lunging ahead, or jerking sideways, etc., very difficult to control.

Didn’t want to use a choke collar, so I investigated the three major dog halters currently on the market… finally purchased a ‘Gentle Leader’ headcollar at PetSmart, specifically sized and adjusted for my new buddy.

The difference is amazing. During our lengthy morning walks, I simply hold the leash between two fingers, with just enough slack to keep the dog exactly where I want her to walk by my side. If the dog pulls on the leash, her muzzle is twisted towards me, so she can’t lunge away from me. After a few short walks, the dog teaches herself not to pull on the leash, but to always walk next to me so the leash is slack.

I’ve learned not to ever jerk on the leash, but simply to stand still when the dog puts pressure on the leash, until she returns to my side. Absolutely the best control I’ve ever seen for teaching basic obedience (Heel, Stay, Sit) and having the dog ALWAYS obey until it’s second nature.

My headcollar came with detailed instructions, even a training DVD. I wonder if other hunter owner/trainers are using headcollars (dog halters) to teach basic commands?

I bought a "Gentle Leader" about six months ago. I've got a 3 1/2 yr. old lab - sure works nice for walking him and he minds better with it on. Just curious, how much did you pay for yours? I think mine was about $20 from my vet.

Quote:

Just curious, how much did you pay for yours? I think mine was about $20 from my vet.

I live in a rural area. A clerk in a shop 20 miles away personally fitted a small size 'Gentle Leader' on my dog, charged me just under $20. After I got home and played the DVD, I realized the small size was too small, took it back, found out that was the only size the store had in stock, demanded my money back from an embarrassed clerk.

Went to another shop selling 'Halti' brand head collars. Again, didn't have the proper size in stock.

After that I called around, finally drove to a distant PetSmart franchise that had both 'Halti' and 'Gentle Leader' units in stock. PetSmart price for a medium size 'Gentle Leader' was almost $25. Told the clerk they were being sold online for $12.95; she told me that's where I should go if I wanted one cheaply... I wanted one immediately, so I paid the PetSmart price.

Obviously, a careful shopper would buy online... once you know exactly what size will fit correctly. frown.gif

I bought one for my black lab puppy. I didn't want to use a choker chain on him. It works awesome. I think I paid around 15 bucks at LM fleet.

Another alternative is to use a prong collar. It looks wicked but in actuallity it only tightens up around the neck (without the risk of damage like a choke collar). A couple of sessions with the prong collar and your dog will be walking at your side. Drives me crazy when I see people walking their dogs and the dog is straining at the leash - whos walking who??!

I also use a prong collar on my 15 month old lab and it was a hand me down from the GSP I lost a couple of years ago. Both dogs were/are not allowed out of the yard including at the kennels without the prong collar on.

We have used a Gentle lead on my wife's bassett hound and they are as good as advertised. That dog will choke and cough and gag for the entire walk on a regular collar but behaves like it should with the halter lead on.

Both options work well.

How does one transition away from the use of a gentle or prong collar? To the dog they fell much different then a traditional collar.

The choke chain makes the transition easier but it is definitely also easier to cause harm to the dog.

Why would you transition away? My dog is 3 years old and I still use the prong collar on walks. We see eye to eye better that way.

You're not leaving the prong collar on all the time are you?

marine_man

Quote:

Why would you transition away?

You're not leaving the prong collar on all the time are you?

marine_man

Because in the end I'm lazy and don't want to have to put on another collar all the time. Isn't that the goal to have an obedient dog with or without the training aids?

I went from prong to shock to regular for the transition. Just wondering what others opinions were on the transition from gental or prong to regular collar. Kind of a future note when and if I ever go down that road again.