All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. delcecchi

How to deal with people keeping bass

Gotta be careful to keep the holier than thou attitude under control whatever you decide to do. After all not much difference between bass, northern (looking at you harpooners), walleye, even gills.
  3. Today
  4. Cliff Wagenbach

I have eaten quite a few small mouth bass from Vermilion and a few large mouth bass from other lakes. The smaller small mouth are not bad table fare! The larger fish taste like mud to me! All large mouth taste like mud to me!! If you were to suggest to these fishermen that eating the smaller fish will make a much tastier meal, not to mention a much safer meal because of the contaminant level in larger fish, that may make a difference in what they decide to keep.???? But as you said, they can legally keep them of all sizes. The DNR approach of a size limit would be best! Cliff
  5. Harry Goodliffe

a sign that ASKS people to selective harvest, releasing the bigger fish to keep those better fish genes in the population if you keep fish eat smaller fish...the old bill dance quote "limit your kill not kill your limit.... catch what you can use and release the rest to fight another day"
  6. Wanderer

I respect your conservation minded approach but trying to TELL people not to keep those fish will just get you more of the same response you already got. I also agree <15 inch bass are better keepers. I keep a few myself each year and rarely keep anything over 16, preferring 12’s for the table. I’ve been a bass tournament angler in the past and have also promoted staunch C&R, much like the modern muskie culture, but have grown wiser with age. I still target bass quite a bit just because they’re fun! On a 300 acre lake I agree a small group of anglers can and will have an impact with constant return visits to harvest large fish but the only two things you can do about it is, 1) As mentioned, lobby the DNR for protected slots, and 2) When people are happy to show you their catch, congratulate them and mention you like bass too but find the smaller sized fish much better table fare. And maybe that you also fell releasing the mature fish keeps reproduction up to sustain a quality fishery. And be nice about it. Once you turn people off they’ll stop hearing you. That’s about all I have for ya. Good luck.
  7. Bite was OK for us this weekend. Marked tons of fish but they only seemed to bite in small feeding windows due to abundance of mayfly larva down there. When they decided bite, they were inhaling our leeches though. Rocks next to mud was best for us. Highlight of the weekend was walleye pictured below.
  8. Mike89

Summer ice fishing

I like the idea!!!
  9. Just a heads up to all. Someone has been cutting off the Catalytic convertors on vehicles at the landings on Island Lake Reservoir. Trucks are targeted do to the clearance and ease to get under. They hit several vehicles on Friday morning and were trying to sell the parts at a local scrap yard by 11:30am the same day. It cost me over $500.00 to replace this weekend. Police where notified.
  10. rodbender27

Thank you for your opinion. I respectfully disagree with just standing by, as multiple 3lbs+ bass were shown to me in a livewell this morning coming off of a 300acre lake. Again i completely realize this is a legal choice to make, and at times selective harvest is necessary for maintaining a healthy ecosystem. Where I live in Minnesota, bass are plentiful, but fish of that calliber and bigger are not growing on trees and it takes multiple years to get to maturity. As aforementioned, i am serious about the sport aspect of bass fishing and hate to think of the idea of 10+ yr old fish being taken from lakes of such small size especially. I have personally seen the possibilities catch and release offers as myself and a buddy have caught the same 4lb fish with distinct bird/pike bite marks on 3 separate occasions just this spring/summer alone. Again i do not mean to shame these people for being proud of catching quality fish, just want to find the best way to try to shape their thinking to take a more conservationally responsible approach to fish harvest choices. I appreciate any help i can get
  11. delcecchi

Bass forum

They split FM and HSO. Turned out to be a bad decision in my opinion.
  12. delcecchi

If I were you I would mind my own business. Harvesting bass instead of just annoying them is perfectly legal. You could always write a strongly worded letter to the DNR and your state legislators suggesting special regulations on those lakes that concern you or even a statewide change if you really feel that it is a problem.
  13. Horseshoe_Don

Summer ice fishing

I have 2 large anchors so movement is not a problem as long as the wind is not too heavy which causes a little rocking. The screen was as detailed as it is in winter. As far as fishing went. I was marking a lot of fish but most were cats. I only marked a couple of possible walleyes but no takers, but in fairness I was only testing and was not in my best spot and was only there about 20 minutes. Have to try again later in some of my winter hot spots. Don
  14. Wanderer

Summer ice fishing

That’s what I’m wondering too! Mostly how well you can actually keep your bait in your ducer cone. For a pontoon fisher I can see some pretty cool positives for the setup!
  15. Borch

Summer ice fishing

Now I've seen it all! So how'd it go?
  16. rodbender27

Looking for advice on how to approach/converse with those who choose to keep bass. I have worked at public boat accesses around the metro for a few years now and see anglers taking bass home with them more often than I would care to see. As an avid bass fisherman, I have bias toward complete catch and release on all bass that are caught, however i understand that it is completely legal to harvest bass as long as one is complying with harvesting laws. The big problem for me persoany is when i see people keeping the totally wrong size fish (15"+) if you were to want to keep some. I have struggled in how to go about trying to make people think twice about choosing to keep bass (or at least the larger fish) without making it awkward or seeming like i am shaming them. Would like any input on how I could go about conversing with these people. Any personal accounts would be great, thanks
  17. I have heard the same reports. Good to hear that the walleyes on the West end may be starting to recover! Cliff
  18. jhousenga, The weather was great all week, but not so much for Walleye fishing. But we had an amazing time, great lake, and Pike Bay Resort was awesome for us. We did not make the end to end trip though, our friends had to fly out of town last minute, so we didn't really have a reason to make the long trip to the West end of the lake. Would have been perfect conditions for it though. In hind sight, with the tough fishing, I wish we would have taken a day and made the trip just to see the lake, and maybe try some fishing on the West side. But we covered the East end pretty well, and enjoyed every minute of it.
  19. Spss, We tried both of those areas quite a bit the last week, pretty tough fishing. Didn't even really mark that many fish in those 2 areas. We have much better luck around Raspberry island, but even that was not stellar. Smallmouth got better as the week went on, and one group in our resort said the Northern Pike were getting hot also, if you want to target them in that area.
  20. Made a few modifications to my pontoon. I thought it would interesting to summer ice fish in the same spots I catch all of my winter walleyes. Don
  21. I heard the guides are on to the walleye bite on the west end, finally the fish have returned and it appears there's a few good year classes.
  22. @Tom Sawyer Its not supposed to be that way. Is it?? It stinks when everything else gets in the way of spending some time on the water.
  23. I couldn't agree more Jarrid, modifying the possession/ catch limits would probably help preserve and enhance the fishery. Several years ago when I was still living in the St. Cloud area, there was a lake outside of Albany that a couple of year classes of Croppies came into their own. After the increased pressure of both one hard and the following open water season that lake saw, it was like the Dead Sea after that. Personally, if I find an active school, I won't keep my limit, just enough for a meal with the family.
  24. To call this summer "busy", would be the understatement of the year for me.....
  25. Been out of town for most of my fishing as well. Looking forward to being in the boat around home in the coming weeks. It’s just never for the amount of hours I get on board for the out of town trips. More like 2-4, maybe 6 hours at best here. Never the marathon 12-15 hour days I’ve been blessed to have a few times this season so far. I did just walk down to the river to make a few casts for my evening fix and picked up a 17.5 smallie on a Pop R. That’ll have to do for today.
  1. Load more activity

• Members Online

• barebackjack

barebackjack 2

'we have more fun' I Share On FishingMN
    • Parmer

Parmer 2

• Warrior1890Eagle

Warrior1890Eagle 0

• delcecchi