All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. Any action out on Gull? I have tried a few times and have had some success pulling rapalas but finding areas void of weeds is getting harder and harder. Just curious how others are fairing out there. I am thinking I need to get out there during the day and try small jigs and 3" minnows as that is what have been in the guts of the fish we have cleaned.
  4. I have a buddy that has a cabin on the lake and he will fish the walleyes over deep water and also in the weeds as they seem to relate to both at times. Seems like a hard lake to pattern but he always seems to catch something out there. Good Luck
  5. ...oh and I ran into Fiskynut on the Lake as well as the Point following Striefffs too.
  6. ozzie

Rain

so just curious how is the water situation in the area? the document didn't open and I don't get up in the area as often as I would like but I have heard of quite a few storms roll through the area. I know the sentiment earlier this year was it was gonna take a lot to get things going in the right direction, so has that started to happen or still way below normal? Thanks
  7. Sounds good! I won't be up this weekend but in the future I will look for ya! I am in a couple different boats but a Lund Tyee is what I would be in most often with a 200 merc on the back.
  8. Not to mention that some of these boats had doubles on the biggies, so they could select the heaviest or caught another biggie after tagging one. Our boat did not get a biggie. We had over 24 slots for the day, our biggest was 25".
  9. Women can hike to spectacular views of autumn colors and Lake Superior on the horizon during a three-day fall workshop that teaches a variety of outdoor skills through the Becoming an Outdoors Woman program of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. Getting to that view includes 330 feet of elevation gain on the Superior Hiking Trail – the kind of physical and mental challenge known well to Jo Swanson, trail development director for the Superior Hiking Trail Association and the keynote speaker for the fall workshop. “One of my themes is empowerment – learning to overcome fears of adventuring in the outdoors,” Swanson said. “We live in a culture of fear and people react strongly when women go on outdoors adventures, especially when they go alone. The truth is that with planning and preparation, the outdoors can be a very safe place.” The fall workshop is Friday, Sept. 14, through Sunday, Sept. 16, in a new location this year at Wolf Ridge Environmental Learning Center near Finland, Minn. Attendees will hear from Swanson and Minnesota state park naturalists. Session topics include Ojibwe heritage, Voyageurs, archery, canoeing, and the animals, plants and geology of the North Woods. Linda Bylander, coordinator of the Becoming an Outdoors Woman program, said that along with the new location, the workshop offers a new selection of classes this year. “Women who attend the fall workshop gain a whole range of experiences in a supportive environment,” Bylander said. “We chose dates when the fall colors should provide a beautiful backdrop. The workshop is designed for women ages 18 and up but girls ages 14 to 17 are welcome to attend with parents or guardians. Visit mndnr.gov/bow for more information and to register. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
  10. Quite a strong bite for the Streiffs tourney. I think there were 20 or so over 28", with the biggest weighing 10 3/4. Last year I think there were five overs. The boats were spread all over the lake. Many were fishing the mud, a few were quite shallow and some on the rocks. Most guys spoke of slot fish like crazy......but roughly 1 out of 6 boats having a 28" plus is crazy!! The stage got a bit crowded when the big fish catchers got up there for a picture.
  11. They can go on opener like everyone else does instead of pre-emptively scaring the local ducks out of the area.
  12. Congratulations!. I am sure it's a bittersweet time for you. All the best!
  13. My recollection of Sylvia is it being a nice, clean looking lake that would have nice views. Bass were plentiful when I last fished it but ran pretty small on the weedlines. You had to fish the slop to get better sized bass. Couldn’t tell you a thing about walleyes there. I agree with Tom, Clearwater is a more dynamic fishery.
  14. We had to cut the hooks on one of my fish this year. Caught on a Cisco Kid, 2 of 3 sets of trebles in the fish. Just by how they were twisted, the leverage made removal by pulling very difficult and the fish would thrash when I attempted to work them out. Made the decision pretty easy to cut the hooks. I’m honestly considering going barbless on everything. Half the time the lure shakes free in the net anyway so the pressure is what keeps them buttoned until netted. The plus is if one of us gets one in the hand when working on a netted fish, it won’t hurt so bad getting it out!
  15. Thanks for the feedback. We have the time from hookset to release pretty short I think. I read earlier this spring the average fight these days lasts 90 seconds or less. I’ll admit I was amazed to hear that but after a half dozen muskies that have come to net this year, that’s no bull. We usually have em netted on the first pass by the boat. My 48 inch net allows one to do all the handling in the water while the other gets the bump board laid out and phone ready for a pic. A quick measure and quick pics and back in the water they go. Thats about as much as we can do. 70 degrees is lower than I expected to hear. We were seeing those temps on opening weekend in Ontario. We didn’t like seeing 80 last Friday on Leech.
  16. What do you think of the "cut the hooks" method of dealing with Muskies? Small bolt cutters to make the process fast. Just wondering.
  17. Typically temps over 70 degrees are considered dangerous for handling Muskies. The length of the fight and the time you take handling the fish will make a difference. That is one of the reasons we use heavy line and big rods, you don't want to battle the fish to the death. Skip photos on smaller fish and remove the hooks with the fish in the net, in the water, not on the bottom of the boat. "Ace" "It's just fishing man"
  18. Sylvia would have been my 1st choice, until it recently was discovered to have Stary Stonewart. Pretty devastating invasive. I'd bet Clearwater holds a state record large mouth bass. It also has strong walleye year classes.
  19. I was able to get back out on Leech last Friday the 13th. Had to take a day off work to get some fishin’ in! This time was strictly for muskies but bass and pike showed themselves anyway. The morning waves were still rolling from either the night or Thursday and the lake was rougher than expected at 6 am. The forecast said 0-5 and eventually the wind did calm from the northwest, switch, and then proceed from the southwest. The effect for us was basically almost a 180 degree switch while we were out there and we didn’t see any fish of any size after that. I think the switch was complete by roughly 1 pm. The other thing that raised our eyebrows was the surface water temps. We started seeing high 76’s right away on the main lake but climbed pretty quickly to 78-79 mid day and was topping out at 81 by the afternoon/evening. This made us really want to focus on deeper weeds but weren’t having much luck locating them. We just weren’t in the right part of the lake. But that’s how you learn - by doing. Total muskie count for the day = 2; 1 follow (mid 40 class) and one boated (41.5). The day went SUPER fast for 10 hours of fishing. Black bucktails raised the two for us. I had the follow, my partner caught the fish. The temps had us concerned about the fish but my monster 48 inch net enables us to keep the fish completely in the water until it’s time for a quick measure and pic. Still trying to come to grips on what’s too warm for fishing muskies. This one was on the line for no more than 2 minutes, including the net time before the hooks were out. Maybe another minute to get the phone and board out and glove on for grabbing it up. Less than 1 minute to measure and photo, then back in the drink for an easy resuscitation.
  20. Looking for walleye and bass fishing mostly. I did hear good things about Clearwater Lake. My wife has been looking at houses and her focus landed on West Sylvia. She could care less about the fishing. Have any of you heard good or bad things about Sylvia Lake?
  21. Yesterday
  22. I looked up the Mille lacs hooking mortality study on walleyes and it started to dramatically increase around 65 degrees. About 5% mortality at 65 degrees but about 25% at 75 degrees. I have to imagine the numbers are higher for muskies given an extended fight with a large fish, having to take more care to not get cut up or hooked yourself while unhooking the fish, temptation to take lots of pictures, etc. Here's the study if you're interested http://mnmuskie.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Reeves-and-Bruesewitz-2007_factors-influencing-hooking-mortality-of-walleyes-Mille-Lacs.pdf
  23. Went out the last couple days on Mille lacs, we had no problem finding fish, but the big fish eluded us... We got all sorts of year classes from 11" eyes on up to 24", which is a good sign... That big storm they got must have dirtied the water up, all the fish we found were on the top edge of the flats no matter how bright it was... Rigging leeches and crawlers were the best until we got some waves then the jigging rap was taking all the fish. The fish were stacked up on points of flats and narrow ridges on the flats... We tried pulling lead for a little while, but I've never done it so I had zero confidence in it haha.
  24. DLD I'll keep rigging as long is I can keep catching good fish but entering into August I'll start to pull leadcore more.
  25. Ace, honest question here with no intent to debate, just learning more about muskies. What surface temps do you consider to be too warm for handling muskies?
  26. What are your guys favorite presentations this time of year? When I come up I've mostly rigged.
  27. Thanks Brian, the ratchet straps worked great.... quick, easy and secured it tight. I bought a bunch of big zip ties that it looks like I'll never use.
  28. CigarGuy, cool pic. Looks like a good time/place for a cigar. lol. As far as securing your dock sections, some folks use bailing wire. That’s what I use. Heading down in a few minutes to secure mine before the next storm takes sections away. Man, the water is high!
  1. Load more activity

• Members Online

• CigarGuy

CigarGuy 68

'we have more fun' I Share On FishingMN
    • Antonio Raphael Maenza

Antonio Raphael Maenza 0

• Hoey

Hoey 173

• FishinCT