• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wave Wacker Results

walleyedan

Does anyone know where to check them out? I went to wavewackers., but the page for the results was not found. I was out there today and was curious to see how things went. I hope there were no accidents, nasty wind.

Walleyedan

Hi Dan,

Your a animal if you were out today in those conditions!

Here we go with the Wave Wacker Day 1 results Wave Wacker Day 1 Results

It was very very rough out there today and day two is not suppose to be any better.

Congrats to Tony Nitti and Kirk DeKamp on a great weight today and biggest fish!

I have a number of friends fishing in this and I like to wish the best of luck and play it safe out there guys!

Fish On!!!

Thank you Jim. Looks like some good stuff, but hard to read. It was gnarly to say the least, I hope today is better for them.

Dan

I don't know why they put it in Adobe? Sorry. It looks like they are going to postpone today until tommorrow because of the bad weather today. They are voting on it this morning.

Fish On!!!

Good morning Jim and Dan. I am a big fan of the both of you, you guys are "top shelf" and keep everyone up to date with quality information ! Keep it up ! Dan how do you like that new boat ?? anyway,

THE WAVE WACKER(day 2) HAS BEEN CANCELED. Apparently there is issues with lodging for an additional day, so they are not going on Friday, the tournament is over. One heck of a one day shoot out !! Awesome !!!

GOOD FISHES }<>

Thanks CEDES,

You are correct. The second day has been cancelled.

Congrats to Tony Nitti and Kirk DeCamp on their huge win!!!

Way to go guys!

Fish On!!!

I'll echo Crankers Congratulations to Kirk and Tony. That is a great job and a HUGE win.

Well congrats to those who came in the money, wish it would have been us. I don't want to take anything away from those guys, but I can't believe the tourny wasn't handled better. This isn't a Wednesday night league tourny. Where are the contigency plans? They didn't want to fish Friday because they were worried about lodging, I think people could have found rooms, maybe they would have been a 1/2 hr away, but I think everyone would have been willing to invest $50 more when their already in a grand each. They said one day is fair, what about the second flight that got an extra hour of fishing? With a hundred teams that close an extra hour can make the differnce in thousands of dollars. This morning was beautiful and the weather wasn't coming until this afternoon, why not a half day to even out fishing times. I'm sure next year they will have a blow day set up, but it shouldn't have taken this for them realize it is necessary. Again congrats, if we would've been at the top I'd be on cloud nine regardless of the situation. Sorry to be so negative, but it's one of my favorite weeks of the year and it's a bummer to have it end like this.

That is extremely weak. I cant believe they would have voted on it. They only pay out 35 places so that makes 150 teams or so that are out of teh money. There has to be some very po fisherman out there. Especialy how close it was. There were a ton of boats that would have been in teh running with 5 nice fish and 1 over 28

I know that some of you will disagree with me, but with the weather conditions on this big body of water such as Mille Lacs Lake, saftey is always going to be the #1 concern of any tourney director. I support the decision Bill made.

It is always easier to say after the fact. But with what the weatherman and weather channel was reporting it was the right choice in my opinion. Bill, took the responsibility of every angler's saftey. You have to respect that 100%.

Think about all these boats that would have to have come in to shore in a severe storm with winds that were being reported to be forcasted 30 to 40 mph and gusts even higher with the chance of hail and tornadoes. Sounds like a potential disaster to me.

Even though the winds didn't come till the afternoon hours and the storms went north and south of Mille Lacs Lake, I feel that they made the best decision. The winds in the afternoon were EXTREMLY STRONG! The winds blew so hard that signs and tree limbs blew down. Your safety is always the #1 concern of a tourney director. Its not always about the prize money!

Some things in life are just not in our control and weather is one of them. I would have made the same decision if I was in charge of the tourney.

My suggestion would be to schedule a three day tourney instead of a two day, and then regardless you will have that extra day for weather issues like this one. Then everyone is already scheduled to fish three days and the lodging is in place already. Plus I like the idea of a three day tourney, it really changes your strategy. Just a suggestion.

Fish On!!!

You are 100% correct.

If anyone has been caught in a storm on the Pond knows what your'e talking about.

There is NO Walleye worth your safety / life. There is always another day to fish.

Any new reports??? Heading up tomorrow am.

Thanks

You are 100% correct Jim !! That was the proper decision. I can gaurentee it wasn't reached lightly. I would like to see a 3 day format also.

I agree with Rodmaker,(and have been there on more than one occasion) getting caught in a storm or a blow on the pond is about as scary as it gets. It really brings things into perspective what Mother nature can do to humble the most seasoned veteran. Pull out the spinners and go to the mud Rodmaker, it won't disappoint you grin.gif

I too agree with the decision. This is for the most part a local tourney. There are teams that fish this in 16 foot boats. It is very easy to sit up in the cheap seats and heckle the decision makers. It's not like Bill pulled his decision from his backside. He analyzed the situation and even called the tourney director of the FLW (On Devils Lake) to see what he was doing knowing that 9 times out of 10 that weather hits Mille Lacs. I also believe this was a learning experience and there will be provisions for this situation next year.

still don't agree, if they went by the forecasts it was not to arrive until at least 4pm, they got caught up in what the flw was doing 100's of miles away and the threat of severe weather in the cities. the best call would have been a shortened day, otherwise it needed to be rescheduled. never even a small craft advisory for yesterday unlike the first day they when let us go out. can only hope they learn from the experience and make plans for weather in the future.

So lets get this straight...some teams got an extra hour of fishing on day 1? Wow! How can anyone justify this was this a fair tournament?

Heading up tomorrow. Any colors for spinners. Copper, firetiger???

Rodmaker, info directly off the lake via cell phone. Chartreuse (White perch) is what is working today. My cousin is fishing right now and they just had a triple in the boat so he dropped his phone. They already have 2 limits by 10am. They are fishing out in the middle of nowhere on the gravel. They marked a bunch of fish heading out to their spot, so they stopped and pulled spinners through them and they were all slots. They have fished this school for an hour or so and keep getting fish between 16”-22”. Good luck tomorrow.

Bigeyeguy -

Are you a weatherman? I am sure they did not cancel the tourney on a whim and must have had some good information. I guess they decided that everyone's safety was of greater concern than catching a few fish. It is easy to complain after the fact but they would have had lots of problems if people went out and had trouble because of the weather. I bet if you would have caught a few more fish on the first day you would not be whining.

I do agree with Crankers Points of view! He did do a great job in posting his concern about what happen and politely offering a solution for the future. “But”! A tournament is a tournament, it should have been rescheduled!

I do know if I was lucky enough to get on board or be invited for the WW tourney, I would be very upset in this decision. I would have to say that most; if not all tournament contestants are very well versed in the aspects of Mille Laces Lake. To even approach a lake like Mille Laces for a tournament, you have to have a good point of skill and knowledge on what a big lake can do and when it could happen. This was not a kids soccer tournament, but one of the most prestigious tournaments on Lake Mille Laces. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, should not be coming up now. I would of bet anything they had a plan in place, but knowing now they did not sure strikes a cord among many that maybe this tournament is not well planed out.

I will bet like the other posters stated above, they will have to a rewrite rules list for next year, with new plans for situations like the one that occurred yesterday.

I got an ear full for about an hour last night from a buddy who has been invited back about what happened. It was a close end and he felt he could have got higher on the list if they had rescheduled another day.

I talked today to a guy that was fishing the WW tourny and he went out for awhile yesterday. He said that it wasnt pretty out there and only fished some safer spots and still quit as it was to rough. He said there was water coming over the front of the boat.

Safe-NO.

Harvey we also fished and it wasn't nearly as bad as day one, we didn't fish all day so I can't vouch for the afternoon, but that's the point, there are safe spots to fish if you feel threatened. A little side note I think it's funny that the highschool girls golf championship completed play at Izatys and us big boys couldn't take our boats out. Maybe they should have cancelled it, probablly a lot more shots flying around that couldn't be controlled, hope nobody got hurt. blush.gif Wow, I just reread that, guess I sound bitter. I just hope next year they make plans for this situation if it arises ever again.

Rod -

Great info.! Are they using crawlers or leeches with a spinner?

I would agree that it may have depended where and when you fished. Problem is, if the weather would have hit hard, who knows what might have happened.

Most big money tournaments require you to have a gadget they call a marine band radio, for situations exactly like this. When was the last time we actually had accurate weather forecast that you could hang your hat on?

exactly B420! they don't require one in this tourney, but they should. I'd say majority have them though.

Crawlers are what is working today. I just talked to the guys again and they are one after the other, doubles all day. They said they are jumping in the boat, but they are roaming, and not tight to the structure. My guess is yesterday's wind and waves pushed the bait fish out into no mans land and that is why they are cruising today. They said that almost every fish they marked has hit. They have gone through dozen's of crawlers at 1pm. Weird that this is the first Wave Wacker tournament my cousin has not fished in years. Isn't that how it goes though, when they don't count you can catch them doing anything you want, but when you tournament fishing, you can't buy a bite.