Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tadpoletodd

Leeches

12 posts in this topic

Where's a good place to buy leeches by the pound around the DL area???

I know that the bait store -- D and H Bait I think -- on Highway 10 on the south side of the road between Glyndon and Dilworth may be worth the drive.They have great bait and decent prices.

That is where I go.

Hitman

I am going to be in the area this weekend, what are prices for a pound of leeches? Just trying to figure out if I shoudl buy there or bring them with.

Unfortunately I don't make to Moorhead much and am looking for something more local to DL. I had a guy I've went to for many years by Lake Eunice that did it on the side and sold out of a little shack in his backyard - he gave it up though. frown.gif I would've paid double to keep him doing it. I'm not too fussy about $$$ - just looking for bulk quantities a little closer to home.

John at Quality Bait and Tackle in DL on Washington will sell them to ya...Call his phone and he'll give ya a quote before hand. Good guy. Will also sell minnows by 5 gallon bucket

Hard to find anyone that will sell by the pound any longer. lb prices in FF range from $16 to $20, if you can find someone that traps and sells. This year I trapped my own, cost me $2 for a lb of chicken liver and in two nights with four traps I had over 2 lbs, sweet!

You just pop holes in a coffee can and fill it w/ smelly stuff right? Will any pond do the trick? I imagine some are better than others. I have a 5-acre pond that borders my property. I'll start there.

Sometimes it takes someone else to turn the light bulb on. Thanks! wink.gif

Catch leeches.

Find a pond without fish. Dark bottom surround by cattails works best.

Typical handy man leech trap is as follows:

One empty coffee can with top. Punch holes with 7d nail. Tie rope onto can, I use about 20ft of rope. I use rope so I can do right from shore with knee boots Place about 1/4 lb of chicken liver in can. Best to set out in the evening and check trap at first light.

It is simply amazing how easy it is. I actually use a piece of tin about 2ft square folded as a W pinched tight at the top of the W with the liver place at the bottom of the W groves and cloths pins at the top to hold the W shut.

Do not place traps all in the same area as you may find out one area of the pond has a lot more leeches then another.

Just make sure to set them late and check them early, if you wait to late your bait will go bad in this warm water and the leeches will swin out of the trap before you get there. I know places around where I live where I can buy a pound of Jumbo Leeches for $10 - $14. I've got a lot of friends that trap leeches for a living in the spring and summer. I went with one last week and we got 45 pounds of medium leeches. It's kind of fun, HA HA

it is worth it to trap your own leeches you can make good money i know a guy who makes about 7,000$ a week trapping leeches the only problem when trapping your own is finding someone to by all of them

Deacon, what size are the leeches that you catch? Any extras as I would take some off your hands if so.

WG

WG, try Torgerson on HWY 1 just N of FF. All I have left at this time are medium and only keep a pound or two on hand. Would be glad to help next year. Or if you want I can borrow my traps and show you the way.

Leeches will be spawning during the next couple of weeks and then they die so trapping shuts down.