• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heading up next weekend....hows fishing?

Well gents. myself and a few buddies are headed up for our 2nd annual rainy extravaganza so how's the fishing been? We're staying out of island view so we'll be heading east i.e. cranberry island area. Any insight as to fishing, bait, etc. would be great.

Regards, wallguy wink.gif

Hi Wallguy,

Fishing is good and getting better. Pretty typical for up here in that some people are slaying the fish, and other parties are being darn near skunked. Lots of water as you well know. Plenty of big fish are to be caught shallow while plenty of eaters + are being caught in deeper water. Bring a variety of presentations; spinner rigs, jigs, raps, lindy's... Don't be suprised if your most basic presentions turn the majority of the fish. Things change in a hurry up here as you well know, but thus far there has been a fair amount of good fishing to be had. Hope you have a good trip, and watch for rocks! They'll sneak up on ya!

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can pick up some rainbow minnows on the way up to IF? I will be coming up 35 to 33 and just wondering if there are any bait shops that would have them. Thanks for any info!!!

Hey Scrod,

I fired you off an email earlier. I typically don't use Rainbows when guiding. I personally have found that at times shiners really make a difference over fatheads, but typically have no problem putting fish in the boat with fatheads. Just my experience, but take the extra money you'd pay for rainbows and buy a few more jigs! Ha! Have a great trip buddy!

Just got back from Rainy last night..Had a great week. The weather was a little windy and rainy the last half of the trip but the fish were hungry.

The smallies were fanning out beds and the big girls were all on the points waiting for there cue.

Lot's of fish in the 3-4 lb range my best being 5lb 4 oz.

Mostly caught on jigs and grubs senko's and a few on topwater and jerkbaits

Water temps between 59 and 69 degrees depending on where you are fishing..water is still a little low so be careful!

have fun everyone!

Hey guys,

Great afternoon fishing for the 4 in our group today. We caught around 50 walleyes with the biggest going 24 inches. Beautiful limit of fish! Great fishing with the crew from Rochester! Hope to take you out again soon! Had a great time though my net sure felt heavy at the end of the day! Ha!

Just got back from a week long trip up there. Fished Finlanded, Sag and Marion and had more than enough by the third day laugh.gif. Needless to say as long as the weather permitted we fished on. Most caught on jig and minnow but everything caught something. Best success was following the winds and drifting over the breaks.

I was very surprised to see so many scab fisherman out there. confused.gif A lake of x00,000 acres and people feel they need to follow you everywhere. Just because you see two boats together does not mean they are hammering them. Many groups up there have two or more boats, leave them alone and try to find your own spot. At times I felt like I was back in the cities and that is not something that I was expected to see.

Have fun up there and enjoy the time. It will be over soon enough. smirk.gif Don’t forget to bring plenty of jigs. The rocks love them.

i was up last week and had the same problems..I kept getting cut off everywhere i went..people would run right up 30 yards in front of you and jump right in. I love the lake but the crowd this year was pretty obnoxious

Hey Guys!

I know that it can be a bit frustrating as other fisherman get a bit too close for comfort. I like to try find a pattern and duplicate it if I have a bit too much traffic. I've been on limits of walleyes for the past couple weeks, and have been fortunate enough to be the only boat there. A bit of traffic here is no comparison to some of the other big 6 lakes where you can literally walk boat to boat. Good Fishing Guys!

Unfortunately I know what everyone means. I was on one of my spots towards the east last night and happened to be in the vicinity of a couple houseboats. frown.gif We started in on them and were doing really well. We weren't there an hour and we boated a nice 23"...no more than ten minutes later there were five boats on us. I don't know about you guys, but I think fishing seven boats in an area about 20 yds X 20 yds gets a little rediculous. After the third line tangle I decided to get out of there. The great thing about Rainy Lake is there are more places to fish than you can imagine. We ended up on a spot not too far away that didn't have as many fish, but at least there was no crowd. Please everyone be respectful of other peoples space on the lake.

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!

We will be at Island View starting June 25th. Are you going before that or after that. If after, would appreciate any info you can give us.

Fishman