Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CALVINIST

Cool catch on a crankbait...

27 posts in this topic

I was fishing the Mississippi around the Champlain area yesterday, thrownig a shad rap by some wood. Something banged it really hard. Channel cat, about 17" long. Anybody else ever catch a cat throwing cranks?

Fishing a tournament on the Horeshoe Chain a few years back my partner caught about 20 of them one day during a bass tournament throwing cranks...

I caught one on a Wigglewart once, it hit hard in the middle of the day in 4 fow.

That happens alot when the water is low. They'll also hit spinnerbaits. Nice surprise eh

I have caught bullheads trolling cranks before, and a mt. dew can smirk.gif

Last year in the elk river area I had about a 15 incher nail my mepps spinner...I watched him shoot out of the cover he was in and chase my spinner up to the boat and grab...was pretty cool.

Caught a cat on a daredevle on Minnetonka once.

catch them all the time on cranks got a 15#er once caught a 7# two weeks ago on a crank.

I used to plug for smallies in the Mississippi, from the Coon rapids dam on down to about the Camden area..... Sometimes from shore, sometimes out of my canoe.

My favorite plug was about a 6" gold floating Rapala...I thought it would more imitate a small carp, I used to catch all kinds of stuff on that thing and alot of cats. Even got a small musky once.

Like one of the other posters stated, it seemed I would have better luck nailing the cats on the plugs when the water was low?

I was getting 1/2 to 3/4 pound crappie trolling shad raps on tonka last week.

My buddy and I have each caught flat heads on cranks on The St. Croix. One was 45 # and the other was 32#. Both were in the fall using lead core line, deep.

I have pics of both of them!

Get those nice channels every now and then on the croix trolling cranks, caught a sturgeon on a small huskyjerk last year and that was really weird!

Tunrevir~

I have caught flats up to 30lbs and many 10+ lb channels on cranks (including about a 15lb my last time out). They love them. I found a few years ago that adding a rattle really gets the cats active.

Catfish are flat out the +1 predator in most water where they are found. They will hit anything and fight like crazy.

Last year on the Mississippi near Prescott. 2006_0721_mississippi0003.jpg

Not a cool crankbait story... but kind of a one cool none the less.

I was fishing this morning on an east metro lake from the shore. Targeting bass with a T-rigged senko. Caught a few here and there but on one particular cast I felt a hit... so I set the hook and, Wham! "Got him! I thought to myself. Oooh, this guy is a fighter!"

as I'm reeling this badboy in I see a bright flash of yellow... It was a big ole' sunnie, probably around the 9 inch mark. While setting the hook, I foul hooked him right in his side. Seeing this as I got him up to shore I dropped my pole on the ground and whipped out the needle-nosed pliers and started surgery. I cut the eye off the hook rather than tear him up, and got him back in the water as fast as possible. Fish are certainly biting today. Must be the weather front coming in.

On one occassion I was throwing a cranks into the shallow gravel along the St. Croix and felt a stump hit. I thought I had landed me a fish but when reeling in there was no tug. So I thought I had snagged something. Upon inspection turn out to be a clam that hit my crank bait.

There has been more than a few occasions where clams have attacked my various types of bait. Minnows, leeches, worms etc.

I have caught several clams trolling Rapalas on the Mississippi. Other than that I snagged an anchor rope one time trolling and pulled in an anchor.

I caught this guy on pool 2 the other day

532501986_1c0a9232c3.jpg

over the years I have caught cats on just about everything on the river. Crankbaits, spinnerbaits, jig and craw, and other texas rigged plastics fishing for bass.

i caught about a 5 pound channnel on a tube bass fishing in Flordia

My cool catch on a crankbait was a 7' MH Ugly Stick with an old school spincasting reel. I didn't end up using the reel, but the rod got outfitted with a Pflueger Echelon reel and I use it regularly. Can't argue with getting a new rod/reel combo for half-price tongue.gif.

I guess I didn't catch this one but really snagged it.

Ended up trolling up a break and back down. Would hit up the buttom a little from time to time. Noticed it was pulling a little more then usual.

CIMG0177.jpg

I was on the river again and caught another channel cat on the shad rap, this one 20", and I caught another surprise fish on the same crank. a carp!!! Weird!!! Strange things happen on the river....

Funny this topic is up. I was out fishing this evening in a local area lake and caught a 7 1/2 lb channel cat with a #9 Rapala floater. That was fun! The bass were nailing it as well but they didn't fight like this one did!

I quit a little early today and went down to the river for a few casts. I wasn't using a crank bait, but I did catch a pretty weird fish on a little blue Twister Tail...I got of all things a 12-14 inch Rainbow Trout!

Thick fish as rainbows go and nice and deep. It had all the colors a stream trout has except it was really light. Even the spots were light in color, but the pink strip down it's side was really vivid.

I heard that someone had caught a brown trout out of the river and I think there was a picture of it up in Ebners bait shop for awhile, but a rainbow?

Incidently, a little later, I had on a little white feather jig, got a hard hit and landed a huge catfish on my little ultralite, probably in the 8-10 pound range...what a fight! smile.gif

Quote:

I quit a little early today and went down to the river for a few casts. I wasn't using a crank bait, but I did catch a pretty weird fish on a little blue Twister Tail...I got of all things a 12-14 inch Rainbow Trout! /quote]

Grebe,

Never knew the sippi river had trout in it. Now that's really frickin' weird!