Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hoppe56307

51" muskie caught in brainerd

13 posts in this topic

Check out the Brainerd Dispatch, some kid caught a 51" muskie in the city limits on the river. shocked.gif

The river in town has some tremendous fishing. It doesn't surprise at all. It is really underfished.

Jason Erlandson

The river used to be underfished. It does see plenty of pressure at certain times in recent years. And unfortunately, the musky population has suffered due to a relatively high number of kept fish. Still some great fish in there, no doubt, as evidenced by this one. Luckily the muskies on the river will now have the opportunity to come back a bit now that it's total catch and release.

Congrats to the young man that caught this one. Hopefully she survives so I can find her when she adds a few more inches. But that one has definitely seen her better days.

Aaron

I fish the same stretch of river in which the musky was caught, though usually, on the other bank. What surpises me is that he used a dareevil . . . too expensive for me to get snagged! Congrats!

I've had a lot of beautiful Sunday afternoons all to myself fishing muskies in that stretch of river (including several last summer), so I would tend to agree with it being underfished. The muskie fishing has been great as far as I'm concerned, but it seems like a lot of people get burnt out pretty quickly on fishing it. There are a lot of shallow areas and things to hit with your lower unit.

That was a great catch for the kid, and there are a lot nicer fish in there than that. I personally know of several muskies over fifty inches caught within sight of where he was (in recent years). In the late 80's one was caught right below Laurel Street bridge that weighed 47 pounds (it was brought into Nesheim's). Recently, a legitimate fifty punder was found above the Little Falls dam, and it was mounted by the DNR. The really big ones have always been there, but they are extremely hard to get out (even if you can get the hooks into them). A forty pounder in a lake is nothing compared to a forty pounder in the river that knows how to use the current against you. That kid should be proud. It's a major accomplishment to catch a fity incher, especially out of the river.

I like the estimate on the weight, 35-40lbs!!! You would be lucky to get that thing to tip the scales at 25lbs. I love how they always bring up that its close to a record fish. Congrats to the kid. Must have been a slow day at the Dispatch.

This is cody. Im amazed how many people actually have seen this fish. All i did was go into the dispatch and they put it on in a heartbeat. Ive got few more pics ill post. What are your guys estimates for weight? I really have no clue. Thank for all the kudos.

512.jpg

516.jpg

Typically around a 50" Musky will weigh about 35 lbs. Hard to say for certain without a scale or length and girth, but as a general rule, around 35lbs would be avg for that length fish.

Cody, It's always hard to tell from just a picture, but most of the muskies that length that I have seen weighed out of the river have been between 30 and 35 pounds. It's a really good catch. Thanks for showing the pictures.

Very nice fish. Way to go. cool.gif

Quote:

Typically around a 50" Musky will weigh about 35 lbs. Hard to say for certain without a scale or length and girth, but as a general rule, around 35lbs would be avg for that length fish.

For a 50" musky to come in at 35 lbs, you're talking about a very girthy fish, definitely not the norm. For a 50" fish to top 35 lbs, you're looking at a girth of around 24". Definitely possible, but not common. There really is no "normal" for a musky of those kinds of lengths, they can vary quite a bit.

Cody, congrats on a great catch. Looking at the fish pictured, the thing has a massive head, definitely a big fish. But slightly on the skinny side. I would say you're looking at 30 pounds on the top end. Many people fish all their lives and never get one that big...congrats!

One thing is for certain, fishermen typically overestimate the weights of their fish. Doesn't matter if we're talking muskies, walleyes, pike, bass, crappies, etc.

Aaron

I think a good average weight for a fish around 50 inches is 35#. I have seen 52" fish come in near 50#, granted these were behemoths out of Mille Lacs.

That fish looks like a 30#. Caught in the Fall it would have easily been 35 and maybe close to 40 with the additional weight. That fish is at its lightest right now after spawning out within the last 3 weeks probably.

That's a great fish!!! Enjoy it, you may never come close to it again.

Nice fish Cody I'm still looking for that one, can't break the 45 mark