Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GiantJackpot

Mayfly hatch?

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I read a report a saw something about a possible mayfly hatch? What happens to the lake and what does it do to the fishing? Sorry if this is a elemantary question. Thanks for the info. I will be coming to Rainy on the 13th. Hopefully this won't hurt the fishing

Good Morning Jackpot,

Hatches tend to take place throughout the summer. I always got a kick out of heading to a lake and seeing the "Mayfly" hatch in July. Ha! No question about the fact that when you see the thick scum of mayfly's on the surface that the fish have been really feeding heavy on the hatch for several days. I know that there are a lot of theories on fishing areas with a hatch that has taken place, but I personally will head to a different area on the lake with different water temps, and conditions to not have to deal with these fish. Yes you can make them bite, and a slip bobber with a leech dangled in front of there mouths is a good method. I usually opt to look for more aggressive fish though. I wouldn't be all that concerned with the hatch ruining your fishing trip, but realize you may have to be a bit versatile if this is taking place when your up. The biggest factor in your fishing trip will be storms and big wind direcion changes. Those two factors either tend to shut down fish temporarily with the thunder/lightening, or change feeding locations witht the wind directional changes. Good Fishing!

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get there!

I have found that a lindy rig with about a 1/2 a night crawler works well too. This trolled REALLY slow can often catch those fish that have gorged themselves on flys. As Daze mentioned a slip bobber rig with a leech will work well too. Just as long as its a slow presentation.

But just like Daze, I like to find areas that have not experienced large number of the hatch. Often times this could be areas where wind or current does not allow for the mayflys to stack up in the area. Also areas with a harder bottom are good places to look because myflys hatch in soft muddy bottoms.

Either way you cut it, Mayflys will slow the fishing down, but it won't kill it.

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!