Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
USPENAMC

What semi auto shotgun to buy??

20 posts in this topic

Good morning to all.

these is what im looking for to buy in a gun so i can have kind of an idea at what models to look for and go for

12 gauge semi auto

that can shoot 2 3/4 for doves all the way to 3 or 3 1/2 magnums i will be using it as a do it all tool/weapon so reliability is a big thing. I would like it to be less than 600 bucks or there abouts so any suggestions on models would be appreciated. i will be going to Gander sometime this week once i get some info from you guys /gals, thanks

dave

Well in that price range I'll go with a Rem 11-87. You should have any trouble finding one for $520-$600.

I also have had very good luck with my Stoeger 2000 which is a little bit less expensive at around $400. Both guns will handle the lighter 2 3/4" runs as well as the heavy 3" rounds reliably.

If you spend a little more you might find a Winchester Super X2 for arouond $700. Gander had them for that earlier this season. They'll handle up to 3 1/2" rounds as well. Also very reliable.

Good Luck!

i was looking into either of the following

stoeger 2000

and

Remington SPR453

lets begin the vote i might get one of each. he he

I bougght the spartan before it was a remington and have had nothing but good luck with it.

I'd go with the Remington.

I've got about six different one's and love them all.

Sifty

my dad bought a stoeger 2000 with the wood on it and i put mine on layaway in all black synthetic. still thinking of the remington they just didnt have it in stock

Browning gold! They are awsome, and now you can get them fairly cheap.

Beretta. It's a little more than you want to spend, but you'll never need to buy another gun. I've had a 390 for 10 years and it has performed flawlessly. I have never had it jam and it cycles everything from light trap loads and 3" T/F shot. You can also carry it all day and not feel like you've carried a gun all day (if that makes sense). If your looking for just one gun, you need to check them out.

On our way to SD last fall pheasant hunting we stopped in Fargo and one our guys bought a Stoeger. Not sure of the model but he paid about $400. 28 in barrel, black composite and he even got a couple roosters later that day before he cleaned it. I tore it apart for him and the action is pretty similiar to what Benelli has. Cant remember though if it shot 3 1/2 inch. Good luck in whatever you choose. B-dude

Gander Mountain has been clearencing out the Berretta Extrema (older model) both 3 and 3.5 inch chamber for 765.00 and 799.00. Great option, great gun.

LOW

I'd vote for the Remington. My 1187 has been great!!

they dont have the remington SPR453 in stock does anyone know where they have one in stock to take a look at it i have a stoeger on layaway in gander but might see if i can cancel that one and get an SPR

i would go with the 453,i have been shooting one for about three years and i have had no trouble at all,i have sold around 30 or so in the last two years and everyone really likes them,i sell them for around $425,great gun for that kind of money.Mike

The Stoeger is similar to the Benelli Montefeltro and has the inertial systems, they had some feeding issues early on but have cleaned up the problem. A very good gun for the money.

11-87 is a great shot gun for sit hunting like ducks or turkey but its heavy, I dont have one but heard good things a bought the stoger 2000 its a bit liter. if your doing a lot of walking I would look at a pump. I wouldnt wast your money on a 3.5 they just have more shot not more power look at the spec's on the shell's some of the 2 3/4 are faster. take the money you save and get some Practice.

I have used a stoeger 2000 for the last 2 years the only time it failed me is when i was hunting cattails there was a bunch of fuss in it. a very light gun easy to clean I bought it for $350 with a slug barrow . A hard gun to beat for the money .

I have the 390 and absolutely love it. I have about 12,000 rounds through it with no jams to date. I have 5 friends that have them too and all love them.

I would check out the Beretta 3901s. they are right in your price range. i havent had any experience with them, but they look like they are modeled after the 390, which is an awesome gun.

I know we are talking about semi autos, but has anyone shot the stoeger p-350 pump, I am thinking of purchasing one but would like some input first. I know they come with 5 choke tubes which is nice, and only weigh 7 pounds, but I hear they dont make a slug barrel? anyone have any info on this gun?

Quote:

Good morning to all.

these is what im looking for to buy in a gun so i can have kind of an idea at what models to look for and go for

12 gauge semi auto

that can shoot 2 3/4 for doves all the way to 3 or 3 1/2 magnums i will be using it as a do it all tool/weapon so reliability is a big thing. I would like it to be less than 600 bucks or there abouts so any suggestions on models would be appreciated. i will be going to Gander sometime this week once i get some info from you guys /gals, thanks

dave

Dave, based on your functional requirements you described the Benelli Super Black Eagle. Shoots trap to turkey loads and I got mine to be the 1-gun for life. Based on your budget requirements I'd then suggest the Stoeger for the price. Not sure what model but whatever is closest to the SBE.

Dave shoot me an email phil@multimages.com I would like to talk about a Rem. 11-87.