Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daddyducker

Looking for a Lake.

8 posts in this topic

Looking for a lake within half hour of St.Cloud that has good fishing.

Well, a good mix of fish and decent water clarity.

Walleye and panfish is preferred.

Something with good structure would be good.

Something that can be fished with a smaller boat when there is alittle wind.

Thanks.

Well there is a few to choose from.

1st-The Grand and Pearl Lakes are pretty good for your mix of fish and good water clarity. They are also small enough where there wont be huge white caps.

2-The chain. The chain has some good amount of fish but the water clarity might not be what you hope for.

3- I know your looking for a Lake but the mississippi isnt a bad choice either.

A few lakes meet your criteria. A few I think of right away are Grand Lake and Watab. There are better lakes for walleyes and panfish within 30-40 minutes of St Cloud. But they have water clarity issues during the mid to late summer months.

I guess water clarity isn't as much of a factor... but I would like to be able to eat them.

Is this a problem?

I know the Miss. is a good call however, I don't know that I am quite ready to hit a body of water with current.

I do have a minor phobia of open water if that makes any sense at all.

Love to fish but I'm scared of water...LOL!!

And what is the "Chain" that I've heard so much about?

Where is the Chain located?

Watab?

Grand?

Big Fish Lake is pretty clear and I have always done well for panfish there. I have never fished it for walleye. I like Grand for both and it's also pretty clear. Clearwater isn't very clear, but has excellent fishing for pretty much anything you want to catch.

If ya got a canoe or Paddleboat...I suggest Sagatagan on the Saint John's Campus! You can't beat the panfishing! Clearwater Lake seems to house just about everything...bring the GPS if ya plan on staying out in the night...getting back to the launch can be really fun without the waypoint marked confused.gif

Quote:

I guess water clarity isn't as much of a factor... but I would like to be able to eat them.

Love to fish but I'm scared of water...LOL!!

And what is the "Chain" that I've heard so much about?

Where is the Chain located?

Watab?

Grand?

Then I'd add Rice and Koronis near Paynesville. Also Clearwater near Annandale.

Thw Horseshoe chain is near Cold Spring and Richmond. Watab is between Cold Spring and Avon.

For water clarity big watab is a good bet, lots of structure, Pearl has been dirty as of late, good panfish but walleye's not so much. Grand lake has a good mix bag of fish, but not a lot of structure.