Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Weed Shark

Dad's Old Fly Rods?

6 posts in this topic

I was looking for my late father's fly reel for a trip. Came across two fly rods, they both "look" like wood. I'm merely guessing they are from the 1950's. One is a Phillipson X76 2-piece Dry Fly rod that says "Eponite," it is round. If Eponite is the material it is made of, what is it? (Epoxy and ?)

The other is a hexagonal "Montague Sunbeam," three piece; It must be a handmade bamboo, and worth more. Can anybody tell me what I got here? Kind of a cool find anyway.

Rod #1 is made of fiberglass. The fancy name is just a factory term for their fiberglass material. The Sunbeam is a budget level fly rod from the late 40's or early 50's. You might want to put it in a nice box frame and put it on your wall as your Dad's Rod. Rod number #1 might have some minimal value, but not much. Why not use it?....just for fun. grin.gif

definately cool finds! older fly rods are a lot of fun as they have a much slower action than todays modern rods, especially when you start dealing with glass and bamboo. Go out and give them a whirl, it would be cool to catch a few fish on a rod that is older than you are. smile.gif

Not only older than you, but a rod that your dad caught something on many years ago......how cool and what a way to "reconnect" for a day. Good Luck and have fun.

I think these rods got more fish in 'em. It would be a spiritual experience for me to catch a fish on them. I always thought I'd have a cabin by now (where I could hang the rods, until duty called). Tougher to make a few bucks in this world than I thought.

His grandkids should get to use them, when they're older. Might have to arm wrestle my 6'7" brother over these; I'm the runt of my family (6'5"). Hope nobody snaps them, feeding a worm downstream to a catfish, or something.

Dad was an artist. He made some old home movies of fly-fishing the north shore (with cool, artistic, hand made title cards and stuff). I should get them transferred onto DVD and watch them. These rods would have to be in those films.

definitely get the movies transferred-- it's quite an experience when you can pop in a dvd and watch the old footage..... my mom just did that with a skiing video my grandfather took back around early '60's i think-- could have been late fifties, i dunno..... but regardless, it was on a big old reel and Proex was able to transfer all the footage for a reasonable price..... and set it to music, which was pretty kewl.....

i got to watch it with my whole family this spring and it was special.....