• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Smallmouth & Perch?

Tadpoletodd

My 3 boys are dying to try the smallmouth fishing on Mille Lacs they've been seeing on TV shows periodically. We're heading down this weekend and I'd really appreciate some advice from you guys/gals on where to begin. I'm not asking for hotspots; just advice on what to use for them and some good enough areas to start to keep kids interested and in the game. We'll be launching in the SW corner. Thanks in advance for any help.

Here are some replys from when I asked

Mushroom head jigs from gopher tackle, w/ a 4" grub (color not important as long as it's pumpkin ) Don't be afraid to throw some swim baits like the storm wild-eye's etc, especially later in the summer, they seem to really like the larger baits.

I can't imagine that a tube would not be a wonderful choice as well.

I'm sure a tube would be great; I've never used one up there yet, just because I've been catching them w/ the other baits, but I'm going to give them a try this year.

Green northland jig with a white mister twister grub tail on a straight retrieve always produces on Mille Lacs.

All your typical smallie lures will work on Mille Lacs. I tend to use a lot of plastics. Senko copy lures(I use the Comida) Plastic craws texas rigged... Tubes. Topwater(may be a little early but you may catch a few. Rapala Husky jerks or X-raps. Swim lures like the sassy shad. Spinnerbaits, both r bend and inline. Concentrate on the south and south/east side of the lake and you should find a few. Look for rocks or weed or rocks and weeds.

Quote:

All your typical smallie lures will work on Mille Lacs. I tend to use a lot of plastics. Senko copy lures(I use the Comida) Plastic craws texas rigged... Tubes. Topwater(may be a little early but you may catch a few. Rapala Husky jerks or X-raps. Swim lures like the sassy shad. Spinnerbaits, both r bend and inline. Concentrate on the south and south/east side of the lake and you should find a few. Look for rocks or weed or rocks and weeds.

wow dietz, i guess i should have read this thread b4 posting my where to take the kids thread. you answered it pretty good. i wanna catch some good smallies up there in a couple weeks. my dad caught an 18"er up there last year so he has me for best personal smallie. would like to change that, plus i got some comidas last year and have yet to land anything with them(havent used them much though). you just wacky rig them above the weeds or what.

Senko type worms are what we use 90% of the time. I like the ones with the pumpkin/chartreuse tips on them. Smallies love them in every lake in Minnesota we have fished for them.

bgreen- the comida(senko) is a very versitile bait. Really it can be fished more ways than just about any other lure. I will like you stated wacky rig it with the Gamakatsu finess wide gap hook... 2/0.. I will also rig it like a soft plastic jerk bait on a 3/0 or 4/0 hook weightless... I will also texas rig it with an 1/8 or 1/4 oz sliding worm weight.. and I will carolina rig it... I have also been known to fish it on a nail rig as well...

All of the above will put the small jaws in the boat!

tadpoletodd, I would start shallow around docks and rocky areas to see if they are finishing the spawn. Vibrax inline spinners in #3 or #4 are good search baits. They are easy to cast and will catch multi species. Just make sure they are the ones with hair. If the smallies are not on the docks fish the bouy marked reefs. Look to areas around Malone Island, grassy island, and areas in front of the Scenic overlook. Be sure to try topwater plugs for some arm jolting action.

Thingfish

How far out in the lake are you geneally talking about,if you don't mind me asking. My son's & I are coming up on Wed. for the first time, not sure how far out we'll go. We're staying on the s.e. side so that will help. Thanks for your help. L2f

You can fish the shoreline stuff. Rocks ect. There are some off shore rock bars. But the really nice thing is.. the DNR marks all the really good smallie fishing areas with Hazzard bouys!... wink.gif Serious.. fish the cans and you should find fish!

Dietz is right on the money, just use the DNR rock buoys anywhere on the lake & you should find smallies.

We fished all the "rock" buoys on the south end last Sunday and couldn't get a bite. Not sure if the smallies were out deeper or what.

Could it be possible they were spawning? Do they spawn on the rocks or sand?

We fished most of the rocky points and the entire shoreline between Isle and Wahkon bays. It looked like prime smallie water. We saw a few really nice fish in about 4' of water, but they were spooky and wouldn't hit anything.

To be completely honest, I don't normally fish them this early in the year (I still have my "walleye blinders" on), but I would think that the fish being deeper is a good possiblity. One thing that I can think of that may have an affect is boat position. You said you were seeing some that seemed to spook, maybe you were in a little too close. I've found that I like to try to keep my boat out in 5-6 or more feet, just off the rocks and cast up to them. I might get a chance to chase some this weekend, I'll let you know if I catch anything.

I'm going up for a few days this week. I've found in june the shallow bite is better than the deep. I'm talking 4 feet or less. Sometimes its better in sand or weed than on the rocks. Docks can be awesome in June.

I picked up one in 10' of water trolling a minnow rap --perch color on Sunday evening just outside the smallie bouys. laugh.giflaugh.gif

i will definitely be lookinf for some of these "smallie bouys" this weekend. thanks guys.

Brian,

Did you go to Park? I'm from Cottage Grove originally. If so, what year did you graduate?

I was out for 7 hrs yesterday and only boated 2. Fished from Cove bay to Isle then from Isle up to doe Island. I fished shallow, deep, rocks, weeds, reeds. I fish everything. I did graphed some fish in 8 ft of water but couldnt get them to eat for nothing. Heading back out tomarrow. Hope I dont get beat up again.

Duck

2000 grad. were you a '99. name seems familiar. did you play football?

You might be thinking of my brother Joe, he played football and graduated around 99.

after i posted i remembered it was joe. ya i played football with him.

I fished for 3 hours with a buddy last wednesday. I caught 7 and he got one. The bugs are aweful! Caught all mine on a rattle trap. Fish were scattered yet.