Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jerkin'm

Mille Lacs Rookie Report

4 posts in this topic

Hit ML yesterday a.m. for the first time ever for walleyes. Ended up with a 26", 22", 2-18", and one 10" fish...Really appreciate all the advice on this forum. All fish were from the South end rocks. Unreal rollers for just a 10mph breeze. Good test for the new boat. Got a few smallies up to 18" too...Walleyes were all caught on leeches, LONG snell and red hooks, red bead combo. Some pretty rude crowding out there, thought I was on tonka for a minute..My favorite was the 20 yard circle, followed by the drop anchor a short cast length downwind...

Congratulations on the successful trip. I like it on Mille Lacs when you get the guy that can't anchor his boat in the wind and doesnt do anything about it until he's right on top of you. And I mean your in the front of your boat making sure he doesn't bang against you.

I see something in the line of amazingly rude fishing behavior every year on Mille Lacs. Usually it has something to do with crowding but I saw a new one on Sunday: I saw a "poor man's drift sock" in operation. We were rigging near a boat that was anchored (they happened to be doing pretty well with their bobbers). We were leaving them a wide zone to show good manners. Well, their good bite was too much for this other boat full of three stooges. The stooges pulled in and dropped their anchor within 20 feet of the other boat! It was a smaller anchor that had nearly NO chance of holding the boat. Their boat immediately began to drag the anchor right through the bobber zone of the orignal boat. To their credit, the people in the pre-anchored boat never said a word. Meanwhile, the stooges went about their business, giving up on the bobbers and going back to rigs, with the anchor still out, dragging right through the structure. A perfect "poor man's drift sock". That was enough for us to move to a second spot shortly after seeing this. I'm sure that anchor sounded like fingernails on a blackboard to the walleyes below.

Anyway, it is nice to hear you had a good first outing. My advice (that has served me well) is to fish spots with few other fishermen. Lots of boats usually are a sign of mindless pack fishing and luckily there are enough spots on Mille Lacs to always offer an uncrowded place to fish.

Yep, that's what we did...went past Sloppy Joe's and there were about 10 boats on it..I hate fishing in a group so we found an isolated bar with nobody on it...Well it lasted for about an hour then the circle/anchor guy...followed by about 5 others shortly after...The bite had stopped by the time they showed so we left...You would think someone with a 21ft Triton and "buyawalleyeboat"(Contact Us Please) com stickers in it would show a little courtesy...Nope....The other boats were top of the line rigs as well...so it's not just the schmucks with old rides that do it...I will say that most of the other boats stayed a reasonable distance away...