Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HeavyD

Fishing Report Insula/Thomas/Kawishiwi River

12 posts in this topic

Spent 5/30 - 6/3 chasing eyes and lakers on Insula and Thomas. Had great success evening of 5/30 fishing from campsite in 12 ft. with leeches. Many 16-19 inch eyes and an occasional smallie or rock bass. 5/31 fished the river and had tough time finding active fish. Got a few from the deeper holes below pinches, but once we moved out to the main lake we picked up some dandy 18-20 inch fish for dinner. Jig and minnow worked just as well as twister tails (Gulp!), but the fish were deep and the bite was tough. 6/1 we fished Thomas hard and with high skies and nary a breeze we only boated 6 fish with the largest being 28 inches. What a blast!! I noticed many followers when reeling up and was wondering if anyone had an tricks for triggering these followers to bite. Also, I got plenty of crap from my trip mates, but has anyone ever been bitten off by a loon? I had one keep swimming under the canoe as I would mark it on the Vex everytime it would dive. Then I got the biggest hit of the day followed by no lure (I use 12 lb. Fireline Crystal). My drag was set and there is a chance it was a fish since we had just passed over a huge school of cisco, but that loon came up just after my line went slack and looked at me like he knew something. Anyone think these birds are capable of clipping your line on purpose? Feel free to flame me as I heard it all week after that open-minded thought passed my lips. Top of water was 60 degrees and I think if we would have had a little more wind we could have really had a barn-burner day. But, since it was my bro-in-laws first trip and first ever lake trout we definitely had a blast.

Rest of trip was rain and the fish moved to deep water. Any reports from other up there this past week? Later, HeavyD

Hey, Im leaving tomorrow for Insula. Ive never been to the BWCA. Im trying to make this trip a specific fishing one. Do you have any tips for the walleyes besides what you already posted? We will be heading in on 30, and then going through 1,2,3,4 and into insula. Are there specifics spots I should look for. Im going for the wally's so any help would be great, being Im a first timer!

Thnaks

Here was the various thoughts that went thru our heads as we tried to fish different weather conditions every day: two guys jig with a minnow using different color jigs, another with some plastic, another with a lindy rig and leech. If one of them was picking up more fish then we would have an idea of what was preferred. We caught fish on most everything, but sometimes they seemed to prefer the slowest presentation possible and other times you would catch a suspended fish while trolling to the next spot. I was getting a 4 inch pink gulp twister on a pink thumper jig just hammered on the rain-filled day of 6/2. Twice it was just hanging over the side of the canoe while I was putting my partners fish on the stringer and 18 inchers just slammed it. Our bobber fishing was done mostly from the base camp on Williamson Island and both minnows and leeches on red hooks produced fish. Fish the reefs between Williamson and the campsite to the NW. Lots of fishable water in this grouping of islands. Lost some huge pike too so a nice tough leader may not be bad either. Good luck and please post your results! HeavyD

That's right were I fish and I'll reitorate white split tail twisters with rainbow chubs on 1/4 oz. jig heads.

how were the black flies?

I just got back. Very few black flies, mosquitos were about average, and many wood ticks this year.

Sounds like a blast!

I'm headed in on Snowbank on Tuesday 6/12. Going to spend a night on Ima, one on Alice, one on Insula and a night on one of the numbers (or maybe 2 on Insula). Going to bring leeches, but going to seriously try the Gulp! this time as well. Also will be trying some serious crank trolling.

I've never been on Alice - but I've heard great things.

Forecast is for scattered T-storms all week, so hopefully those will occur at night! I'll post the results when I get back.

Nope, loons are great at what they do & will not pass up an easy meal if the opportunity arises. No way one ever hit your line or lure ( this may be 99.9% ) I believe they must be feeding on the smaller fish that any bait attracts & have far superior fishing eyes than we do. Therefore the common BWCA sight of the loons darting under your canoe is a product of the (loons ) bait fish that you will run up with your presentation as well as the clear, shallow water you are fishing making. The loons head will dart with precision to grab fish, or leeches, or crawdads, or a dozen other critters that are not attached to your line. Very, very rarely will a loon be fooled by the bait you throw at the fish.

My grandpa would answer the same question with the phrase...." If you ever catch a loon, cut the line immediately or get beat to death by its wings "

Thanks Gpa' Lund!

Later- CLoma

Let us know, but the Thomas waters are far more clear than the Kawish. Where did you get snipped?

The shady loon was on Thomas and followed us across the main part of the lake over the 60'-110' transition where the schools of baitfish were congregating. I likely just missed the laker of a lifetime, but better to blame the state bird than bad line. Looking forward to some other reports from that area as I will not be getting back up until next year frown.gif

Heavy D and Casaloma,

Just throwing this out at ya FYI. I number of years ago while fishing a lake North of Aitkin, I had a loon experience.

I was throwing a Mann's stretch -1 in chartruese when I got a follow to the side of the boat by a loon. Thinking it was a freak accident, I casted back out and it followed again trying to stab it. I could feel the ticks.

We got out the camera and I took off the hooks. I kept casting and it kept chasing and stabbing while my buddy took a bunch of pictures. The loon would even swim up to the side of the boat for an attempt at the bait if I just held it out of the water.

One of the weirdest expriences I've had on the water. crazy.gif

I will be making sure my buddies read this since after the now infamous loon episode every time we see one while fishing everyone starts giving me crap all over again. Shoulda just kept my mouth shut, but in that gin clear water they have to be able to see the Power Pro well enough to take a whack at it. There I go again....I have to keep telling myself it was just a giant trout!! Loons are not that smart...or are they? Its not a bad as the time I saw the Sasquatch on Ferne, but some folks won't believe anything unless they see it with their own eyes grin.gif

was out musky fishing this weekend in the cities and had a loon follow right to the boat behing my bucktail. Thought he was going to hit it so i reeled fast and he kept following closer. He just missed it as i pulled it out of the water.

wish i was at Thomas now great lake!

Heavy D,

Sasquatch too?

I think I was bathing on Ferne that day laugh.giflaugh.gif