Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jwhawkridge

Question about 'eyes

8 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever used a three-way swivel for catching walleyes? I've never tried it before. I'm doing some reading and it looks like it could be a good setup.

I have had good success with it at times, especially when fishing the flats on Mille Lacs with spinners and crawlers. For lindy-style fishing, instead of a three-way you can use two swivels. Tie one swivel on a one-foot long dropper line with your weight, then run your line through the other eye or snap of that swivel, tie your second swivel to the line, and tie your leader and hook on the other eye or snap of the second swivel. That way your hook and bait can feed out when a fish bites without resistence. If you are rigging over a soft or somewhat weedy bottom, this can work real well. If there are a lot of rocks, use a lighter line for your dropper line, that way you will only lose your weight if you get badly snagged.

smile.gif

I have used a 3 way rig many times for walleyes, but always while fishing rivers. Works great.

Three ways are effective but I don't use them much. I prefer a bottom bouncer. Often times, adjusting your dropper length can be the difference maker for keeping your presentation in the strike zone.

One question for you guys. When using a 3 way with lindy spinners or live bait rigs, do you guys use a floater on your rigs? Thanks Duane

You can use pretty much any kind of lure/bait with a three-way. I use these all the time and are one of my favorite go to presentations when the fish get spread out a bit and I need to cover some water. My favorite is to run a three hook crawler harness with about a foot drop-line. Speed is usually the ticket to a successful day. Once you figure out the speed they want just repeat again and again.

Is that a legal setup? I thought you could only use one hook or a treble hook in MN?

From the Regs:

Anglers may use only one hook. An artificial lure is considered one

hook. A treble hook, when not part of an artificial lure, is considered

three hooks and is not legal. The exception is three artificial flies may

be used when angling for trout, crappie, sunfish, and rock bass.

A crawler harness is classified as an artificial lure.