Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
use2bwalleyefanatic

Power loss with Minnkota Maxxum 74

6 posts in this topic

Just started having this issue the last two times on the river. The first time the motors power was about half. I thought I had a battery issue so I purchased two new ones (it was time anyway) and the next time I went out after fully charging the batteries the power started out at about 50% and went down hill from there until the motor just stopped. I pulled the motor out of the water and could hear a whining in the lower unit (motor) but the prop would not go round and round. The motor's only 4 years old so I hope it's not shot.

Hard to tell, but I would start by taking the prop off and checking for line wrapped up inside. Sometimes a wad of line will really drag it down.

I had the same issue with you with my Minn Kota 65. I would double check the batteries to make sure they are connected correctly and that the trolling motor is getting the full 24v or 36v (whatever your set-up is). If the trolling motor doesn't get the required voltage the motor will turn on but the prop won't spin. I can't imagine it being anything else. It's probably something that got overlooked.

Rost, thanks for the reply. That was the first thing I checked and there was no line on the prop shaft. I wish the fix would have been that easy. What are the chances I have issues with the brushes or perhaps a short in the windings?

I'll check the connections again when I get home but I'm pretty sure they were correct. You never know, something might have been overlooked.

I think I determined the issue, one of the new batteries is bad. I hooked the motor up to two "good" batteries and found the motor worked as it should. After switching batteries a couple of times I was able to determine the bad one. Sure am glad it was an easy fix.