Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
sparcebag

Ice Road Truckers

sparcebag

This show was talked about 3-4 months ago on Ice fishing post,It will air on History channel Sun.June 17 9PM Looks like a updated verson GOOD SHOW! cool.gif

federline

Dude, thanks for the heads up! Awesome. I've been thinking about this lately, if you can believe that.

ozzie

it is actually a series that begins on the 17th!!!! this should be an interesting show!!

night bite

whats the show all about.

hoggs222

Is this the show about the truckers wayyyyyy up in canada, driving across all the hardwater?

ozzie

the show is about the ice hwy that truckers take to get to small communities in the northern part of Canada that do not have roads to them.....pretty neat to watch and learn about the dangers they cross driving over frozen lakes with the ever changing conditions with cracks and heaves and then to learn what happens when a big rig is doing 40-60 mph across the ice and approaches shore as to the wake they create under the ice can blow up as it hits shore!! Pretty cool to see what resources people use to survive and to learn how these communities survive and get supplies!!

hoggs222

That's what I thought. I've seen a show on this before. I think it was only an hour long though. It looked pretty crazy. I remember one of them going through & the trucks freezing up. Kind of hard to find a mechanic way up there!

Shack

Ozzie,

I thought they went 5-10 mph, or maybe the show I saw was hauling a very large load. I know resort owners on Mille Laces will stop you if you are going over 10 mph, because of the reason you stated.

Are there ice hwy's in northern mn? I thought I heard of them up there. Going to remote resorts, or building them.

P.S.

Thanks for the tip SparceBag cool.gif

ozzie

i haven't seen the original show in about 2 years but you are correct that they need to go a certain speed to avoid blowouts in front of them.....they probably go 40-60 when in the middle of the lake but once they are getting closer to land then they need to slow down because of the heavy load and the wave they are causing.....maybe they don't get going that fast at all but think about how long of a drive that would be to cross great slave lake or any lake for that matter and only going 10 mph....that would take awhile!!!

Wish-I-Were-Fishn

I've read about this and would love to see the show. Dang, I don't get the history channel! I think there is a DVD for sale about this. I will look. I found this info about the show on the web:

"Starting on Sunday, June 17 from 10pm/9c, The History Channel will begin airing a new series called Ice Road Truckers. In what might either elevate or end reality TV, this has got to be one of the more dangerous shows. Following the truckers, the job breaks down as follows. We track 6 men Alex, Rick, Jay, Hugh, T.J. and Drew over two months as they take "vital" supplies over frozen lakes that also happen to be the only roads that can get them to their destination. So where are they going? The show takes place near the Arctic Circle and the trucking industry itself is located outside of Yellowknife in Canada's Northwest Territory. With the diamond industry bringing in $1.9 million dollars a year, they depend on these trucks to bring supplies for their mining purposes."

federline

I read that one of the ice routes is 350 miles?! Thats a long time on the ice. I seem to recall they also use sonar in their trucks.

Not to change the subject, but who has seen "road trains" in the Australian outback? They deal with similar economic and remoteness issues.

roadtrn3.jpg

Kyle Sandberg

Wonder how long it takes to get up to speed?

The Cranker

This is awesome stuff guys!

I read about these guys last winter in Popular Mechanics Magazine.

I wish everyone would have an opportunity to watch this show that ice fishes. Then everyone would understand why the resort owners are always harping on everyone top drive slow n the ice surfaces of the lakes.

Especially the larger lakes like Mille Lacs.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us here on FM! This is great stuff and I will be watching the show.

Fish On!!!

Bobby Bass

Quote:

I've read about this and would love to see the show. Dang, I don't get the history channel! I think there is a DVD for sale about this. I will look. I found this info about the show on the web:

"Starting on Sunday, June 17 from 10pm/9c, The History Channel will begin airing a new series called Ice Road Truckers. In what might either elevate or end reality TV, this has got to be one of the more dangerous shows. Following the truckers, the job breaks down as follows. We track 6 men Alex, Rick, Jay, Hugh, T.J. and Drew over two months as they take "vital" supplies over frozen lakes that also happen to be the only roads that can get them to their destination. So where are they going? The show takes place near the Arctic Circle and the trucking industry itself is located outside of Yellowknife in Canada's Northwest Territory. With the diamond industry bringing in $1.9 million dollars a year, [ it's 1.9 BILLION ]

"

iffwalleyes

I just finished watching it tonight. It is produced by they same people as The Deadlist Catch. It looks like they will have a interesting cast of characters. I am looking foward to watching it.

NWBuck

Good show...I know I'll be watching weekly. Them dudes are NUTS!

Bobby Bass

Will be interesting to see what kind of money these guys take home. If they 10 mil was it? to build a road and they are going to move 10,000 loads on it there has to be some serious money being paid out.

ozzie

they stated that a guy could make a years salary in the 8-10 week season.........so what ever a years salary for a trucker is.......

Down Deep

Reminded me of driving out on Red or LOW.

LMITOUT

$10 million to build the ice road that lasts around 60 days. That's unreal.

iffwalleyes

Sure it is unreal but that when you put it into perspective 10 million for a 365 mile long road is pretty cheap. Plus think of the billions that come out of there in diamonds. 10 million probably isn't jack for them to pay. Plus trucks are the only way to get most of that material into the mines. The thing I can't get over is they start working on the road with 16" and running withing rigs at 28" I guess maybe we aren't so crazy with driving on 12-13" with pickups.

Xplorer

Does anyone know if the first show is going to be replayed this week? I'd like to record it.

Never mind, just saw that it is on again tonight. The DVR will be set smile.gif

TommyJ33

and just think......

they do all that, just cuz guys have to by women rocks to keep them happy. smirk.gif