• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

CROW RIVER

Nice to see other people have caught some bass and eyes. Last year spring when the water was high I took my boat from the Sippi launch and made it to 94. Also caught a pig cat under the 101 bridge before all the construction. I think it went 32" and is my biggest channel cat ever.

I haven't even fish the crow once this year - so I live through you guys. Keep it up - anyone get a 20lb carp out there?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LPCrowRiverFisherman

• Huntin&Fishin

• chickeywing

• EBass

yesterday we caught a 16 inch walleye, and 15 inch smallie. and some small cats.

Lots more pictures. Me and some of my friends went camping Friday night thru Saturday, and the pictures are some of the notable fish and nature. Here are the fish totals.

This is a 6 person total.

Bullhead-13

Carp-17

Catfish-3

Redhorse-1

Sunfish-1

Walleye-2

It was a great fun trip

100_3898.jpg Baby Raccoon

100_3901.jpg 22", 3 LB Catfish, 1st fish of the trip

100_3902.jpg 18", 2 LB Walleye, 2nd fish of trip

100_3903.jpg 15", 1 LB Walleye

100_3907.jpg Both Walleyes before filleting

100_3912.jpg Small Redhorse

100_3916.jpg 17", 1.5 LB, Catfish

100_3920.jpg 17", 1.5 LB Catfish

100_3921.jpg 28", 9.5 LB Carp Biggest of trip

100_3906.jpg Only Sunfish I have ever saw caught in that area of the river.

Both Walleyes were firsts, and the Catfish other than mine was a first.

Hats off to LPC! That's what fishing is all about. Throw some bait out, kick back and chat with friends. Sure, $50k worth of boat and electronics sound nice but, there's never any stress on a river bank.

Thanks for the pics LPC. I checked out your website the other day and have to say I really enjoyed it. I also think its great you have friends who are experiencing the outdoors as well. Keep posting pics. GOOD LUCK FISHING!!

Great morning at the river, It would be even better if the water was a foot higher. 5 Pictures shown below. 23 total fish, 4.5 hours, nightcrawlers, avg. 1 fish every 12 mins.

Fish Total

10 Bullhead

4 Carp, 3 Weighed, Measured, and Pictured. 22", 4.5 LB, 26", 7.5 LB, 28", 8.5 LB

7 Catfish, 5 Weighed, Measured, and Pictured. 15", 1 LB, 2 18", 1.5, and 2 LB, 20", 2.5 LB, 22", 3.5 LB

2 Walleye, 2 Weighed, Measured, and Pictured. 14", 1 LB, 15", 1.25 LB

100_4056.jpg 28", 8.5 LB Carp

100_4055.jpg 20", 2.5 LB Catfish

100_4058.jpg 22", 3.5 LB Catfish

100_4051.jpg 15", 1.25 LB Walleye

100_4057.jpg 14", 1 LB Walleye

Went back again later in the afternoon, with a couple friends, got a surprise. This time we got him in, and unhooked him without snapping the line. I have to estimate it to be a 15-20 LB Snapper.

100_4062.jpg

You have been doing great down their. Nice fish and turtle. Last year we caught alot of spiny softshell turtles, thats their name. Weird lookin things.

what road are yah on criverfisherman ... my buddy lives in lester but doesnt know what part of the river to fish

Had some luck today, nothing like yesterday, I did get another Walleye, 14", 1 LB. Also a little smaller snapper than yesterday, and a good sized painted turtle.

chuckwagon, I can tell you the road, but not the spot. County Road 1 then on to Babcock.

I'll tell you there are a lot of turtles in my spot now, we hooked into snappers about 5 times today but only got it in once and it was mine, and I was the only one to get a painted.

100_4086.jpg

100_4081.jpg

100_4087.jpg

LP nice pic,nice bend,But whats the depth there? is the deepest hole around?

It's the deepest area with natural structure, and is thigh to waist deep on me. There is a deeper spot, and I have to estimate it to have water up to my chest but I wouldn't check. Very little cover in that area, but it does hold a few fish, It's right in the area of my big catfish, and 2 of the 5 walleyes this year but that was earlier.

LP:

6 days without a post? Are you alive? Are you up for a new tactic on the river? Try a 4-5" live sucker on a 1/4 or 3/8 yellow jig head. Let it sit on the bottom at the head of the hole. Around Rockford, the cats go nuts on this trick when the water gets this hot.

TC

How quick they bite on that? I found a couple more deep holes. I am also doing something new, use a nightcrawler, catch a bullhead under 7 inches, cut off the meat the guts, use that and anything else that you can put on the hook. This Tues. and Wed. got lots of decent Channels for the water level. How deep is it up there, because the deepest spot that I've found is about waist deep other than under the bridge. The fishing would be amazing if it was a foot or two deeper. Last Picture Is Stringer From Wednesday. There are 6 on the stringer but we kept only 3, all still living during pictures. The 3 released swam away no problem.

From Smallest to Biggest

1. 18", 2 LBS

2. 19", 2 LBS

3. 21", 2.5 LBS

4. 21", 3 LBS

5. 22", 3 LBS

6. 22", 3 LBS

7. 22", 3.5 LBS

8. 22", 3.5 LBS

9. 24", 4.5 LBS

10. 24", 4.5 LBS

11. 27", 7 LBS

100_4126.jpg

100_4109.jpg

100_4113.jpg

100_4115.jpg

100_4108.jpg

100_4116.jpg

100_4107.jpg

100_4128.jpg

100_4112.jpg

100_4134.jpg

100_4111.jpg

100_4132.jpg

Usually only takes a couple of minutes. It seems to target the most active fish. If you're not paying attention, they will take the rod swimming. I haven't been on the river since opener. Over the last couple of years, the water level didn't seem to matter. Just the temp.

Hey, "LPCatman" I'm an avid fisherman of the crow also, although mainly cat's and smallmouth. I've pulled out a number of 10+lb cats in the holes i fish. We should pick each others brains sometime. It's always nice to see a few other people who love the Crow as much as i do. Do you ever fish evenings?

I really enjoy your posts LPCRF. Thats what it is all about, you, some friends, and catching fish and having fun doing it. I fished the crow on saturday for about 2 hrs and caught 2-3 dozen channels. Mostly small but it was fun! Keep the posts coming.

It has become a daily occurrence to check in on this thread.

Question:

Is it safe to eat fish taken from the lower Crow River? I live in the St Michael area, the river sure is dark in this area.

Just got back from vacation up at Rainy Lake, and am settling down. I won't be out fishing tomorrow but should be on Thursday. The fish in the River are pretty good I thought and I haven't gotten sick. Also I do fish evenings just not as often as mornings.

Also Rainy Lake is pretty slow for Walleyes right now. I caught 2 in 5 days and 1 I wasn't even going for them. They were both small too, 8-10". There are some nice Perch on the lake though.

Quote:

I fished the crow on saturday for about 2 hrs and caught 2-3 dozen channels. Mostly small but it was fun! Keep the posts coming.

2-3 dozen in a couple hours is some fantastic fishing! Did you have to move around a lot to get those numbers or just 1 spot? What were that biting on?

I fished 1 spot. Actually I was fishing for bullheads with crawlers and kept catching cats. It was fun.

The question about if it's okay to eat lower Crow fish, i heard it's not okay in a few part of the river due to waste water dumping in a few spots (where i have no idea). I eat only young cats, and smaller smallmouth out of there due to shallow waters and it running right up to farmlands also. I really love the taste of fish, and i just really don't want to ruin it, due to illness. But remove the bloodline good and you'll have no problem..

The Bullhead Cutbait works well for the Channels but would anything work better. Today was kind of slow with only 2 Catfish, but they were decent size, 23" and 24".

Fish 1 24"

Fish 2 23"

100_4236.jpg

100_4247.jpg

Fishing has been slow lately but that was expected. There has been a couple decent Cats and one nice Carp. I had a Walleye Tues. morning and there is a story to it. I was fishing for bullheads to use for bait before my friends made it to the river and then I got snagged then I pulled back and it came off and the reason it came off was because a fish bit it and I pulled it and it was a decent fish, I got it up and saw it was a Walleye. I got it in and was about to grab it and it spit the hook. It must have been a 16-17" long Walleye. That was the first Walleye I lost all year. That made me angry.

Here's some pics.

100_4255.jpg 19", 2 LB Catfish

100_4260.jpg 21", 3 LB Catfish Caught by friend

100_4261.jpg 25", 7 LB Carp Caught by friend

100_4257.jpg Large Spider, not very good picture, but maybe someone would know which kind.

...and the vast majority has been CPR, right??!!!

Nice summer!

Have you noticed any with traces of being hooked before?