Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LABS4ME

5/31 - 6/1 report...

7 posts in this topic

Walleye fishing still remains strong. The usual spots are still getting hit hard. Most spots on the lake produced walleye in the 4-6' depths. Find the gravel at around 5' and the fish came easy. Jigs did well, but a 1/8 oz. lindy rig with a 15"-24" snell and colored hook was irresistable! Tail hooking the minnows really seemed to to turn them on. The keepers were harder to find. About 1 in 10 fell in the 'keeper' slot. When we finished our walleyes, we left them alone and we concentrated on crappies... Well we tried anyways...

We fished all along the north shore and ended up with 2. We caught countless Sheepshead. They do put up a great fight and would be a ball for youngsters to catch one 2-3 lb fish after another. If you're looking for a ton of action to entertain yourself and/or your kids, consider these! Plus you can surprise yourself and keep a few to eat... they are pretty darn good. They are close cousins to saltwater Redfish and they are sought after table fare. Just fillet out the lateral line and the belly meat. I keep the back strap and the back half of the fillet. I use Redfish Magic seasoning on them and blacken them in a cast iron skillet and they disappear faster than the pan fried panfish fillets. Westwind's resort filleted off backstraps off of a number of Sheepshead and cut them into nuggets and deep fied them up and served them to their customers as a fun appetizer... Nobody beleieved they were sheepshead...! Also we had Westwind's do there walleye meal for us Thursday night... bring in your fillets and they cook them up with potatoe, soup and roll... darn tasty and no dishes!

As typical we got a dandy pike on light tackle... my buddy was jiggng a 1/4 oz. jig with a small fathead and 6lb. line and came upon this...

P5310288.jpg

I've been to Northern Canada 3 times with this friend to chase big pike and I gave him grief we can just do it at home and save some money!!! She's back in the lake ready for the next kid with a snoopy pole!!!

Good Luck!

Ken

They might eat ok but how do you get that stink off your hands??

Little soap and water... It ain't gonna hurt ya'...

Good Luck!

Ken

After seeing the picture is anyone else juuuuuuuuuuuuust a little jealous or is it just me??????

Why get the aroma off your hands. It smells better than flowers in springtime.

That's a great report - thanks for taking the time to share!

10 of us camped at Mort's for our annual open water Red lake trip over the weekend. We ended the trip with limits of walleyes and 85 crappies for a few hours of fishing on Friday and most of Saturday. The weather was great all weekend with just a few drops of rain to speak of!!!

Great report to read. 6 days and I will be leaving for a few great days on Red with Jonny. cool.gif