Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brittman

Local DNR Pond... too cool today ........

6 posts in this topic

I took my five year old to the local DNR pond. We were catching little sunnies left and right. We could see the bait below the bobber and the sunfish moving at the bait.

He was learning .... it gets better.

So he is "teasing" three sunnies with his worm and below them you see a nice northern rise out of the cabbage. The northern pauses and then rockets up and takes a small sunfish.

Boy I wonder why the fish stopped biting.

that is great!!! What an intro to fishing for the little guy. I can't wait till mine is old enough to get out w/ me

Wow what fun. I remember casting my first Mepps spinner with my dad when I was 6 years old. I caught a little hammer handle that looked like a tarpon from my perspective. I'll never forget it. Now my wife is pregnant with our first. Can't wait to take the little bugger fishing....

I've heard of these DNR ponds, but what are they? Not rearing ponds for fish, cause then they wouldn't let you fish em? If they have some big pike in em, I might have to grab a couple of daredevils and my baitcaster, and head over there, lol.

I think they are talking about the FIN program(Fishing in the nieghborhood). It's a bunch of ponds and lakes in the metro that are managed by the DNR mainly with catchable sized crappies and sunfish. There are other opportunities in these waters as well. Nice largemouth and pike can be found in some of these spots naturally, and even channel cats, smallies, and walleye are stocked in a few of these lakes/ponds. I usually cast for largemouth in the (FIN)pond in my neighborhood, but most of the time I'm busy helping my 4 year old take bluegills and crappies off the hook.

There is a pond on the southside that I have pulled in 3 tiger ski's last year. Have a buddy who lives across the street and usually we throw a few casts for bass when we nothing else to do. From what I've seent they've hit usually under the right conditions and at night on topwater buzzers. Biggest one was 39.5", very chunky too. All just caught n release.