Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
esox49

Which color pattern for new shotgun ?

8 posts in this topic

I plan on getting my new Benelli this fall and was wondering what color pattern to get? I will only use the gun for pheasant hunting AND turkey hunting! Can I go wrong with just the synthetic black, or do I need a camo pattern? I need help with this! What are your thoughts?

Thanks!!

You'll most likely be fine with black, but the camo is nice if you get the chance. Really, with guns, it's somewhat of a non-issue IMO, as by the time the bird is close enough to truly study your gun (except for the ones with glare), he should be flopping anyway. I like the camo on mine because I use it so much for turkey hunting, but I'd put the money into better sighting or a model upgrade before the spendy camo dip.....esp. if it'll be a pheasant gun for you. That said, if you're not concerned with the price, I'd definitely go camo.

Guns with a shiny finish, esp. upland over-unders, that's a different story altogether. Every facet, nook, and cranny on those things has a shine to it.

Joel

I agree with Joel. Flat, no-gloss black is fine.

For several years I taped my gun. Good gracious, what a pain in the glutes that was. This year I used a camo dipped gun (only because the wife bought it for me for my birthday). It's one for one now, but I don't think the fact that it was camo had anything to do with it.

I use an 870 with replacement synthetic camo stocks, got them from Cabelas and put them on myself. Because I use the same gun for waterfowl, it is nice to have and was not very expensive.

Let's sum er up with a little poem:

No shine,

You're fine!

Just be careful with those camo guns. If you lean it up against a tree and walk away they can be hard to find when you go back looking for them. Just ask elevator guy. smile.gif

I use a gun sock. Get two, one for fall and one for Spring.

I agree with the other guys. Black is fine if its flat. Mossy Oak Breakup is a good turkey pattern.