Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
baldav

First Timer Trip to Kab begins tomorrow

baldav

Can hardly wait to get going. This will be my first trip to the area. Will be staying at VPL and hope that they (Casey?) will be able to put me on some fish (walleye). Hope to report on my success throughout the week as I believe the lodge has an internet connection.

From what I've gathered so far, minnow and jig on humps and sunken islands in 15-20 FOW and rigging with a leech in the sand in 10-20 FOW. Any corrections or additional tips would be appreciated.

Hope to post a report of success on Sunday evening. Thanks to everyone for their contributions to this board!

guts

balday, I guess I'm on a differnet frequency than your informat, harvest size fish are coming out of deeper water, like 35' and deeper, jig and minnow, leeches just turnin on.

One of the best bites has been shallow water, 4-12' pitch a jig, 1/8 to a 1/4 and jerk it back to the boat so it bottom hops, most folks using minnows, double hooked slow retrieve and its been workin good. Was a good bite on white beetlespins, and XR10 x-raps, shallow as well. good luck, guts

SquirrelBait

Guts, What do you mean buy double hooked on your minnows? Do you fish with dead minnows?

baldav

Guts, thanks for the clarification. Indeed we did find bigger fish in the shallower water (4-5 FOW). Got started a bit late when my sonar unit decided to go on the fritz. First the lakemaster chip didn't register, then the whole screen went blank. The afternoon brought more frustration surrounding my sonar/gps unit but we did manage one keeper for the freezer in 25 fow.

Not sure where I'll end up fishing over the next couple days, plans sure change when you're on a unknown remote body of water without the electronics that you're so dependent on. Makes me wonder what they did 50 years ago to catch fish.

guts

Squirrelbait, double hooking a minnow, at least fatheads or rainbows, the hook goes through the mouth, out the gill and then back through the minnows body. When using jigs, I get the jigs with no collar/shank. Surprisingly it doesn't kill the minnow, and it tends to snag less in shallow water or weeds. The minnow will stay on cast after cast.

balday, as of yeasterday, they are still catchin g fish in the shallows. Tom Cod, bittersweet, cemetery island, three sisters and etc on the West end. guts

SquirrelBait

Guts, Ive never heard of hooking a minnow like that. What a great Idea! It seems it would also combat the short bite and replace a stinger hook! Thanks!

baldav

To wrap up this post... Had a great time at Voyageur Park Lodge on Lake Kabetogama. Casey was an excellent host who was able to help point us in the right direction for walleyes. We'll be coming back next year for sure.

I mentioned earlier that my new sonar/gps unit went on the fritz at the start of the trip. I bought the unit from Reeds at the Northwest Sports Show and they were able to overnight a new replacment. With that kind of customer service I'll be shoping at Reeds again.

I was very impressed with the Kab fishery. You know things are good when you find yourself complaining about too big of fish. Also, there is so much structure across the lake there's always an opportunity to find a new "hot spot".

Looking forward to coming back next year. Thanks to the posters for their tips on this forum!