Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gunderson21

HELP

11 posts in this topic

I am an avid fisherman but am new to the game of flatheads on the river without a boat. I have yet to catch a flathead and have been trying in the mankato area. I know they like holes and live bait. I have been using a 3way with a medium sucker with a 2oz weight. Is there any areas in the mankato area that are really good for flats from shore? I have been concentrating in the land of memories area... What am I doing wrong? will these medium suckers work or do I have to have chubs or shad if so where do I get them? To all of you that are veterans to the game could ya help me out here. I just want to reel in one of these hogs and of course release it after a pic or two.

I'd switch the 3 way rig to a sliding weight so they can take the bait with no resistance while set on free spool or open bail,and go bullheads,larger suckers. cool.gif

Thank You.. where do I find the bullheads to use and also does anyone know what areas to target?? I have heard land of memories but everytime out there we never see anyone get much and we have limited success on larger fish (we catch sheephead and half pound cats) any info would be apprecaited. thanks

Good spot!

Fish later, untill 2 am.

Bigger bait, if your catching a sheephead or 1/2 lb cats, your bait is way to small, get yourself some 8-12 in suckers, or crick chubs. Bullheads will work good also, state law says 7" max on bullheads.

Sit back and drink a couple beers, and wait for the pole to bend!

Good luck!

when hooking are you guys going through the lips like walleye fishing (lindy)so it will swim smoothly or across the back like bobber. Also I know people vary on the hooks used but is a wide gap or circle preffered. thanks guys

I will hook them in a couple different ways, I will hook them through the lip, for shallow water fishing, night on the sand bars. Through the back sitting in a boat in deep water, or through the middle of their tail adout a half inch up, they swim more freely this way!

Some use circles and some octupos hooks. I would hook them through the back but I have also hooked them through the mouth. I prefer the back. I have used circles and have my best luck if I just leave it in the rod holder until there is no doubt that the fish is on. I will even light a smoke after it looks like I have a fish on and smoke half of it first before I pick the rod up. Give it time with the circle and let the fish take it. Also, dont set the hook.

I'm learning that the longer I let it go with a circle, the better off I will be.

I am guessing you guys are using 3-4 foot snells to allow the minnow to swim correct me if I am wrong... how deep of sand bars should I lok for in the evening?? I know a spot that has a 15 foot wide sand bar that extends out in to the river like 40yards with I am guessing half way deep water around it... is this considered a good spot or do any of you guys know of an area in the mankato area that produces fish in the morning and evening?? thanks for the help

you'll find out quickly that nobody will give you an exact spot. read all the posts and you will learn by descriptions of areas, what you should look for. there is a lot of information on here and alot of experienced fishermen that will give advice. if you are free the 16th come to the kato cat gathering and pick some brains. it will be helpful for any newcomer and veteran alike.

I would recommend that you go back and read many of the old posts in both this forum and the catfish forum. You will get many of your questions answered as well as a lot of light shed on things that may have crossed your mind but never thought to ask. Trying to get a crash course in cat-fishing and all its possible variables, scenarios, locations ect.....is like trying to get a drivers licence in 15 min.

There is no fast track, and for many of us it take years to get the swing of it. And even then you still feel like you wish you knew more.

Do some research, it will help you understand, and also make it easier to pin point the question you want to ask and easier for us to give you a more detailed answer.

Good luck fishing.

Quote:

I would recommend that you go back and read many of the old posts in both this forum and the catfish forum. You will get many of your questions answered as well as a lot of light shed on things that may have crossed your mind but never thought to ask. Trying to get a crash course in cat-fishing and all its possible variables, scenarios, locations ect.....is like trying to get a drivers licence in 15 min.

There is no fast track, and for many of us it take years to get the swing of it. And even then you still feel like you wish you knew more.

Do some research, it will help you understand, and also make it easier to pin point the question you want to ask and easier for us to give you a more detailed answer.

Good luck fishing.

Ditto...couldn't have said it better