• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Alexander, Shamineau how's the bite?

My family has some land up north of Randall. Just wondering how the bite has been for walleyes and panfish.I am starting to get into small mouth fishing, any hints to where to try would be greatly appreciated cool.gif

If you're talking about Daytime... Don't bother chasing Walleyes up there...

If you're looking for Pan fish action... The Hottest bite is kind of just slowing into normal summer now... But like anytime if you find a weedline you'll find sunnies, and sort for table fare.

Smallie wise... Best I've found has been to anchor up on a rock pile and verticle jig... Or if you're more of a long lining guy... Troll or drift over the piles.

Sorry im so late in posting this, been prety busy. Just to let anyone know, if your planning on fishing Alex in the next 2 weeks. They sprayed for milfoyal on Wen. The stuff they use lasts up to 2 weeks. If I remember rite from last year. The fish moved out of all the areas they sprayed for a good 2 weeks. Also, not all the spots are marked that they sprayed. Only the places by houses are marked.Hay Stack island, Crow Island, the hole east shore swinging around to the north shore all the way to Ogema Point, Headleys Bay and the west side of Soldier Island have all been sprayed but some of the spots are not posted by DNR. There alot of other spots to fish and always open water to think about. Good Luck

Just a heads up.

Now heading to Cedar for opener.

Duck

As a general rule I agree Alex is not a day time bite for eyes, but this past Fri/Sat, we worked it hard from 3pm to 7PM, and we caught 3 of Fri (14-19), and 2 on Sat (16-20). Evening, 9PM to 3AM, caught a few small ones (9-12), and a couple hogs, 27 & 29.5 that went back. Fishing leeches w/slip bobber in 16-20' We also caught numerous sunnies, rock bass, largemouth and smallies. We were using cranks, crawlers, minnows, leeches. We were west of Soldier Island.

was on alex last night from about 5 till 9 saw 6 ski's and had one small one hooked up 12-14 pounds. Saw lots of smallie beds but all were empty. sunfish everywhere on the inside weedline. That's my report.

I didn't get the chance to get out this weekend... But I was in the area and I took the opportunity to check out the bible camp renovation turned Lake community association...

Nice place... But prices were too high for what you get IMO.

Quote:

I didn't get the chance to get out this weekend... But I was in the area and I took the opportunity to check out the bible camp renovation turned Lake community association...

Nice place... But prices were too high for what you get IMO.

Is that on Alex or Shamineau?

Got out to Alexander this weekend... Between my buddy and I we had 3 Musky Follows around those weed islands west of Soldier island.

A May Fly hatch of EPIC proportions overtook the lake on Saturday... Still managed 3 eater Walleyes trolling around the west end...

Though there were way too many guys trolling with their loud two strokes during prime time

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates on eyes or skis? Just wondering if there is a bite.

Was out 6/30 chasing skis from 11AM-8PM and didn't see a one. The weather was awesome though and sure that had a lot to do with it. Sun, no wind, and no clouds. Ohhh well. Was up there two weekends ago and had 6 follows, so they are up there and can be active!

Alex sucks right now!!!! They sprayed the milfoil again so the fish are out deep. All the fish ive seen the last 2 weeks have been in 30-40 FOW using topwater lures. Im never fishing that lake again until they stop spraying the weeds!!!!

I was out on Friday... Fished through into the night...

Deadest I've ever seen the bite...

Got an arm load of rock bass... And strangely... Clouds turned the night ink black... But I picked up one heck of a thick backed pike.

Heading up tomorrow night for the holiday weekend...how's the water temp?

So between the water temps, and the recent spraying, it's probably best to turn your attention towards Mille Lacs in terms of Muskie fishing, eh?

Quote:

Heading up tomorrow night for the holiday weekend...how's the water temp?

I was playing around with some of my features and turned the temp sensor off... So I don't have an exact reading... But based on washing my hands in the lake... I'd say it's in the mid 70's.

I'm going up on Friday night for some night fishing, so we'll see if things are turning around yet!

Got out on Alex this weekend...

Bite is as dead as I've ever seen it... Just... Shockingly bad...

A couple of smallies around Hay Stack... And the rest of the time was friggin' rock bass... Even ran deep into the night waiting on moon rise... Rock Bass...

Don't know if it's the spraying or what...

But I think it's time for me to find a new lake to fish.

I believe that the slowdown on lakes like Alex and Gull is due to the sheer amount of pleasure boating and jet skis running the shallows and sending the fish deep. Not only that but there are so many weeds floating on the surface(from boats running back and forth through the shallows)that you cant troll or cast without fouling constantly. this is a good time of the year to check out smaller quiet lakes like....Bass lake? Or fish on a tues or a wed.

Quote:

I believe that the slowdown on lakes like Alex and Gull is due to the sheer amount of pleasure boating and jet skis running the shallows and sending the fish deep. Not only that but there are so many weeds floating on the surface(from boats running back and forth through the shallows)that you cant troll or cast without fouling constantly. this is a good time of the year to check out smaller quiet lakes like....Bass lake? Or fish on a tues or a wed.

While there was a bit of a pleasure boating going on... I've seen it much worse, and still have better bites... Especially out deep...

Sure there were weeds chopped on the surface a bit... But manageable.

Maybe it's time to turn to Mille Lacs... Ought to be pretty empty out there with the new slot!

LOL!

Was out Tues - Sat last week, and I agree with Dances...it was DEAD out there. We also caught nothing but sunnies and rock bass when fishing at night.

The pleasure boating was pretty crazy though, so that's what I am blaming it on. It certainly wasn't me! grin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the evening out on the lake two night ago and didn't see squat. Went back this morning and did much better. I boated a 40"er on a Suick and my wife had a 44-45"er smoke her bucktail, but lost it at the boat. Had two more strikes, but didn't get any hooks into them. Hopefully this is the start of a turn around. Going back out tomorrow morning for some pre-frontal fishing to see what we can hook into!

Musky 18 I will prolly be out tomorrow am, black pro v stop and say hi.

dan

Hey muskie and dano, how was it. I wanted to get out there this am and it didn't work out.

I thought it was slow, the only one I saw was on the end of my line a good looking low 40's fish, h2o release. I talked with a couple of other guys and most didn't see fish.

if you go out good luck,

dano

We fished until the weather ran us off the lake. Musky action wasn't the hottest I have seen. We boated one Musky that was right at 40, had one bigger fish follow, and I had to blow up on my Jackpot but both missed. Did manage to hook 6 hammer handles and two bass however!

Dano....think I saw you out on the water. Didn't read this board until right now or I would have stopped by. I am running a black Lund Explorer with an Opti on the back. I am sure we will see each other out there again.