Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1forwalleye

Aitkin/BSL Panfish?

5 posts in this topic

I have never fished Aitkin Lake before and was wondering how the lake is for panfish? Any suggestions as to where to start? I have three young nieces visiting in a week who want to catch some sunfish. From the DNR report there doesn not appear to much in Big Sandy Lake. Thanks for any help or advice.

I have very good luck on Aitkin. I won't give up my spot but its very near an 'island' smile.gif

Aitkin does have some nice panfish in it, but they can be hard to find especially this early in the year. Once the weedline grows you can find them on the edge of the break in around 10fow.

I went up there 3 weeks ago and only located a couple little perch, hopefully you'll have better luck.

I'd recommend fishing with panfish leeches, they work the best for us. Worst case - grab a 1/2 dozen small suckers and throw them out with a bobber, the lake has a few nice size northerns.

Good luck.

Quote:

I have never fished Aitkin Lake before and was wondering how the lake is for panfish? Any suggestions as to where to start? I have three young nieces visiting in a week who want to catch some sunfish. From the DNR report there doesn not appear to much in Big Sandy Lake. Thanks for any help or advice.

You'd be better off fishing the culvert in Bill Horn

or over by the dam.

I know guys getting gills there now.

I'm letting the cat outta the bag you know.

I got beat up last winter with the crappie info.

Here I go again,

Good luck.

I hope you get those youngsters into some fish.

thanks for the tips. i really appreciate it.