Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishinggal

crappies(lake zumbro)

3 posts in this topic

Whats the crappies been hitting on,and any good spots on lake zumbro to catch some.Havent seen a one yet this year.

Awe, the infamous crappie search…

At this point in the season, we have just past the peak of the crappie spawn. Last time I was out the fish have migrated to deeper water, but not far from their spawning grounds. We caught both males and females here. This particular area was 9-13’ deep with a sandy bottom. There were tons fish in this particular area from what we could see with our electronics.

Right now, the fish are a little more spread out, but are still very hungry. After the spawn, they really put on the feed bag to regain some needed energy. You’ll want to stick with baits that can cover a lot of water. I personally prefer larger baits such as 2” twistertails on 1/16 (or 1/8) oz jigs. Probably my favorite is a 2” Exude twister tail in pink/white followed by Berkley Gulp 2” minnow grubs in white. I’ll also freeline Culprit paddletails and tassle tails. Many of the guys have been catching fish with Mini Mites as well.

Your best bet would be to just try different areas. Work an area with 10 or so casts, and move on until you find active fish. Watch your finder for baitfish (or fish) and work those areas well.

For crappies you should need any bait at this time. Play with retrieve speeds too.

Thanks tyler.